X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading an older Heng Long Abrams

I acquired an older Heng Long 1:16 Abrams, and am considering upgrading (?) the multifunction unit to the latest (?) V7/7.1. The MF I have now isn't V-anything, so is it that old?

1. Other than splicing in different wire connectors where needed, is there any reason why the V7 MF wouldn't work with my old hardware?

2. My old transmitter LOOKS just like the V7 transmitter, which is low cost but currently unavailable... is there any difference?

3. Are there wiring hook-up diagrams available for the old & new models?
    - I have a 2-wire connector hanging off the Airsoft recoil switch that has nowhere to plug into;
    - The gun elevation motor won't activate;
    - Not sure everything is plugged into the right places...
    - And there's a sketchy looking cut wire sticking out of the MF unit (see picture below)... antenna?

Orphan wire connector (lower right), with no place to plug in:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220927_002153005_2.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	357605

My old multifunction board:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220926_223300416_2.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	357606

From the looks of the MFU, it is a HL 5.3 2.4Ghz system. That black wire coming out is indeed an antenna. I believe the orphaned wires are the airsoft trigger wires, but I could be wrong as I typically dump the BB systems out of all my tanks. There are differences in the wiring, but if you can change some connections it should be able to be converted to a 6.0/6.1/7.0, or 7.1 system. You will need both a new RX and TX as none of the 5.3 stuff is compatible with the newer systems. If you are going to keep everything stock as it is, get the 6.0 or 7.0. If you are going to convert some stuff to servo control get the 6.1 or 7.1. Being an Abrams the 6.1 comes with the Abrams sound set installed and I believe so does the 7.1. The 7.1 is newer and does have some newer features the 6.1 does not have. Keep in mind that they also use different transmitters. You can't use a 6.x transmitter with a 7.x board and vis versa. There are wiring diagrams of both systems available. The 8-pin daughter board will probably be different for the newer systems also, but you can rewire around it or convert to the newer board.

Off topic...are you the PatMat that made the 21st Century Stuart barrels (the turned resin ones over a brass tube) years ago? Just curious.

Comment

Thanks for all that, very helpful! My all plastic Abrams cost me all of $60, so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just pop for a new metal track one.
      And yes on the barrels, but they were turned from PVC rod.

Comment

Originally posted by patmat2350 View Post
        Thanks for all that, very helpful! My all plastic Abrams cost me all of $60, so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just pop for a new metal track one.
        And yes on the barrels, but they were turned from PVC rod.
        The new version of the Abrams is much improved vs the older version. It now has adjustable idlers, bearings support mounts (need to add the bearings) and metal suspension arms already on the tank. These additions have greatly improved track reliability (retention). Also it would come it the new 6.0s (if still in stock) or 7.0s. Try to obtain one with the 6.0s because it will have the option for the Abrams engine sound, the 7.0s does not.

Comment

Or I'll save my pennies for the Tamiya full option... 😆

Comment

But what? Why would they delete the M1 sound from V7??

Comment

Originally posted by patmat2350 View Post
              But what? Why would they delete the M1 sound from V7??
              HL sells more T72/90s combined then any other modern tank they offer so that is the sound they went with. Why they did not just keep the Abrams, Leopard and T72/90 sounds too I have no idea. It can’t cost but pennies to total cost to have kept them in the 7.0/7.1s programming.

The Tamiya full option Abrams is pretty darn good. Extremely durable(if you use the DKLM metal upgraded gears) and smooth running in all aspects. Building a HL Abrams to match the performance of the Tamiya is very doable with the use of a 6.1s or 7.1s HL MFU and the addition of servo recoil. Actually the HL ends up being a slightly better handling tank at lower speeds.

The cost ends up being the almost the same especially if you use the outstanding but expensive Tamiya Abrams tracks on the HL Abrams. Can’t say enough good things about them they are simply the best Abrams tracks made.

Comment

Working...
              X