X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-90 in Ukraine

...continued from the "I'm Really Tempted" thread.

I received my T-90 today from Toucan Hong Kong; four days from shipping to arrival via DHL. (Don't ask the shipping cost, but the heart wants what the heart wants!) I wanted what Toucan called the "blackish-green" scheme. They make three; tan, tan camo and the green. I also wanted the Red Eye feature, neither of which feature was available in US stock. I like to photo-document some of my projects, so here is the 'out of the box" state. It'll be fun using real time color photos and videos of the originals as reference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	350984

Name:	IMG_2694.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	350985

As is recommended at the top of this forum, I did a 2-minute check. Glad I did, because unnoticed by me, it also featured a 360 degree turret. Good news, bad news. Yes, it spins all around. But, and some of you already know what I'm going to say, there is a slip ring that keeps the turret wires from twisting and tangling from rotation. That slip ring is problematical, I highly recommend NEVER to add or get one. The IR system was non-operational. Ship it back to Hong Kong? I think not! What I did was bypass the slip ring for the IR emitter and receiver, and lo, all worked!

There are some nice features I'd like to share. The on/off switch is on the back side not underneath. It's so invisible I couldn't find it until I'd opened the hull. The battery connectors are now XT60 type, no more godawful tamiya plugs.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Yay for the XT60 plugs! I hope they all come that way soon. Yes that switch in the rear can be quite hidden especially if you mount the standard issue recovery log back there.
    I avoid the 360* turrets. Those tiny wires will migrate into the turret gear if you're not careful.

Steve.

Comment

Hi Bob, looking forward to your progress report and thanks for the first hints regarding the possible 360 feature problematics.
      CCC
      Tank looks cool despite the current disaster.

Comment

Out of the 11 HL tanks I’ve worked on one also had a slip ring issue. Also the IR and I had to do a bypass.

Comment

Steve, CCC; yeah, the slip ring reliability issue is a known problem. I wouldn't have asked for the 360/slip ring option, it just slipped thru. I've been working on the issue. All of the turret wires go through the slip ring and then into a separate gang plug. The way this is wired, with common grounds etc., and the gang plug slip rings are not clearly color coded or marked, one really can't disconnect one without affecting others. I've chosen to eliminate the slip ring altogether. Doing so requires attaching new wires and connectors in many cases. Fortunately I have those, but anyone without would rapidly tear their hair out. So the bottom line is, don't get in my situation! If you don't intend to change any wiring, and if they r you hooked it up right, it's ok. Otherwise not.

Another unrelated electrical issue involves the use of LegoDEI IR receivers. The lights on the mushroom are usually hooked into the taillight circuit (LED3), supplanting the taillights if the tank has them. (In my case, I'll plug the taillights into the brakelight circuit (LED6) instead, so as to not waste the LED's.) This particular tank, with the red eye function also used the taillight LED3 circuit, which leaves them on all the time unless you turn the taillights off (G & Left Stick down), and I don't think both sets of lights would work. LEDs are bizarre. I've chosen to plug them into the Aiming Light (LED2) circuit. When I press the right top button without pressing the left, the red eyes light up.

Comment

Some possible paint schemes. LOL

Name:	T-72B_-TankBiathlon2013-01.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	351027
            Steve.

Comment

Fantastic. Easy to spot on the battlefield, though. Unless it's in Disneyland!

Comment

SoCal, In O-town we locals call it Dismal World.

Comment

Just a teaser snapshot. The Russian tanks have Shtora-1 "red eyes". They're basically part of an infrared missile jammer system, but aren't apparently very effective against modern ATGM's. They look cool though, which is why I got them.

Name:	T-90 04.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	351058

Why the tan camo netting? My battles in Southern California are mostly in desert'y areas. It's all removable.

Comment

Another teaser. Quick field markings as on the real "reapportioned" tanks.

Name:	image_82056.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	351113

Name:	Ukraine T-90 04.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	351163

Comment

Name:	291055295_8110269845649843_1664833388662493607_n.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	351134

Comment

Panzer Barbie!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                          Panzer Barbie!
                          I believe her name is Panzerella

Comment

SoCal, I like the markings.

Comment

In a forest..

I found a neat way to attach the netting, without glue and easily removable. Carpet tape. very thin, nearly invisible, with a weave texture that if seen looks like it belongs there.

Comment

Must work well. I can't see it at all. The forest........or the trees.

Steve

Comment

Fight Ready. I've been hurrying to get this tank ready for the 7/31 SD battle. One never know at the start what might take a while to finish, but in this case no issues. It will of course require more detailing, but it's ready to rumble. There are so many external structures, I had to build a special pedestal for the IR receiver. Maybe that's why the jammers on the real ones are up high!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ukraine T-90 05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.3 KB ID:	351207

Click image for larger version  Name:	T-90 07a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.2 KB ID:	351208

Comment

Can’t wait to see it in action on the 31st. 👍👍

Comment

Looks GREAT!

Comment

Very nice Bob
                                        RC tank parts and accessories I make
                                        www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Working...
                                        X