Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro and a quick question

Hello All,

I am new here in this forum and like to introduce myself.

Now I have a quick question. That is I read somewhere that the Heng Long IR battle light is kind of weak in the bright daylight, so for a tank battle it will be difficult. But I heard there is a 3d printed mod that can be use as a IR diffuser so much like the Apple phone light diffuser? I am trying to find a better solution for the incoming issue and I can do some 3d printing experiment and see if that would help. Or is there any other suggestion that the group can offer a better solution.

Thanks in advance and thank you for letting me in the group.

Originally posted by SkyHawk23 View Post
    Hello All,

I am new here in this forum and like to introduce myself.

Now I have a quick question. That is I read somewhere that the Heng Long IR battle light is kind of weak in the bright daylight, so for a tank battle it will be difficult. But I heard there is a 3d printed mod that can be use as a IR diffuser so much like the Apple phone light diffuser? I am trying to find a better solution for the incoming issue and I can do some 3d printing experiment and see if that would help. Or is there any other suggestion that the group can offer a better solution.

Thanks in advance and thank you for letting me in the group.
    The newer generation of IR emitters (bulbs) are fine in all lighting conditions. The stock IR receiver that sits on-top of the tank is garbage. It does not read incoming IR beams in directly sunlight very well.

You can make a “sunshade” for it, but even then it will have only slightly better performance. Your best option is to replace the IR receiver with one from LegoDEI. These are excellent and function extremely well in all lighting conditions and can easily receive hits from as far away as 150ft in noon day summer sunlight conditions.

The LegoDEI are not direct plug in you do have to make a mount and change the plug. You can also tie it into the tail lights and have red or blue hit indicator LEDs that light up when the tank receives a hit. If you have any prior rc experience the process is not hard.

Comment

Thanks Rubicon99,

I was reading something to that fact, I been in electronic for close to 50 yrs. I was and IT director before retirement hence the battle tank Hobby, 3d printing and Ham radio. Just new to the Hobby and trying to learn all I can. I am also trying to find a 3d print files for the LegoDEI so I can modify the unit with a column to mount the IR receiver.

Thanks again, for the suggestion.

Comment

Thanks Rubicon99,

I was reading something to that fact, I been in electronic for close to 50 yrs. I was and IT director before retirement hence the battle tank Hobby, 3d printing and Ham radio. Just new to the Hobby and trying to learn all I can. I am also trying to find a 3d print files for the LegoDEI so I can modify the unit with a column to mount the IR receiver.

With your background you will have no issues upgrading to the LegoDEI receiver.

LegoDEI receivers are not 3D printed files, they are from the company LegoDEI and come complete.

LegoDEI makes the receiver and sunshade for their receivers.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	BBCF7B0B-982C-49D8-95E1-4C676DCFD811.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	350286
        Click image for larger version  Name:	9E29B04B-CC57-413C-A0BD-ACD836E12E50.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	350285
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Rubicon99,

Welcome aboard, Skyhawk. Regarding LegoDEI mounts, there is a dirt simple solution, just PVC pipe of an appropriate diameter cut to your desired length. I glue a base plate on the bottom of the mount that has a rare earth magnet inside, so you can place it on the magnet inside the tank. Here's an early example, I've since shortened the pedestal. Ultimately most of my tanks are outfitted like Rubicon's, setting the unit inside a hatch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	350288
          Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Thanks SoCalBobS. I may ended up with the same setup as Rubicon. I am just trying to find a 3d file and see if I can DIY one. I have all kinds of 3d printed material most of the color that I like so if I can print one then that would be great.. I wonder if I can just buy the circuit board and use my own printed shade?

Comment

Thanks SoCalBobS. I may ended up with the same setup as Rubicon. I am just trying to find a 3d file and see if I can DIY one. I have all kinds of 3d printed material most of the color that I like so if I can print one then that would be great.. I wonder if I can just buy the circuit board and use my own printed shade?
              LegoDEI does not offer their print files online because the shades are included in the price of the receivers. You can purchase extras for a minimum additional cost. Not really worth the time and effort IMO to try and design and then print your own to fit the LegoDEI receiver unless you are masking the look to hid it better.

Comment

Thanks Rubicon99.

Comment

All the info for LegoDEI is on their Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/listing/7769074...e_recs_8&sts=1

They make one for Heng Long and a different one for all others like Tamiya, Clark, IBU, etc.

There is a 3D printed base I use and cut to length depending on the tank I'm putting it in when using the LegoDEI receiver or Tamiya Apple in a custom mounting solution: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4384598

Thread regarding the printed sunshades for the Heng Long "mushroom": https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...mored-vehicles

Comment

tank_me, Thanks a lot that is exactly what I am looking for at the moment. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X