X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther G 7.0

Toucan is advertising Heng Long Panther G’s v7.0 on eBay. Various versions, metal tracked, metal tracks & road wheels, etc. Musta got a container recently. I’ve got a bid in for one, we’ll see if the suspension has been updated when it arrives.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

FYI:

Just received mine; 7.0, steel gears, metal tracks, sprockets and idlers. Plastic road wheels. I like it! The on/off switch is under the gunner's hatch, on top. Regarding the suspension, I don't have an earlier one to compare with, but it doesn't seem to sag at all, plenty of travel, in front and all along.

As others have noted, there are a lot of changes to the control inputs; not driving, but all the options. I'll have to keep the manual addendum handy!

The most surprising touch for me is the camo job. It's as good as I would have done, and quite accurate based on internet info; dark green base with red brown and sand yellow patches. Apparently this scheme was instituted in December 1944. Instead of repainting overall, I'll use it under weathering detailing.

One trivial change; the smoke liquid comes in a glass eyedropper type bottle. I'm guessing the plastic bottles leaked too often in transit.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
      FYI:

Just received mine; 7.0, steel gears, metal tracks, sprockets and idlers. Plastic road wheels. I like it! The on/off switch is under the gunner's hatch, on top. Regarding the suspension, I don't have an earlier one to compare with, but it doesn't seem to sag at all, plenty of travel, in front and all along.

As others have noted, there are a lot of changes to the control inputs; not driving, but all the options. I'll have to keep the manual addendum handy!

The most surprising touch for me is the camo job. It's as good as I would have done, and quite accurate based on internet info; dark green base with red brown and sand yellow patches. Apparently this scheme was instituted in December 1944. Instead of repainting overall, I'll use it under weathering detailing.

One trivial change; the smoke liquid comes in a glass eyedropper type bottle. I'm guessing the plastic bottles leaked too often in transit.
      Hello! I saw your post and looked at EBay at this Stug. I have never gotten a Heng Long. Would you have any opinion on this listing?
      Attached Files

Comment

I've had the 6.0 HL Panther G from Motion for a year is so. It has plastic tracks but I had to tighten up the suspension in the front to keep it from sagging. If yours is OK with metal tracks they must have improved the suspension.
        It's a nice looking tank but likes to shed it's tracks constantly. Tightening up the tracks helps but it loses the nice scale looking sag behind the drive sprocket.
        Maybe won't be problem with metal tracks.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by RT Asp View Post

Hello! I saw your post and looked at EBay at this Stug. I have never gotten a Heng Long. Would you have any opinion on this listing?
          Seems reasonable, but…who is the seller? Is it from US stock, in other words where does it ship from? If it is the US, make an offer low enough to pay for most of the shipping.

Comment

Seems reasonable, but…who is the seller? Is it from US stock, in other words where does it ship from? If it is the US, make an offer low enough to pay for most of the shipping.
            Thank you! It is from ToucanHobby store and I think it ships from New Jersey. LoL…Sorry, please forgive my lack of knowledge. If I get this, it will be the first item I ever purchase from eBay.
            Attached Files

Comment

I guessed it was Toucan. Good seller. That’s who I buy from. You can usually offer 15% less, they may counteroffer. You’ll like the Stug. Just remember, tanks are like potato chips….

Comment

I guessed it was Toucan. Good seller. That’s who I buy from. You can usually offer 15% less, they may counteroffer. You’ll like the Stug. Just remember, tanks are like potato chips….
                Thank you! I know they’re addictive! I have five Taigen and three Tamiya (two still in box…lol), but this will be my first Heng Long if I get it. I can tell this hobby is expensive, but it keeps me from buying more firearms which makes my wife happy. However, I think this group bears a lot of responsibility since all these posts and the displaying of pretty tanks is just so motivating…. I hope to have some spruced up tanks soon. Maybe even one day engage in some of those upgrade/swap projects that I’ve seen. I have some Tamiya TBUs, LegoDEIs, and 1 IBU2 Ultimate that I have to figure out how to install. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you! I know they’re addictive! I have five Taigen and three Tamiya (two still in box…lol), but this will be my first Heng Long if I get it. I can tell this hobby is expensive, but it keeps me from buying more firearms which makes my wife happy. However, I think this group bears a lot of responsibility since all these posts and the displaying of pretty tanks is just so motivating…. I hope to have some spruced up tanks soon. Maybe even one day engage in some of those upgrade/swap projects that I’ve seen. I have some Tamiya TBUs, LegoDEIs, and 1 IBU2 Ultimate that I have to figure out how to install. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again!
                  I just want to share with you the Toucan direct website. The same Stug III on there is only $188. You can check out and see the final price with shipping. Single item check out only. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post

I just want to share with you the Toucan direct website. The same Stug III on there is only $188. You can check out and see the final price with shipping. Single item check out only. Good luck!

https://www.toucanhobby.com/us-stock...al-tracks.html
                    Wow!!! Thank you!!!

Comment

Wow!!! Thank you!!!
                      From one Stug III lover to another "potential" one :-)

Comment

Opened up the tank today and did a bunch of rewiring. I replaced the stock IR bulb in the mantlet with one from DAK RC, installed a laser in the mantlet using the LED2 aiming light circuit on the board for fun, an LED bulb in the barrel using the LED1 launch flashing light circuit, and of course the wiring for a Lego DEI IR receiver.

The laser in the mantlet:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Laser Light.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	330687

The laser on, about 5 feet away:

Name:	Laser On.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	330686

IR hit on target. The laser dot bounced with the tank recoil!

Name:	Laser Hit.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	330685

The laser bulbs cost $12 for 10!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Opened up the tank today and did a bunch of rewiring. I replaced the stock IR bulb in the mantlet with one from DAK RC, installed a laser in the mantlet using the LED2 aiming light circuit on the board for fun, an LED bulb in the barrel using the LED1 launch flashing light circuit, and of course the wiring for a Lego DEI IR receiver.

The laser in the mantlet:

Name:	Laser Light.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	330687

The laser on, about 5 feet away:

Name:	Laser On.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	330686

IR hit on target. The laser dot bounced with the tank recoil!

Name:	Laser Hit.jpg
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	330685

The laser bulbs cost $12 for 10!
                          Incredible! How long would you say it took you to get comfortable in doing modifications in general?

Comment

Modifying Heng Long tanks is really just a matter of taking them apart with a screwdriver, they're very friendly to this. I can't think of one that isn't screw and bolt built. You just have to remember how they fit for when you reassemble them. There will be times you look at a part in horror not knowing which piece goes where, but practice helps.

Two most important tools? Screwdriver and a fine tip soldering gun.

I also fly r/c aircraft, so one gets an attitude that once you buy a plane, that money is gone whether you crash it on its first flight or if you own it for years. Same for tanks. If it breaks and you can't fix it, you still had your fun up to then.

Comment

Great advice! I haven’t considered Heng Long tanks before this group but I am already planning to add them to the lineup. I’ve seen some of the great work you guys do, I’ve got the screwdriver and the soldering gun (will need to learn how to use the soldering gun…lol)

Comment

Can we see some pictures on the side of your Panther with its new paint? thank you!

Comment

Not new paint by me, it's the stock HL job. I just feel that for those not wanting to repaint, it's accurate enough to serve as a base for whatever weathering one wanted. Having said that, it's not perfect, so I may redo it. If there are deficiencies, I want them to be mine! I'm waiting for some Peddinghaus decals I ordered so that I can match the scheme to them. Here's a pre-1945 scheme on a 1:1 scale Panther, just for fun. Sorta like zebras, is it brown and yellow on green, or brown and green on yellow?

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	330734Click image for larger version

Name:	Panther 01.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	330733

Hey Sureshot, interesting observation about the tracks - it happened to me. I picked up a bunch of 1/4" gravel driving around, it got stuck in between the two rows of teeth and pushed the track to one side on the idler. I'll have to keep an eye on this..

Comment

Thanks for posting. It looks kinda good enough. Unlike the displayed one I got :-( I put a dark yellow coat on mine over the weekend.

Name:	IMG_8369.JPG
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	330739

Comment

My painting pattern will be like this. I am still waiting for the side skirts from the mail :-(

Name:	IMG_8137.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	330741

Comment

And here is another reference from me.... :-)

Name:	IMG_8371A.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	330743

Name:	V20A.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	330745
                                        Attached Files

Comment