X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.3 vs 6.0 vs 7.0

I apologize for your the rookie type question but I could not find the information I am looking for. I have the opportunity to purchase a stug 3 upgraded metal version but it's a 5.3. Will I still be able to infrared with my other tanks? Can 7.0 play with 6.0 and 5.3? What can you guys tell me about the 5.3 is it worth it? I happen to think the Stug is a great looking tank

Originally posted by LakewoodTigerGunner View Post
    I apologize for your the rookie type question but I could not find the information I am looking for. I have the opportunity to purchase a stug 3 upgraded metal version but it's a 5.3. Will I still be able to infrared with my other tanks? Can 7.0 play with 6.0 and 5.3? What can you guys tell me about the 5.3 is it worth it? I happen to think the Stug is a great looking tank
    The 5.3 CANNOT IR battle with ANY system as it come from the factory. There are ways to make it do so, but they are largely bandaids and have spotty performance. Overall handling characteristics are challenging to master and not even close to what the new systems offer.

The 6.0 - 7.0 system easily interface with each other and are IR battle compatible.

Instagram @ fsttanks

Comment

Take a look at this thread I started last year. It'll answer a lot of your questions. A few of us have upgraded the StuG.

Hey guys. Knowing full well that there will be headaches in the future caused by this choice, I've bought a Heng Long Sturmgeschutz III. (Whisper: it has a 5.3 main board.) Why, you ask? Number of reasons. First, HL doesn't make a 6.0 version. I'm told by HL USA that they wouldn't make one until winter, if at all. Given this,

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

5.3 plays with 6.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexey View Post
          5.3 plays with 6.0.
          It does not because the 5.3 tanks did not come wired or set up with an IR system, they were BB only.

Comment

All 5.3 controllers can be BB and IR combat. I have 7 tanks of which three are 5.3, two are 6.0 and two are PX-18. They all play with IR, and they can all play with BB.

Comment

This is how the IR battle is connected in the 5.3 controller.
              Attached Files

Comment

If the 5.3 (5.2) controller only needs IR combat, set a jumper in the CH 3 connector.
                Attached Files

Comment

If the 5.3 (5.2) controller only needs IR combat, set a jumper in the CH 3 connector.
                  As I said the 5.3 do not come set up for IR battling from the factory. As you showed they must be modified for IR battling. This is well known, but even so because the 5.3 is not Tamiya compatible even with the simple IR system installed it is considered by clubs unexceptionable for field use.

To make it acceptable a second board like a MAKO needed to be installed which changed the outgoing IR code to match the Tamiya codes and vis versa, thus registering a hit. These boards worked ok but still left a lot to be desired.

All this of course wasn’t your original statement/question but for others reading this it was necessary to explain because simply adding an IR bulb and basic IR receiver does not magically make the 5.3 system anything but HL compatible. The 5.3 can read the old HL 6.0-7.0 IR code that is mixed in with the new Tamiya code. All in under 1 second of time that the bulb is actively sending an IR beam.

The old 5.3 is better served being replaced with a 6.0-7.0 system because these are far more reliable, well rounded and can interface with not only Tamiya systems but also aftermarket upgrade MFUs by CLARK and IBU.

Comment

The question was could 5.3 play with 6.0 and 7.0? They did not ask about Tamia. 6.0 and 6.1 are better than 5.3, I agree with that.

Comment

The question was could 5.3 play with 6.0 and 7.0? They did not ask about Tamia. 6.0 and 6.1 are better than 5.3, I agree with that.
                      Simply saying YES the 5.3 can, to a question that is technically NO (as the tank is shipped) is irresponsible and without the explanation as to the how to convert it to IR is not helping and in fact causes more confusion for those looking to buy their first tank and reading this thread(there are still companies selling old stocks of 5.3 tanks).

The 5.3 is in the past where it belongs and HL has moved on. The new standards for HL are aimed at matching the king of RC tanks, Tamiya. Hence the importance of compatible with the Tamiya IR protocols which are the industries standards.

Comment

Working...
                      X