X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tank_me View Post

It's funny because I love the T34 suspension on the Torro/Taigen, but hate the KV-1 suspension from Torro because it's a maintenance nightmare for me. My modified T34 hulls take a beating and just keep truckin' along. I've never even had to adjust the idler.
    I only mentioned the T34 because the hull assembly, as released by the factory, is not as robust as the rest. My sample is fine now only because I followed the steps you outlined in strengthening it by bonding the sides to the tub and swapping washers. But the unit when I received new, it already had a couple of cracked boss (where the swing arms screwed into), and there was also a fracture in the left plastic side plate between the idler mount and 1st road wheel, most likely from mishandling during shipping.

Took me a while to source the 2 side plastic plates alone since Taigen/Torro doesn't sell anything for the lower hull separately. Once I got the pieces I went to the work bench and pretty much read through your posts on the other forum. Now she runs as solidly as the rest, no more side flexing/separation when road wheels are under load.

Don't have a Torro KV-1 to compare suspension with, simply because there's no US stock for some time now. Closest is the HL KV-2, she runs well other than the fact the factory springs were way too soft, had to replace them with stiffer ones.

Comment

"I think its the light weight plastic “feel” of the TX that people think is toy like not so much the functionality. Personally I don’t mind the HL stock TX it does the job well and if it gets dropped or damaged is cheap and easy to replace".

​I checked the weight of a Version 7.0 H.L.transmitter vs a Torro. They both weigh the same at 1 lb. Perhaps earlier versions were lighter. Both are plastic and close to the same size. A good % of the weight is the 6 batteries in each one. The visual difference is the Torro handle looks like metal and as to aerial arms. . And while the H.L. has two buttons on top, ,the Torro has two levers which would be more vulnerable to breaking. And of course the H.L. has far more functionality..

Comment

Originally posted by DHarper View Post
        "I think its the light weight plastic “feel” of the TX that people think is toy like not so much the functionality. Personally I don’t mind the HL stock TX it does the job well and if it gets dropped or damaged is cheap and easy to replace".

​I checked the weight of a Version 7.0 H.L.transmitter vs a Torro. They both weigh the same at 1 lb. Perhaps earlier versions were lighter. Both are plastic and close to the same size. A good % of the weight is the 6 batteries in each one. The visual difference is the Torro handle looks like metal and as to aerial arms. . And while the H.L. has two buttons on top, ,the Torro has two levers which would be more vulnerable to breaking. And of course the H.L. has far more functionality..
        Generally when people say “toy like” and “light weight” plastic feel is in comparison to say a Spectrum DX or Futaba type of transmitter as examples. Torro TX is nothing special and most are replaced with higher grade TX. The ability for the Torro control system to use other brands of TX is what sets it really apart from HL systems and why people do not really complain about the Torro TX as much, they simply change the out to something nicer feeling. As you know that is a no can do with the HL TX so hence the complaining. Then add the fact that HL out sell Torro tanks 100 to 1, so with more users comes more complaints.

Comment

Wow did this topic come in time for me. I'm thinking about getting into the RC tank hobby, and gotten paralysis by analyses. This post helped me decide I should probably start with H.L., as my big concern was being able to control the tank precisely, have turret traverse at varying speeds, have an airsoft gun, and I really didn't like that Torro you have to cycle the barrel up/down instead of have an up/down dial. Though, one of the issues about me is that I know if it doesn't look good/real I probably won't use it. However, I've seen enough people take an H.L., and with weathering and accessories blows the doors off a stock model regardless of brand.

One thing to mention about the H.L. is that their I.R. system isn't the real deal so be aware of that. I'm not sure how Torro's work, but by real deal I mean that if you join a club and want to do I.R. battles with a Heng Long you likely can't. Clubs typically require muzzle flash, recoil, the IR has to be in a 6mm tube and buried 9mm deep. You have to have LED flash on your apple to indicate when you've been hit. Your tank has to suffer from reduced speed after so many hits (called simulated battle damage). Take 4-5 hits on a heavy tank it won't run as fast. 7-8 hits you're barely creeping. There are different weight classes of light, medium, and heavy. They have different reload times. Heng Long has none of that. It will dish and receive hits, with a kill after x many but that's about the extent. The above paragraph was pretty much a word-word from Gary Hoff's youtube video where he discusses tanks.

Thank you​

Comment

Originally posted by Rhonemus View Post
            Wow did this topic come in time for me. I'm thinking about getting into the RC tank hobby, and gotten paralysis by analyses. This post helped me decide I should probably start with H.L., as my big concern was being able to control the tank precisely, have turret traverse at varying speeds, have an airsoft gun, and I really didn't like that Torro you have to cycle the barrel up/down instead of have an up/down dial. Though, one of the issues about me is that I know if it doesn't look good/real I probably won't use it. However, I've seen enough people take an H.L., and with weathering and accessories blows the doors off a stock model regardless of brand.

One thing to mention about the H.L. is that their I.R. system isn't the real deal so be aware of that. I'm not sure how Torro's work, but by real deal I mean that if you join a club and want to do I.R. battles with a Heng Long you likely can't. Clubs typically require muzzle flash, recoil, the IR has to be in a 6mm tube and buried 9mm deep. You have to have LED flash on your apple to indicate when you've been hit. Your tank has to suffer from reduced speed after so many hits (called simulated battle damage). Take 4-5 hits on a heavy tank it won't run as fast. 7-8 hits you're barely creeping. There are different weight classes of light, medium, and heavy. They have different reload times. Heng Long has none of that. It will dish and receive hits, with a kill after x many but that's about the extent. The above paragraph was pretty much a word-word from Gary Hoff's youtube video where he discusses tanks.

Thank you​
            Well with all due respect to Gary he is now WAY behind the times and only focused on one or two specific battle fields. Both great fun places and nothing wrong with what they do. Most other clubs though *allow the newer HL tanks with aftermarket IR receivers to take part. Modified IR bulb location is still recommended regardless if in Tamiya, Torro/Taigen or Mato tanks as NONE of these come with properly positioned IR bulbs. So HL is not alone in needed this bulb modification.

*Using the 6/6/LP rule (6 hits, 6 count between shots and run on low power). Following this rule HL tanks are equal to the Tamiya protocol of a medium tank in a one on one fight. This means all HL tanks typically play as medium tanks more less as there are tweaks that can be made to the rule.

Example: The medium Tamiya has the speed advantage at the beginning and the HL at the end. This balances out the hit damage that the Tamiya systems has. Also 6 hit is now the new factory set medium for the latest Tamiya tanks like the Centurion and Sheridan so this matches HL hits. Firing for the HL is a steady count to 6 which averages out to 4-5 seconds reload time and roughly matches that of the medium Tamiya tank (this count time can be increased to represent longer reload time if needed). The HL has NO special advantage over a light tank or heavy tank and more often then not loose to light tanks and heavy tanks.

HL tanks are changing the IR battling world and in fact are becoming the dominant tanks we are seeing at battles. Some clubs can chose to try and hold back the tide but it will eventually overtake them. The clubs that see this tide are the ones welcoming HL tanks with open arms and growing their membership numbers.

Comment

"Wow did this topic come in time for me. I'm thinking about getting into the RC tank hobby, and gotten paralysis by analyses. This post helped me decide I should probably start with H.L., as my big concern was being able to control the tank precisely, have turret traverse at varying speeds, have an airsoft gun, and I really didn't like that Torro you have to cycle the barrel up/down instead of have an up/down dial. Though, one of the issues about me is that I know if it doesn't look good/real I probably won't use it. However, I've seen enough people take an H.L., and with weathering and accessories blows the doors off a stock model regardless of brand."

I'm about a 6 month newbie, much happier with H.L. tanks because of progressive handling, more transmitter functions and of course much lower price. I.R. club play is not a factor for me. Believe any brand needs customization to get into club I.R. play. Torro's lack of independent barrel up and down would be a negative for a Torro, though 360 turret rotation a plus.

Would say my favorite H.L. tank so far is the King Tiger, given detail and camoflage; noting my preference for WW2 era tanks. The pro version is very heavy at 14 pounds in contrast to the Sherman at under 6. 2nd place would be the Panther for similar reasons. As assume you know, H.L. tanks come in several levels of durability based on steel components. If going to use outdoors, would get the Pro version. Likely will need to paint the tracks as for some reason, steel tracks come unpainted.....,

Comment

I second Rubicon’s comments regarding club rules. I play at L.A. and S.D. events with HL. They are very welcoming. They’ll need to be, to attract new participants. A father and son wanting to start in the hobby aren’t going for top tier.
                Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

"Good"..."better"...it's all subjective depending on what the user wants - just a runner, realistic, or battle tank. I buy whatever tank is closest to my needs and price range. Then I modify it to meet the rest of my needs...or wants. :)

Comment

I intend to attract players to come to my battle event in Huntington Beach, Orange County by battling mainly HL tanks with LegoDEI receivers.

Comment

Every H.L. tank I've bought had missing parts and the company wanted me to pay to send it off for repairs and pay for the repairs. Torro tanks are far more durable and better quality. Smoother ride than H.L.

Comment

Originally posted by rlawyer View Post
                        Every H.L. tank I've bought had missing parts and the company wanted me to pay to send it off for repairs and pay for the repairs. Torro tanks are far more durable and better quality. Smoother ride than H.L.

That has not been most peoples experience with HL if purchased through a "reputable" source and not buying the cheapest version possible. HL does not control the policies of the companies that sell their products so CS can vary. I have personally never had any missing parts in more the two dozen purchases of HL tanks in recent years.

It's fine that you like the Torro brand, but I could give a laundry list of issue that Torro/Taigen tanks have too. Fact is every brand has room for improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by rlawyer View Post
                          It sounds like a seller's problem who refused to honor the Heng Long new tank warranty. You should post the name and a link to that seller. Your blanket statement is not true and unfair.

I have 7 Heng Long RC tanks that 6 of them worked properly out of the box. One HL German Leopard 2A6 was DOA. The Toucan seller in China arranged a HL technician to have an hour-long facetime trouble shooting with me and confirmed there was no missing or broken parts. I disconnected and re-connect all the electrical connectors. The HL Leopard fired up and has been working fine since.

I droop over the high priced Torro RC tanks, but decided that it is more fun to upgrade the HL tanks with high grade gearbox and tracks. I do not double your statement, "Torro tanks are far more durable and better quality. Smoother ride than H.L.". I have a Torro series 2 ball bearing gearbox with 390 motors on a very old HL Pershing (original 2005 Snow Leopard on right). It is a much smoother gearbox than the original HL plastic gearbox.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5130.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.5 KB ID:	397779 Click image for larger version  Name:	HLpershing_TK27inside.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.7 KB ID:	397788
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5176.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.4 KB ID:	397780

Comment

I absolutely agree with Rubicon99 and keilau.

I have several tanks, both Heng Long and Taigen. I have praises and deficiencies for each.brand. If you received a broken tank or missing parts then as a customer contact the seller and or return the item to the seller and have it made right. If you have a bad seller you could have a bad seller from any of the different brands. I have heard of people with issues with their Taigens out of the box as well. I have bought directly from ToucanRC in the US and China. I have won Ebay auctions from ToucanRC, I have bought Amazon ToucanRC and Taigen, also bought from MotionRC and I have bought from Taigen directly.

This Tiger I just arrived this morning from ToucanRC. First thing I did was check everything over, parts, accessories, checked the advertised build features. Then I added batteries and did function tests and changed to preferred settings. If I had or have an issue Toucan is very good to deal with and offers a warranty and provide a card with each tank purchased.

Comment

The concept of customer service is foreign to small businesses in China who sell the RC toys we want. It is a matter of reginal business practices, and nothing to do with race or bias. The small seller has no support from Heng Long, probably because they get the good from the grey market. The bottom line is not to shop for price only. I like Toucan Hobby not only for their CS. Their website has the more comprehensive and accurate list of metal parts of the HL tanks they sell. The 10-20% premium to buy from them is worthy it for the peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X