Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does one remove the turret from the King Tiger? Heng Long Henschel Turret

Turret gear grinding when turning to port.
    how does one remove the turret from the King Tiger? Heng Long Henschel Turret

This advice is for the current versions of HL tanks. Older ones have different wiring, but the physical removal is the same.

Open the tank hull by unscrewing the screws on the underside. (There may be two extras hiding behind the treads near the back you'd have to remove too.)
    Look at the underside of the hull top half.
    There are wires you will need to unplug from the main board if you want to separate the hull and turret. I highly recommend you mark them some way so you can replace them during re-assembly. The main board has circuits marked in raised letters.
    Unscrew the ring gear you see there. This allows the turret to be detached from the hull.
    The turret has two parts, top and bottom. Unscrew them if you want to get deeper.

Good luck! Opening up for maintenance is an essential, and actually fun, part of this hobby.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

thank you

Comment

How goes the KT progress? I painted mine with rattle cans. Color is bolder but I like it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5224.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	345215

Comment

Looks good! I use a brown wash or pigments afterwards to tone down the colors.

Comment

Thanks SoCal. That is on the list. Ordered the Mega Steam today and put a sun sail over the diorama. It's getting hot now. I guess I will need more beer.

Comment

Do I remove all screws from bottom of body? i see four deep one's and two "shallow" ones. I found pic's off taking off turret so I should be ok there.

Comment

Originally posted by Intrude View Post
                Do I remove all screws from bottom of body? i see four deep one's and two "shallow" ones. I found pic's off taking off turret so I should be ok there.
                All six.

Comment

Thanks Bob
                  I tried looking for a manual on taking it apart but had no luck. I’ll keep looking.
                  next project is one track needs one to two links taken out. The tread hasn’t jumped off the sprocket yet but it is close to doing it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the King Tiger also has 2 screws in the rear by the idler wheel that are hard to see and a little hard to get to.
                    After you remove the upper hull you need to take out the turret gear screws and the turret will lift off. If you undo any wires take a photo or make a diagram to get them back in the right places. Good luck,

Steve.

Comment

The track pins have are knurled on one end. Tap them out from the other side. No way to tell which is the correct side other than tapping out a bit. I fashioned a pin vise with a wire to help with the tapping.

Comment

With my first HL (Tiger 1) I had 6 screws. All of which are now replaced with magnets. Once the upper hull is separated there are more screws. I took pics as I removed. It helped with reassembly. Found this.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ev4s3PBtQ

Comment

As others have said all six, two are shallow at the rear. There's nothing hard about it just remember where things go to reassemble especially the connections in the control box. I number the plugs to match the slot numbers with a sharpie.

About the treads. Loose is correct on this tank if you look at real tank pictures, so not too tight. If I remember on mine I did take out one link per side.

Comment

Working...
                          X