X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooben T-55A

UPS just dropped it off... What troubles am I in for?

The plan is to build it out and finish with HL 6.1 electronics..

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220209_173219.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.6 KB ID:	337016

Tamiya Flakpanzer Gepard
    Torro M4A3 (76) Sherman
    HL M4A3 Sherman
    Torro Late Tiger 1
    Torro Panther G
    HL Jagdpanther
    HL Early Tiger 1
    Hooben T-55A
    HL King Tiger
    HL Panzer III
    HL T-34/85
    HL Stug III

Originally posted by Kurtz View Post
    UPS just dropped it off... What troubles am I in for?

The plan is to build it out and finish with HL 6.1 electronics..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220209_173219.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	337016

Tamiya Flakpanzer Gepard
    Torro M4A3 (76) Sherman
    HL M4A3 Sherman
    Torro Late Tiger 1
    Torro Panther G
    HL Jagdpanther
    HL Early Tiger 1
    Hooben T-55A
    HL King Tiger HL
    Panzer III
    HL T-34/85
    HL Stug III
    It is actually not a bad tank. By far Hoobens best offering. With a 6.1 it will be a good handling tank.

Comment

A friend of mine has one of those and it looks like a good kit. The HL 6.1 system is a good economical choice for it. They were used all over the world so lots of choices for color schemes and countries.
      Just out of curiosity did you buy it directly from Hooben and if so how long for shipping?
      Steve
      ​​​​

Comment

I’m told the plastic is very tough to glue, plastic solvents don’t seem to melt the parts together like a usual plastic kit, Try plastruct abs cement, or gulp, the old testers thick glue in the orange tube. MEK might work if it’s available in your state.
        good luck and please post a build progress of it.
        RC tank parts and accessories I make
        www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
          A friend of mine has one of those and it looks like a good kit. The HL 6.1 system is a good economical choice for it. They were used all over the world so lots of choices for color schemes and countries.
          Just out of curiosity did you buy it directly from Hooben and if so how long for shipping?
          Steve
          ​​​​

bought it off Amazon.. had never seen one offered there, just popped up one day in my searches.. paid around $300.. arrived in four or five days...

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
            I’m told the plastic is very tough to glue, plastic solvents don’t seem to melt the parts together like a usual plastic kit, Try plastruct abs cement, or gulp, the old testers thick glue in the orange tube. MEK might work if it’s available in your state.
            good luck and please post a build progress of it.
            I happen to have all three.. a couple bottles of plastruct cement.. a tube of the ole faithful testors... and a can of mek..

Thanks for the heads-up on the plastic..

As I get into it this weekend I'll post pics..

Comment

I have the T-55 with the HL 6.1. It took some work to build (there's advice online) but is a great tank when finished. The barrel recoil was probably the most difficult part. With smoker and barrel smoke the hull is pretty full, and I use a small 2S lipo. It's definitely worth the effort. The comments about glue are correct - polystyrene solvent cement definitely does not work.

Comment

Do you think medium CA would work on the Hooben plastic?

Steve

Comment

Do you think medium CA would work on the Hooben plastic?

Steve
                  Yes. I use CA almost exclusively on model tank plastics and have for a very long time.

Comment

I picked up an older version a while back that has the Tamiya style recoil and elevation rather than the servos. Looks like it should be fairly easy to put together despite having a lot of parts. I have not had the time to start it yet.

Are you going to do a build log?

Comment

Originally posted by Barmonkey View Post
                      Are you going to do a build log?
                      I had planned on starting a build thread last weekend... unfortunately, Covid had other ideas. (positive test on Saturday)
                      as soon as I get past the fatigue I'll do a 'box opening' of sorts with plenty of pics.

I was able to locate a set of metal tracks and they were delivered today...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220215_151844.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	337566

Comment

Get well soon!
                        I bought my friends T55 kit a couple days ago but won't be building it for a while after other projects. Can't wait to see your build.
                        Where do you find metal tracks?

Steve

Comment

Where do you find metal tracks?

Steve
                          From what I read the company that was making them quit..

I found them three places: the Hooben website, another site in Germany, and the Hooben store on Amazon..

The Amazon option seemed the easiest and was a few dollars less than the other two.. took around ten days to receive..

Comment

Working...
                          X