Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heng Long Abrams M1A2 Tank smoke unit

Hello Fellow Tankers,

I am new at the tank scene, and I have a frustrating question. Currently I am not happy with the smoke unit in the Abrams Tank V7.0, It works sometimes, and it don't work other times. I have taken the unit apart and clean it many times, reoil it and then it works for maybe 5 min. Then nothing again. I am thinking that this is an inferior smoking unit. does the wick supposed to be wet or dry?

My question is are there any upgraded smoke unit out or is there a better fix or replacement for the Abrams Tank smoke unit to work all the time. I was told that if too much oil no smoke, not enough oil no smoke.

Very frustrate, but I like the tank overall and I want the tank to function correctly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Smoke units can be a challenge. The one in my HL Tiger works like a champ. The HL Sherman smoker sucks bilge water. There are other smokers out there but I haven't tried them. I am sure others here can give you better guidance than I.

Comment

Actually the smokers in current HL are decent, better than the older piston type. If your smoker works (emits smoke), most likely the unit is fine, it is a very simple unit, it either works or doesn't. Having said that, most of the time the problem is condensation an/or droplets trapped in the tubes, especially the stiff plastic tubes used by HL. Try some silicone tubes from the aquarium shop, don't run too long as that would contribute to droplets/condensation, but also give the connection a smooth path.

When the unit is clogged, just get a straw and blow air through where you place the oil. There are better smokers (GI smoker), but that's >$70. Is it better, yes, but IMHO, not 10x better, that's why I switched to using aquarium pumps with a different HL smoker.

Good luck.

Comment

sclui56,

Thanks for the reply and I do understand that the smoker unit is a simple device. But the problem is that it smokes sometimes and no smoke other times. You mention a aquarium pumps with a different HL smoker? Can you share a photo or a how to do it? Love to learn more. As for the Gl smoker where can I even obtain such a unit?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyHawk23 View Post
          sclui56,

Thanks for the reply and I do understand that the smoker unit is a simple device. But the problem is that it smokes sometimes and no smoke other times. You mention a aquarium pumps with a different HL smoker? Can you share a photo or a how to do it? Love to learn more. As for the Gl smoker where can I even obtain such a unit?

Thanks again.
          www.modelsmokers.com Aristocraft RC R/C Polk Hobbies Train Live Steam Vollmer Oil Fluid Fog Battery Massoth Crest

Will get some pix on the aquarium pump later, but there are quite a few combo units on Aliexpress, search under HengLong smoke unit. I generally get the parts separately and get the pumps locally. But it may be easier to buy your first set so it will be PnP.

In your Abrams, I would first check and replace the tubing, keep in mind that even with "better" smokers, condensation and droplets trapping can still restrict smoke output.

Comment

sclui56,

Thanks again, I really like to see the aquarium pump pictures since I get my hands on a lots of aquarium pumps. I went and looked at the Gl smoker and I like it, it is simple pnp, but I would like to see more of the other options.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyHawk23 View Post
              sclui56,

Thanks again, I really like to see the aquarium pump pictures since I get my hands on a lots of aquarium pumps. I went and looked at the Gl smoker and I like it, it is simple pnp, but I would like to see more of the other options.

Thanks again.
              My coil conversion on the Taigen Sherman didn't work out so well in the long run. I assume the coil resistance played a large part in making the smoke switch on the MFU in-operable. Had to buy another Taigen MFU. Now to my question: I decided to try and make the 25mm fan conversion setup like I did for my Henglong Tanks-It

Comment

I think there is some confusion here. Aquarium tubing, not getting an actual aquarium pump.

These have two sides, heat the fluid to make the smoke and then some type of way to blow it to the outlet. The the newer fan type are better than older HL piston pumps. But the heating box/ element is usually the true issue. They are finicky and when I buy a tank I make sure it works and then never use them. Just not worth the aggravation.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  I think there is some confusion here. Aquarium tubing, not getting an actual aquarium pump.

These have two sides, heat the fluid to make the smoke and then some type of way to blow it to the outlet. The the newer fan type are better than older HL piston pumps. But the heating box/ element is usually the true issue. They are finicky and when I buy a tank I make sure it works and then never use them. Just not worth the aggravation.
                  Evan D,

Thanks for the reply. I think he is talking about a small aquarium pump and in addition to the pump will need some more tubing for the relocation of the pump to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post

Evan,

No confusion, two separate things - silicone tubing from aquarium shop is better, and I did change the pump to aquarium pumps.

Comment

Thanks to all the reply. I went in and I think I got the smoke unit fixed, it is just that the OEM blower is not putting out enough volume to force the air out good, and when in full power it pushes a bit harder, then the smoke will come out. I may end up going with the original smoke box but somehow adapt a 6Vdc pump and pushes more volume then I think I am good to go. It is a fun learning experience, and I am enjoying it. Thanks again everyone. Have a great day.

Skyhawk23 out.

Comment

Working...
                      X