X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAS WERK STUG III (TAKOM)

I came home from work today and it was at the front door with the Stug III label at the lower left side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8548A.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	332460

I unboxed it and there it was with a "thank you" note from Andy.

Name:	IMG_8549A.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	332464

Comment

Are you keeping this static or using the upper on the HL?

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post
        Are you keeping this static or using the upper on the HL?
        I am going to start working on the upper hull first. I just can't wait to see how much detail it has over the HL. Then I will try to see if it matches the HL lower and make it the RC version the lazy way. I did the same with the upper Trumpeter SU-100 on the HL chassis. I will also watch on youtube to see how Andy built his and see if there is a way to make the lower hull become RC too.

Comment

I also wonder how well it matches with the Taigen PZ3 lower. Looks like you will be busy for a bit.

Comment

I also wonder how well it matches with the Taigen PZ3 lower. Looks like you will be busy for a bit.
            Yeah, a week at least! 😉 David's a quick worker.
            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I know that the front of the Pz III doesn't have the additional armor plate with all the nuts and bolts on the Stug III.

Comment

As much as I want to open it, I would like to finish the KV85, put a long barrel on my M4 to make it a Firefly, side skirts work on the jagd V and panther. Then I will get to this kit :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post

Yeah, a week at least! 😉 David's a quick worker.
                  LOL, Well I already have the paint scheme in mind. I can also make my own side skirts too :-)

Name:	IMG_8550AB.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	332484

Comment

That's fine David, you just multi-task, besides, you probably don't have the discipline to leave the box unopened for long....

Comment

That's fine David, you just multi-task, besides, you probably don't have the discipline to leave the box unopened for long....
                      You are absolutely right. I will wake up early tomorrow morning. While all members in my family are still sleeping as it will be raining outside in Southern CA, I will open it and enjoy studying through it :-)

Comment

FYI, Andy's Hobby headquarters is showing a 1:16 Panzer III J kit by Das Werk due out in April. You can see his video on Youtube. It has some barrel and armor options...

Better stock up on HL Pz III kits!
                        Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Also, FYI, the upper hull of the Das Werk Stug III does not match with the lower HL hull. I worked on the upper part of the kit yesterday. I will assemble it and will try to install the HL gearboxes into it to see if I can convert it to RC. If it does not work, I can cover the sprocket areas up and make it a displayed model.

Comment

I tried to work on the lower hull last night. I had successfully installed the HL ML49 gearboxes. I also have to use the HL tracks and HL sprockets just to make it runs right. No need to use the Takom tracks. The guy on Youtube stated that it took him 3 hours to put the Takom track links together :-(. No need to buy a whole HL Stug III just to get that lower hull. It doesn't fit anyway.

Name:	IMG_8562.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	332768

Comment

High speed testing. So far so good.

Name:	IMG_8589.PNG
Views:	297
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	332855

Comment

Bit confused. You need the lower HL hull or not?
                                Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

I think David concluded the HL doesn't mate properly to the Takom, so he is turning the entire Takom from static to RC with HL electronics + gearbox+ sprockets + tracks.

Comment

Yeap! I keep the Takom wheels and idlers on the tank for now since they are still functional.

Comment

Update....The assembly and HL electronic installation are done. It can run. I gave it a front light from my panzer III spare part box. It has the red LED light in the driver view box and a red LED launch flashing light in the muzzle brake. No gun elevation. The reason I had to paint the lower hull because the wheels had 2 parts on the sprue. There were the wheels and there were the tires. I painted the tires black and painted the rest of the lower hull dark yellow. Then I could attach the black tires on to the wheels so I could test the tank if it could run. This was was much easier than painting the tire one by one together with the wheel when the work was done.

Name:	IMG_8594.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	332921

Name:	IMG_8598.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	332922

Comment

Looks great, are you going to swap in a Mato Notek? Did they include the metal barrel?

Comment

Working...
                                        X