X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keilau View Post

Thank you for sharing and the detailed picture. I will get my Dremel tool out. The Mato cast are pretty low quality. I have to use Jeweller's files on it several times too.
    Glad to be of assistance. As it turns out, I too bought the metal machine gun with LED. I have a Sherman that I was planning on swapping the plastic for metal. I started to do it last night but chickened out. I was told by manufacture it was superglued in, and I would need debonder (which I have). So after giving it a neat & tidy soak in debonder, it didn't budge. The plastic around the inner turret mounting hole for the machine gun started to get soft & melt of course. Not wanting to destroy the thing, I gave up. I would be very interested in your results and how you went about doing it (if your swapping parts that is).

Comment

Originally posted by Zippersnapper View Post

Glad to be of assistance. As it turns out, I too bought the metal machine gun with LED. I have a Sherman that I was planning on swapping the plastic for metal. I started to do it last night but chickened out. I was told by manufacture it was superglued in, and I would need debonder (which I have). So after giving it a neat & tidy soak in debonder, it didn't budge. The plastic around the inner turret mounting hole for the machine gun started to get soft & melt of course. Not wanting to destroy the thing, I gave up. I would be very interested in your results and how you went about doing it (if your swapping parts that is).
      There are 2 version of the hull machine gun. A cast pewter one and a machined brass. Which one do you get?

The plastic gun on my Pershing is a single piece and glued to the hull with a 2.5mm tab. The slightest bending will break it off without hurting the tank hull wall. I drilled a much larger hole (5/16") to let the metal base through if it is the pewter one. The very thick rubbery dome which is the external piece CA glued to the wall outside. The wall has a ring to mark the dome location. This dome piece can hold the gun and allows it to be aimable. I worry about the gun metal piece falls out at the back so I glued it to the hull wall internally using hot glue.

On the Pershing, the wall behind the machine gun is a separate piece glued to the tank. I did not touch it besides drilling that big hole in the middle. The LED is not glued and can be easily moved. The wires are reconnected to the new LED.

Comment

😀
        Last edited by Zippersnapper; Apr 24, 2021, 11:31 PM. Reason: Error

Comment

Working...
        X