X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torro Panzer III

I just got a Torro Panzer III (https://www.motionrc.com/products/to...37540136943801) and all the controls seem to work fine except for the smoke switch (the metal 2 position switch on the top right of the transmitter). When I flip it on nothing happens. I don't see any smoke switch inside the tank either. I checked the wires on the smoke unit and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Any ideas how to troubleshoot and determine if the smoke unit is possibly defective?

First, look close at the smoker fan to see if it starts when switched on. If it does then you may be low on fluid, have too much fluid, heating element is burned out or disconnected, or wick has failed in some way.

Comment

Smoker units appear to be fickle.

Comment

The fan doesn't turn on. I have other Torro tanks and when I turn on the smoke, the smoke unit makes a very clear audible noise. On this Panzer III nothing happens at all, no fan, nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by xargsgrep View Post
          The fan doesn't turn on. I have other Torro tanks and when I turn on the smoke, the smoke unit makes a very clear audible noise. On this Panzer III nothing happens at all, no fan, nothing.
          Likely a broken or loose wire/solder joint.

Comment

The unit they use in the Pz3 is indeed with a fan (as opposed to the older "piston" type). as others had indicated, check the wiring and joints. But my sample from Motion rec'd last month had the same weak Taigen/Torro smoker, so I swapped that out with a different pump (cylindrical aquarium) and HL smoker. I used a shorter one due to hull restriction on the 3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	350601

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post

The unit they use in the Pz3 is indeed with a fan (as opposed to the older "piston" type). as others had indicated, check the wiring and joints. But my sample from Motion rec'd last month had the same weak Taigen/Torro smoker, so I swapped that out with a different pump (cylindrical aquarium) and HL smoker. I used a shorter one due to hull restriction on the 3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	350601
              Do you remember if the stock smoke unit you received made a fairly loud noise when it was turned on or was it silent?

Comment

Do you remember if the stock smoke unit you received made a fairly loud noise when it was turned on or was it silent?
                Fan was near silent, smoker is just weak, can barely see any output. The fan-type smoker was definitely much quieter than the piston-type variety.

Comment

I plan to remove my piston smoker. Too loud. I will look into the HL smoker. I want to change gearbox to a 5:1. Any suggestions?

Comment

I've used the HL fan style smoker unit with success. The fan is indeed quiet. I take a couple extra steps; first, I use the model railroading "Mega Steam" smoke fluid, and second (gotta open up the tank for this, mine are on magnets) I fill the unit directly. Depending on the tank, the routing of the exhaust can make refilling almost impossible. The Panzer IV and King Tiger are two examples of this.

Here's my Pershing with the steps I mentioned.

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks for the mega steam advice before. I use it now. Best ever.

Comment

I just got a Torro Panzer III (https://www.motionrc.com/products/to...37540136943801) and all the controls seem to work fine except for the smoke switch (the metal 2 position switch on the top right of the transmitter). When I flip it on nothing happens. I don't see any smoke switch inside the tank either. I checked the wires on the smoke unit and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Any ideas how to troubleshoot and determine if the smoke unit is possibly defective?
                        May I ask if your tank comes with the "new cannon smoke feature which emits a puff of smoke from the barrel when the main cannon is fired"? And did it come inside a wooden crate? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post

May I ask if your tank comes with the "new cannon smoke feature which emits a puff of smoke from the barrel when the main cannon is fired"? And did it come inside a wooden crate? Thank you!
                          1. Mne does not have the new cannon smoke feature
                          2. Yes, it came inside a wooden crate

Comment

1. Mine does not have the new cannon smoke feature
                            2. Yes, it came inside a wooden crate
                            Thank you for confirming! From what I checked out on MotionRC website, I think the unpainted tanks come with the cannon smoke feature and the painted ones don't.

Comment

Working...
                            X