X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kv1 problem

Well the kv1 was having track issues,,I checked the position of the gearbox on the retaining pins, made sure the shaft wasn't bent and found what I thought was excessive play in the final drive. Swapped out both gearboxes with the ones I had spare and it still throws the track. I have swapped the sprockets around and it makes no difference, the left track still skips off the sprocket. Does anyone have any ideas what I may have missed?

Same issue my t90 had, you have to get Bearings to keep the sprocket from wobbling. (Im trying to find a set for my kv1s as well)

Comment

Originally posted by Sappo View Post
      Well the kv1 was having track issues,,I checked the position of the gearbox on the retaining pins, made sure the shaft wasn't bent and found what I thought was excessive play in the final drive. Swapped out both gearboxes with the ones I had spare and it still throws the track. I have swapped the sprockets around and it makes no difference, the left track still skips off the sprocket. Does anyone have any ideas what I may have missed?
      Ok easy fix. Simply place a thin nylon washer over the drive shaft sandwiched between the hull and sprocket. This will act as a “larger hub” and reduce the sprocket wobbling around which is the main cause of the KV issue with de tracking at the sprocket. Bearings will not stop the wobble because the issue is with the sprockets themselves not the axle shafts.

Comment

Originally posted by Abyssus View Post
        Same issue my t90 had, you have to get Bearings to keep the sprocket from wobbling. (Im trying to find a set for my kv1s as well)
        Your issue is NOT bearing related although bearings are a good upgrade. Your issue is that the sprocket in slightly out of alignment with the tracks. It has been a problem with the T90 (and later T72) since it was first released over five years ago. It is an easy fix, but long winded to explain so PM me if you want for the “how to”.

Comment

Rubicon I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what you mean, my sprocket is set a few mm from the hull

Comment

Rubicon I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what you mean, my sprocket is set a few mm from the hull
            Yes that is correct. The space is small but it is enough to allow the sprockets to wobble. You need to fill that space with one or more thin nylon washers. This will create a “hub” for the sprockets to ride on and thus reduce their wobbling.

Both my KVs had the de-tracking issues and it was solved with this method. Other people that have tried it and have also had great success. It is simple, very cheap, effective and does not interfere with the tanks operations.

I do recommend adding some grease to both sides of the washer(s) as this helps the “seat in” phase. Once seated and worn in a little the grease is not really needed any longer. I keep mine greased still, but they can run fine without it.

I have a bunch of videos of one KV running on my Instagram @ Fsttanks. Feel free to check them out and see the results and how well the tracks stay on.

First photo is of hull with no washer. Notice there is very little wear to the hull plastic. This is because the washer typically tend not to turn. It’s dirty grease I did not fully wipe off that you are mostly seeing. Click image for larger version  Name:	9FAB338C-D801-45D4-891A-C1C64952D350.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.0 KB ID:	357511

Second photo is with washer installed with no grease. Notice the light wear on the washer from the sprocket turning in contact with it. This washer is SS because it is on my hardest run KV. In fact this KV is my most abused tank. Click image for larger version  Name:	3B7749CE-971E-4B3D-9E7D-66621EFB816F.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.9 KB ID:	357510

Third photo is of the grease I use when reinstalling the sprockets. I exaggerated the amount in the photo and much less can be used with nylon washers. Yes dirt will stick to the outer edge of the washer where grease is pushed out but this has NO effect on the tanks operation. Click image for larger version  Name:	BFA98588-BBD2-473A-840E-3E3A51672FA5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.4 KB ID:	357512

Fourth photo is of dirt adhering to the excesses grease on the outer edge of the washer. Again this dirt has no effect on the operation. Click image for larger version  Name:	3EC035B2-8A37-446F-A5CD-B932EDA6F0B2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	357513

Comment

Thanks mate that's really cleared it up for me. And the grease only adds to the weathering effects.

Comment

Big thanks to Rubicon, has made a huge difference to the running of the kv1. One more question to you, do you have a method of tightening those loose idler wheels these things have?Mine have wobbled since new, would also like to get a track tensioning systym for her

Comment

Big thanks to Rubicon, has made a huge difference to the running of the kv1. One more question to you, do you have a method of tightening those loose idler wheels these things have?Mine have wobbled since new, would also like to get a track tensioning systym for her
                  Do you mean the idler mount? Or the wheel itself? There is not much you can do about the wheel itself especially if it is the plastic one, but the mount can be made more solid. Torro/Taigen has an adjustable idler wheel mount that I have seen a few people make work on the HL KV hulls. Can’t say whet effect it has on the idler wheels.

I went the route of of simply making the idler mount more solidly attached to the hull with screws vs the simple pressure fit HL uses. The pressure fix does work itself loose and adds to the idler wheel moving around more then it should.

I use metal idler wheels and with the more solid hull mount they are not any more loose then my other tanks and have not caused any issues since the modification to the idler mounts were made.

Comment

I mean the wheels, they always make me a bit nervous of wearing the mount. I have the metal idlers as well

Comment

I mean the wheels, they always make me a bit nervous of wearing the mount. I have the metal idlers as well
                      The KV idler to wheel attachment is fairly stout and with the metal wheels you should not have any real wear issues to worry about.

I keep my idler wheel fittings grease/oiled and have not noticed any wear worth noting.

Comment

Working...
                      X