X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track breaking tool maybe

Just bought this from Wish, cause I have a watch strap to shorten. But I see other possibilities for it Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210405-122554_Wish.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	307330

Originally posted by Sappo View Post
    Just bought this from Wish, cause I have a watch strap to shorten. But I see other possibilities for it Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210405-122554_Wish.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	307330
    If it works which it should it is “great out of the box” thinking to solve an issue we all have. 👍👍

Comment

I'll let you know when it gets here. I was thinking you might not even have to take the tracks off,,which would make our lives a lot easier

Comment

Sappo, what a great find! I’ve already ordered one. Even if the pin diameters are too thick for our track pins, which I doubt, a little filing can fix that. All it has to do is punch out the track pin enough to grasp with pliers. I’m thinking it could also be used to push the pins back in flush using one of the thicker pins. 💡💡💡💡💡 Six bucks on eBay.
        Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Sappo, I am hoping the one you got will work cause I will get that in a heartbeat. I have 2 different similar tools and neither one is wide enough to do the tracks. Having said that, tapping the pins out hasn't been much of an issue but it is nice to let the tool do the work.

May need to resort to this, should even go over winter tracks Click image for larger version

Name:	46.002inhand__54005.1477035627.jpg?c=2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	307527

Comment

Yeah I was looking at one like yours but then found the one I bought, nothing to say that the pin can't be trimmed up, I only need another 4 mm to use it on my widest set of tracks, m1a2, 38 mm

Comment

https://www.micromark.com/Trumpeter-...nk-Track-Links I found this, wonder if someone on here with a mill could machine one that would work on 1/16 tracks. seems like a relatively simple device. this one only adjusts to 30mms, and I dont think the lip is high enough for our needs, I suppose you could just put a sheetmetal shim under the adjustable plate to get it high enough to hold, still limited by being 30mms, I havnt ever miked them but I think it would work on Panzer III/IV and Sherman tracks, they are pretty slim.

Comment

Got mine, looks like it will work great, with one limitation. Maximum width track it can accommodate as is will be 1 1/2". IShermans, Panzer 3 & 4's no problem. Push the pin through an 1/8' and grab it with pliers. My King Tiger, however, sports 2" wide tracks. I guess they don't find too many 2" watch bands out there! I'm sure a workaround can be thought of. In fact, the 2 spare pins it came with could be used in a vise grip or pliers. Here's a shot of it pushing a pin out of two spare links. I also worked it on a track set already on a tank. Flip the tank over, grab some slack and push the pin out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	307903
                Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                  Got mine, looks like it will work great, with one limitation. Maximum width track it can accommodate as is will be 1 1/2". IShermans, Panzer 3 & 4's no problem. Push the pin through an 1/8' and grab it with pliers. My King Tiger, however, sports 2" wide tracks. I guess they don't find too many 2" watch bands out there! I'm sure a workaround can be thought of. In fact, the 2 spare pins it came with could be used in a vise grip or pliers. Here's a shot of it pushing a pin out of two spare links. I also worked it on a track set already on a tank. Flip the tank over, grab some slack and push the pin out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	307903
                  I looked on amazon and there is a kit that has the device you have there, and also a block designed to hold watchbands of differing thickness upright and hammer the pins out manually( hammer and pin punches also included with kit)

Comment

Here is a tool set I just got on ebay. It includes one of those gadgets, plus other useful items. I am planning to modify the tool to work with wider tracks at some point when I need it. I think that thing is a great idea !! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Watch-Band-...53.m2749.l2649

Comment

Well my "track breaking tool "arrived, did the job on the watch strap and then put it to it's true use. Fits the t34 and t90 without modification Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_104111.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	309917Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_104219.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	309918
                      Attached Files

Comment

Just got to modify it for the kv1, chally 2 and the m1a2 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_104415.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	309921thinking of removing the beveled part of the tool and trimming down the pin, will give me the necessary clearance for the wider tracks

Comment

Working...
                        X