X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph.g.briggs View Post
    I am new here and don't want to hijack this thread, but I thought I could post a few more mockups of some far-off-in-the-future UIs that would be cool to implement for the fpvs.

Let me know if that is something you would like to see posted here, or if I should start a different topic to lay out my thoughts for building this biathalon tank. Or if something this detailed for a particular build is not in keeping with these forums.

Let me know. Thanks for all the thoughts so far!
    Too late

I'm already busy with getting someone else involved in the task.
    Hopefully he'll join this thread.

It is for sure worth looking for a solution, and why not using this thread as a foundation.
    If it evolves positive another thread may be appropriate but until then?
    Just my 2222222222cents.

CCC

Comment

So both you and Joseph are going to try and create the crewed tank? May be good to have it's own dedicated thread...

I like the idea CCC has of just using one transmitter and pull the switches off that the gunner (or commander if you choose to have him control a function). To have Turret turn and gun elevation along with main gun firing come out of the transmitter via wires and go to a dummy transmitter would simplify what you need to have in the tank itself, which would just be the FPV related hardware, three cameras, three VTXs, servos for pan and zoom (still don't know how you'd do that) and receivers for each of them with a battery to power it all. The VTX's and receivers are small. I'll attach some suggestions. The cameras can be nano size or slightly larger and having them on or in the tank may be a project in itself especially if you want them mounted on a servo.

Transmitter and receiver for the pan servos (this is just an example, there are many choices). You can have all three servos controlled by the one receiver. It would be very easy to take the transmitter apart and pull out the potentiometers the sticks control and have up to four separate pan controls. It's very inexpensive so you aren't out much if you screw it up- Hobby King 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 1)

Servos. If you look at my pictures early in this thread mounting a camera on a servo is super easy, you can just hot glue one on a servo arm. a tiny 4g is fine as you don't need a servo to be powerful for this. Turnigy TGY-1601A Analog Servo 1.0kg /0.08sec /6g (hobbyking.com)

There are a lot of choices of what to do with cameras and the video transmitters. As Bob has said the AIO, all in ones, typically have poor video and are wide angle. But they are very cheap and easy, it's all in one and they can be powered off a single cell LiPo. If you have the room for one it's a good idea to get one that the picture can be flipped so the antenna can be pointed down to make mounting easier, here is an example. Of course getting one that has the camera attached by wires like this makes it even easier. 25mW is enough power.

Those AIO's are cheap and you get what you pay for. A good camera will be much more expensive $30-$50 and then you need a separate VTX and probably an antennae. If that is the way one of you wants to go I can post some examples for those items.

Some or all of this can be powered from the MFU, the Heng Long module, there is a wi-fi output you can use but if you do you should cut the voltage to what the servos and VTX prefer with a small BEC. Or you can use a small 1S LiPo battery.

The links are all examples of what I'm talking about and there may be better or worse examples....

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
        So both you and Joseph are going to try and create the crewed tank? May be good to have it's own dedicated thread...

I like the idea CCC has of just using one transmitter and pull the switches off that the gunner (or commander if you choose to have him control a function). To have Turret turn and gun elevation along with main gun firing come out of the transmitter via wires and go to a dummy transmitter would simplify what you need to have in the tank itself, which would just be the FPV related hardware, three cameras, three VTXs, servos for pan and zoom (still don't know how you'd do that) and receivers for each of them with a battery to power it all. The VTX's and receivers are small. I'll attach some suggestions. The cameras can be nano size or slightly larger and having them on or in the tank may be a project in itself especially if you want them mounted on a servo.

Transmitter and receiver for the pan servos (this is just an example, there are many choices). You can have all three servos controlled by the one receiver. It would be very easy to take the transmitter apart and pull out the potentiometers the sticks control and have up to four separate pan controls. It's very inexpensive so you aren't out much if you screw it up- Hobby King 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 1)

Servos. If you look at my pictures early in this thread mounting a camera on a servo is super easy, you can just hot glue one on a servo arm. a tiny 4g is fine as you don't need a servo to be powerful for this. Turnigy TGY-1601A Analog Servo 1.0kg /0.08sec /6g (hobbyking.com)

There are a lot of choices of what to do with cameras and the video transmitters. As Bob has said the AIO, all in ones, typically have poor video and are wide angle. But they are very cheap and easy, it's all in one and they can be powered off a single cell LiPo. If you have the room for one it's a good idea to get one that the picture can be flipped so the antenna can be pointed down to make mounting easier, here is an example. Of course getting one that has the camera attached by wires like this makes it even easier. 25mW is enough power.

Those AIO's are cheap and you get what you pay for. A good camera will be much more expensive $30-$50 and then you need a separate VTX and probably an antennae. If that is the way one of you wants to go I can post some examples for those items.

Some or all of this can be powered from the MFU, the Heng Long module, there is a wi-fi output you can use but if you do you should cut the voltage to what the servos and VTX prefer with a small BEC. Or you can use a small 1S LiPo battery.

The links are all examples of what I'm talking about and there may be better or worse examples....
        Hi Evan D,
        It is Joseph's Initiative, I just try to help with my suggestion and if I can, with getting others interested as well.
        My Job as a trucker will not give me a chance to participate much in any activities until I retire. (a few years from now)
        But what i can do is motivate people to participate in an obviously old, set aside, quest.
        According to Bob, people have been thinking about a multi crew tank option earlier, but no success it seems.
        The Idea about a multi transmitter combination might be the breakthrough that was/is neccessary?
        It would open the way for other applications too, me thinks.
        Like a warship battle.
        The FPV would than be the sugar on the icing but I could also see how tankers would be inclined to try that without FPV in one of the organised battles first.
        If all you need to do is connect two transmitters (nonFPV version) that might be cool enough?
        ---
        So what I'm getting at with all the above:
        It would be great if people participated with ideas and suggestions, just like you did.

The more the merrier.

I will certainly pick up on your suggestions for mini fpv cameras.
        CCC

Comment

On another note:
          I was very please with my first fpv experience. see post5.
          Here are some findings:
          I run the HL Pershing for about 33 min before low voltage cut out.
          That included several stops for readjustments or lost connection issues.
          Using 1800 maH Lion, I guess that would give me 20 min real battle time with all activities.
          I had the camera on a separate 2S 800 Lipo and recharged it with about 250 maH.
          If I had it connected to the main tank battery, that may take away to much runing time?
          What is your experience?
          ---
          For now I might keep an external transferrable fpv-set and bat combo that I can attach to all tanks.
          Need to get more experience. (another long shot)

CCC

Comment

I run Hobby Star 5200 2S LiPo's in mine so the FPV/ Head Tracking doesn't really cut down my time. I can run hours on a charge, on a couple smaller/ lighter tanks I can run all afternoon...

Comment

Thanks, looks like I should stop buying 1800's.
              They were conveniently available here in Canada.
              I have 9 tanks total by now, all HL. So I have plenty of run time when I'm by myself driving up to 4 tanks at a time.
              That is where my current approach of a detachable FPV unit comes from.
              not pretty but once I look at the screen it doesn't matter much.
              Your advise with AIO sets that can be upside down installed is very tempting to try next.
              CCC

Comment

The simplest method to have two operators for one tank (non-FPV) would be to rewire two transmitters. The hot master has batteries, transmits and runs the turret and guns. The secondary transmitter is cold, no batteries. Cut the right gimbal wires in the master and reroute them with an extension to the right gimbal of the secondary, so that transmitter can only operate the motors. The hot Tx is for the gunner/commander, the cold is for the driver. Add an inline plug in the extension so if the crew moves apart it will disconnect without damage.

The FPV cameras would be a separate system, to be added when and if desired for one or both operators. If one FPV is used, I'd make it for the driver, so that the commander would have to direct his travel.
                Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Here is my first ever Balsa scratch build.
                  Piggyback FPV box.
                  Yes its bulky but it helps with simply moving from one tank to another.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fpv piggyback box.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	352425

Will take/post some on board vids later.
                  CCC

Comment

I just did the Heng Long FPV add-on, on my Abrams. It's super compact, and although without sound I could easily see one in the turret, and one in the hull. My 360 slip ring had power on it, which is on any time the tank is on so that would leave the power output for the driver position in the hull. Maybe I need to get another camera to test this out, it sounds doable for sure especially with Bob's TX mod suggestions.

Clay

Comment

Originally posted by ccarley View Post
                      I just did the Heng Long FPV add-on, on my Abrams. It's super compact, and although without sound I could easily see one in the turret, and one in the hull. My 360 slip ring had power on it, which is on any time the tank is on so that would leave the power output for the driver position in the hull. Maybe I need to get another camera to test this out, it sounds doable for sure especially with Bob's TX mod suggestions.

Clay
                      Hi Clay,
                      good to see you here too!
                      I just got a chance yesterday to enjoy some tank fpv driving after several small tests.

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	353146

I will make a video later.
                      I was driving the two tanks simultaneiously while using my fpv screen.
                      That was quite challenging, need to get used to steer one tank with each hand.
                      It was extremely exiting nevertheless.
                      ---
                      Did you buy the stock HL Fpv version with the wifi connection?
                      How does it work for you?

CCC

Comment

Originally posted by cpt.chaos canada View Post

Hi Clay,
                        good to see you here too!
                        I just got a chance yesterday to enjoy some tank fpv driving after several small tests.

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	353146

I will make a video later.
                        I was driving the two tanks simultaneiously while using my fpv screen.
                        That was quite challenging, need to get used to steer one tank with each hand.
                        It was extremely exiting nevertheless.
                        ---
                        Did you buy the stock HL Fpv version with the wifi connection?
                        How does it work for you?

CCC
                        I'll have to get a good recording, but yes, I have the stock HL fpv with WiFi. Although there's a touch of latency, it's totally usable but I kept the antenna horizontal rather than vertical inside the turret. Testing in the backyard had no issues with signal but I didn't go around any corners of the house, which could be problematic due to the stucco siding (with wire mesh).

I'll see what I can do about getting a video uploaded. The only bummer is no audio!

Clay

Comment

Thanks for the response Clay.
                          My camera doesn't have audio either but it is still a cool toy to play with!
                          Was busy to find an appropriate background music for my vid, takes forever (because I'm picky about that)
                          CCC

Comment

Here it is, my first "real" FPV video creation.

Critics, comments and suggestions are welcome!

CCC

Comment

Looks great! Nice battlefield!
                              Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Really nice job! My 7 yo tank commander said, "Cool movie!" I say I want vodka and dance!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                  X