X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panzer 1 A (x 2)

Is there an AA (Armorics Anonymous) for people like me?

I decided to start a number of projects, all requiring the acquisition of parts from many sources - eBay, China, Spain, Hungary, etc. One never knows when they'll show up, so I work on whatever I have parts on hand for. Two projects are Takon 1:16 Panzer 1A's, one a DAK scheme and the other a Panzer 1A Breda from the Spanish Civil War. The latter is a Mig Ammo special edition based on the Takom kit.

For both of these, I wanted to utilize an upgraded gearing system, as my previous Panzer 1B using a Heng Long 1:30 transmission works but took a lot of tinkering to do so. I'd seen someone use gearboxes from an Arduino robot tank chassis kit. I ordered two from Hong Kong, and a Takom Panzer 1A from Singapore. Both showed up recently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PzKpfw 1A 05.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	315582
    First and critical order of business was to ensure I could install the gearboxes into the hull. Bottom line is yes! It requires removal of some of the gearbox casings to fit hull front and top, but that was done in an hour or so, thanks to Mr. Dremel's invention. The Arduino motors are originally powered by four AAA batteries, max 4.8 volts. I'm using a Heng Long 1:30 tank main board which runs on a 1S lipo, max 4.2 volts, so they are compatible.

Name:	PzKpfw 1A 04.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	315583

So, looks like I can proceed. Right now, the boxes are secured by double sided servo tape, but ultimately they'll be glued in.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

So far so good. I assembled the suspension, and tracks for one side, all works well. The photo shows the cutout on the gear boxes, and the hull front which required the cutouts. The black hubs you see in the preceding photo were cut down and sanded flat, and the sprockets were glued to them. You can also see that the battery and main board don't take up much room.I removed the speaker housing from the Sherman and glued it to the rear. The enclosure amplifies the volume. I'd drilled some small holes in the back but it isn't very apparent.

Name:	PzKpfw 1A 06.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	315899

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Another progress report: literally one hour after I finished assembling the plastic track links, the mail carrier brought a set of metal tracks! I'd ordered them from Beijing China so I had no idea when they would arrive. So I did a full court press and assembled them in a couple of days, because I wanted to see how they would perform. Verdict: excellent. They are more flexible than the plastic links, so the tank runs smoother. They went together with minimal fuss. It's like knitting, just go along in a trance, and sooner or later it's done.

Name:	PzKpfw 1A 07.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	315987

Comment

Looking really good. I enjoy your ingenuity.
          RC tank parts and accessories I make
          www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

I made twin machine gun light-ups for my Pz 1A. I posted a video clip on my Instagram account, socalbobs. I took two red LED's from my HL 1:30 Shermans, some lucite rod as light pipes, and brass tubes and hooked it up to the flashing MG LED circuit on the HL board. Go on over and take a look.

Comment

Another progress report. I hinged the engine and crew hatches with wire. I found the technique in a Vandra conversion instruction. The view ports are all glued open. Wouldn't you want that in the desert? Lots of detail, painting, weathering and fixits yet to come.

Name:	PzKpfw 1A DAK 01.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	316909

Name:	PzKpfw 1A DAK 02.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	316910

The shapes in the engine compartment are actually the motor box that runs the turret rotation. The blue inside is the battery.

Comment

Damn, that's nice. And inspirational.
                Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

Hi guys, more stuff..

Title of the thread included the phrase (x2). #2 just showed up.

First though, progress on #1,the DAK 1A. Shaping up, still needs dust or more streaking grime. I'm not a "put as much mud on as I can" type. In real life, mud is removed as soon as feasible, as it degrades performance. Funny, I modelled this to have openable hatches since I figured in Africa one would want ventilation. Later I read that they did that as much as possible.

Name:	zKpfw 1A DAK 03.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	317124
                    Second, here is the boxtop of #2. It's a fascinating backstory, basically an aftermarket modification of a 20mm cannon to counteract the enemy's T-26's during the Spanish Civil War. Only four were made. Of course, mine will be motile and radio controlled. The model is from Mig Ammo, who contracted with Takom for the variant.

Name:	PzKpfw 1A Breda 02.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	317125

In case anyone wants one, they're as scarce as hen's teeth. I found two sources; Lucky Models in Hong Kong and Michigan Toy Soldier Company in..wait for it..Michigan!

Comment

FYI, my DAK 1A won RC Tank Warfare’s July Tank of the Month poll. If anyone from here voted for me, thanks!

edit: (or tried...thanks, Oldwolf!)

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                        FYI, my DAK 1A won RC Tank Warfare’s July Tank of the Month poll. If anyone from here voted for me, thanks!

edit: (or tried...thanks, Oldwolf!)
                        I voted for you. Although that M47 almost pulled my vote away...LOL it was pretty cool too. You know I am sucker for Cold War tanks.

Comment

Yeah, if he had presented it better - setting, detailing, it would have been a temptation no doubt!

Comment

Working...
                          X