X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heng long transmitter ANTENNA upgrade help

this is the next step in my project for building two remote control tanks with fpv view and airsoft so that my nephew and I can battle each other.

I am trying to upgrade the antenna in my heng long tank. It uses the 6.0 system.

I opened up the transmitter only to find, very much my surprise, that the only antenna was about a 2-inch wire soldered to the board and pointing forward. I had assumed that maybe there was at least a dipole antenna that extended into the black antenna nub that comes off the front of the controller but that is not the case.

I'm very new to all of this stuff, so I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

I had intended to purchase a dipole or other antenna kit that comes with the cable, connector, etc. However, finding that the existing antenna is just a wire soldered to the board I'm unsure how to upgrade this. Is it reasonable to plan to simply solder the wire that is on the board to the antenna wire that comes with the kit?

I've done some Google searching and I find conflicting answers regarding what that will do to transmission and reception.

​​​​​​Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Don't know about HL's antenna, but r/c aircraft antenna wires are coax cable. I learned this when one broke off in a telemetry data module. I'd make sure it isn't on our tanks.

oops, clarification: I'm talking about 2.4ghz systems. The old aircraft, and the old HL 27mhz antenna wires were single conductor.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Ok, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThumbs View Post
        this is the next step in my project for building two remote control tanks with fpv view and airsoft so that my nephew and I can battle each other.

I am trying to upgrade the antenna in my heng long tank. It uses the 6.0 system.

I opened up the transmitter only to find, very much my surprise, that the only antenna was about a 2-inch wire soldered to the board and pointing forward. I had assumed that maybe there was at least a dipole antenna that extended into the black antenna nub that comes off the front of the controller but that is not the case.

I'm very new to all of this stuff, so I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

I had intended to purchase a dipole or other antenna kit that comes with the cable, connector, etc. However, finding that the existing antenna is just a wire soldered to the board I'm unsure how to upgrade this. Is it reasonable to plan to simply solder the wire that is on the board to the antenna wire that comes with the kit?

I've done some Google searching and I find conflicting answers regarding what that will do to transmission and reception.

​​​​​​Any help with this would be greatly appreciated
        Way do you need to upgrade the antenna? The range of a 6.0 system is up to 150ft easily and as far as 300 with good batteries.

Yes it can be done but the need for it?

Comment

I'm hoping to put on an antenna that will help me get better signal penetration through obstructions.

I'm getting an easy 100 to 150 ft so long as the view is unobstructed and clear.

Comment

I'm hoping to put on an antenna that will help me get better signal penetration through obstructions.

I'm getting an easy 100 to 150 ft so long as the view is unobstructed and clear.
            What kind of “obstructions”?

Comment

Trees, fences, house, that sort of thing

Comment

Your new to this forum and your question is a little hinky. I have been in this hobby a long time and never heard anyone ask such a thing. I would cation that no one answer the OPs question.

Comment

What are you talking about? What is hinky about my question? I just finished discussing the same thing over chat with Stanley from RC Tank Legion.

There's nothing confusing about what I've asked, nefarious, or hinky.

I'm playing with remote control tanks with my 10 year old nephew.

I was under the impression this community existed to help members share, learn, and enjoy the hobby.

You've chosen to respond using a phrasing that is intentionally selected a characterize my question as having a arterial motives or false intent.

Can point out to me exactly what you think is "hinky" about my question?

Comment

What are you talking about? What is hinky about my question? I just finished discussing the same thing over chat with Stanley from RC Tank Legion.

There's nothing confusing about what I've asked, nefarious, or hinky.

I'm playing with remote control tanks with my 10 year old nephew.

I was under the impression this community existed to help members share, learn, and enjoy the hobby.

You've chosen to respond using a phrasing that is intentionally selected a characterize my question as having a arterial motives or false intent.

Can point out to me exactly what you think is "hinky" about my question?
                    It speaks for itself and is meant exactly as it was intended. You might be totally truthful in your request but I have lost friends to the flip side of toy RC remotes being used for deadly purposes and your question and answers scream toward the hinky.

Ref: Inland Regional Center 12/2/15 look it up.

Comment

Flip side of RC toy remotes?! Dude whatever. I'll go elsewhere for help. I don't know what's for the fantasy world you're living in, but I sure as hell don't need your contrived to drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

It speaks for itself and is meant exactly as it was intended. You might be totally truthful in your request but I have lost friends to the flip side of toy RC remotes being used for deadly purposes and your question and answers scream toward the hinky.

Ref: Inland Regional Center 12/2/15 look it up.
                        Bloody hell that's a stretch and half, could say the same to a person wanting to rent a uhaul and the London Bridge 2017.

It's not outside the realm of reason for someone with an RC vehicle that has an FPV camera in it to want to extend the range. Hell I'd say anyone that throws an FPV camera in their tank would want more then 150' line of sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_19 View Post

Bloody hell that's a stretch and half, could say the same to a person wanting to rent a uhaul and the London Bridge 2017.

It's not outside the realm of reason for someone with an RC vehicle that has an FPV camera in it to want to extend the range. Hell I'd say anyone that throws an FPV camera in their tank would want more then 150' line of sight.
                          It might be a stretch until it is not. Been in this hobby for decades and have never once heard anyone want or need to extend the reception of a toy tank receiver to be able to operate beyond 150 feet while out of line of sight and behind structures. To me that raises an eyebrow. If it causes someone to be butt hurt then they need to explain themselves in a manor that makes more sense. The OP gave very short answers to my questions.

There are countless incidents in Iraq were toy RC remotes with extended receiving ability were used to command detonated IEDs that killed or wounded soldiers and civilians. I have a few friends that were wounded by such IEDs. And in 2015 terrorist used toy RC remotes in an attempt to blow up a Christmas party close to where I live, I had friends heading to attending that party and by God’s good grace they were late.

I guess my background makes me a question things others would simply glaze over.

If the OPs intentions were pure, I apologize for hurting his feeling. But not knowing him and given his newest to this forum, I would rather error on the side of caution.

Comment

@Delta_19

Thanks for the support but don't worry about it. I found the information elsewhere that I needed. It's not like it is a mystery, it's readily available on the internet. I came here hoping to get into the community, share in the hobby and learn from others with common interest.

Had Rubicon99 clearly stated what he was implying, which is that he apparently thinks I'm trying to make some sort of remote bomb or some thing, I might have been able to have some sort of meaningful discussion about it.

Apparently he has set himself up of some sort of hobby cop.

It was late last night when all these comments landed and I forgot to remove my account. I will do so now. If you guys want to keep bitching at each other, have at it.

Comment

Im going to say this and let me clear. People that have been in the military and other tactical fields in recent years use tech like what you want to build for highly tactical situations that involve significant violence to neutralize threats and protect life.

As I was reading your first post my thought was, this guy wants to build a breaching robot. Im sorry, thats where my mind went to right away.

What you want to make can add an element of fun I to your play I guess, but really is not necessary and there are all sorts of red flags there.

In the current situation we have in the US with Antifa and BLM and militias having radical followers that want to do violence and hurt and kill people, I dont feel we should discuss how to develop a toy into something like a recon or breaching robot on an open forum for all to read, especally when we do not know you personally. Im sorry, no offense to you, but please find an engineer that you are friends with and knows you are a great guy just playing with your nephew to help you out with your build. And please do not post how to do it publicly.
                              RC tank parts and accessories I make
                              www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

As someone that's in right now you're both paranoid idiots.

Comment

As someone that's in right now you're both paranoid idiots.
                                  Thank you for your service.

I am sure your wisdom is a sign of your position, training and experience. I will more than happily wear the idiots badge proudly right next my other badges and honors.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Thank you for your service.

I am sure your wisdom is a sign of your position, training and experience. I will more than happily wear the idiots badge proudly right next my other badges and honors.
                                    Don't you have a uhaul center to be staking out?

Comment

Don't you have a uhaul center to be staking out?
                                      What did I hurt your feeling too....Awwweeeee I am sorry.

Comment

As someone who's in right now and seen this tech, your not paranoid enough.
                                        RC tank parts and accessories I make
                                        www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Working...
                                        X