X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting for a beginner

I have absolutely zero painting or airbrush experience but wanted to get an unpainted tank and make an attempt at making it look decent. So far I've just watched some youtube videos on airbrushing for beginners. I picked up a basic airbrush kit here: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...sh-bct5025-006.

I was looking for some advice on the following:
    1. What else would I need in addition to the airbrush kit?
    2. What primer should I use?
    3. What brand of paint should I get (eg Tamiya, Vallejo, etc)?
    4. A list of colors I should get for a Tiger 1 (primary color gray with a two-tone camo) in addition to some basic weathering.
    5. I'm assuming I should just stick to all water based paint?

Appreciate any help.

Welcome. There are many paints and brushes out there. I start a project and if I don't like it, do it over. Some of my work is based on, "what would I do if I were in the field with the supplies I had. Or did not have. I use many sources based on what I need. I have even used spray cans from the local hardware store. As far as customer service on line, these guys are great, Have fun.

What camo are you looking to do on the Tiger? I too will be following that direction.

​​​​​​https://spraygunner.com/?gclid=Cj0KC...4aAmyIEALw_wcB

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tiger camo.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	352752

Comment

Thanks, I'll check them out. As for the camo, I will thinking of something like these:

Click image for larger version  Name:	TigerIE_2-SS-PzGRenDiv.png Views:	0 Size:	182.7 KB ID:	352781

Click image for larger version  Name:	2nd_SS_PzGrndiers_Kharkov1943.png Views:	0 Size:	172.4 KB ID:	352782

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger-I_Ausf-H_SPzAbt501_jan43.png
Views:	169
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	352783

Comment

The key with airbrushing is to keep the psi at 30. Leave the air on over the tip as not to clog it and pull back on the dual action before and after the stroke of paint. Hard to explain, but there are a ton of youtube videos that will help. I have lots of experience with enamels, but not so much with acrylics. Most people are the other way around. I would recommend watching Martin Kovac Night Shift for paint ideas and applications. You will have to watch quite a few to piece everything he does together, but I think he has a good eye for detail. look below for other advice that I dove tailed to your questions, You have a good airbrush so just start playing with it.

Originally posted by xargsgrep View Post
        I have absolutely zero painting or airbrush experience but wanted to get an unpainted tank and make an attempt at making it look decent. So far I've just watched some youtube videos on airbrushing for beginners. I picked up a basic airbrush kit here: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...sh-bct5025-006.

I was looking for some advice on the following:
        1. What else would I need in addition to the airbrush kit? Plenty of thinner, mineral spirits and Lacquer thinner.
        2. What primer should I use? Mr Surfacer Black Lacquer base
        3. What brand of paint should I get (eg Tamiya, Vallejo, etc)? Doesn't matter Just as long as you use acrylic thinner with acrylic paint and mineral spirits with enamels. I have all different brands and mix like paints I(E enamels)together to get different shades.
        4. A list of colors I should get for a Tiger 1 (primary color gray with a two-tone camo) in addition to some basic weathering. I will let someone else answer that.
        5. I'm assuming I should just stick to all water based paint? No. Sometimes enamels over acrylics or vice versa. Depends on the weathering Just remember that thinning the color is key to getting a good spray. I have used house paint in my airbrush and was able to make it work.

Appreciate any help.
        Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xargsgrep View Post
          Thanks, I'll check them out. As for the camo, I will thinking of something like these:

Click image for larger version Name:	TigerIE_2-SS-PzGRenDiv.png Views:	0 Size:	182.7 KB ID:	352781

Click image for larger version Name:	2nd_SS_PzGrndiers_Kharkov1943.png Views:	0 Size:	172.4 KB ID:	352782

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tiger-I_Ausf-H_SPzAbt501_jan43.png Views:	30 Size:	218.9 KB ID:	352783
          How comes the painting? Since you posted your possible choices, I decided to "steal" the theme on the first Tiger. Starting looking for like colors. Nothing yet. Any luck with what the RAL might be?

Comment

Don't think I'll get to the painting anytime soon since I don't have the tank yet. Not sure about the RAL either unfortunately but please let me know if you are able to figure that out.

Comment

Found two links. Maybe?

Here is our RAL 840R (WWII) Paint Table to help find the right colors for your next projects.

​​​​
              https://www.migjimenez.com/img/cms/P...sion-chart.pdf

Comment

Good find, I think the brown looks close to "Dunelbraun" in the first link.

Comment

Thanks. Hahahaha! I was thinking Graugrun RAL 7008. It's gonna be fun. My eyes are becoming "hue weary."

Comment

Now that you mention Graugrun, I'm not so sure about Dunelbraun anymore haha.

Comment

Working...
                    X