X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a 1/35 RFM pz 3 j to RC

Recently I’ve been well over satisfied with my HL Panther G, only downside is the it’s a 1/16 scale which isn’t exactly a downside more like a hassle as I would like to be able to tackle smaller everyday objects with one that is much smaller than a 1/16. Any tips, guides, or materials I would need to get started? I know I need a motor, gearbox, metal hexagonal shaft, metal or plastic rods(for torsion suspension), receiver, and servo for the turret, one of the more pressing problems would be which receiver to buy and how to program it to independent driving. I would specifically love if there was a guide out there going in depth on converting a 1/35 RFM model and while there is some they aren’t exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you.

I forgot to mention that this is the exact one I’m looking to buy

only I’m going to purchase the said model from a local hobby store even if it’s 15 dollars more I love supporting small local business.

Comment

Look at Heng Long's 1/30 and 1/24 scale r/c tanks. For $50 you get an MFU, battery, speaker, gearboxes, turret traverse, lights & transmitter. You'll have to adapt the gearboxes to the sprocket wheels. Read my thread:

Fuchstraumer, UltraVargen, you guys are evil! Tempting me to do a Panzer 1B. I'd contemplated trying offerings from Ludwig, but the prices drove me off. When Fuchstraumer reminded me about the Takom 1/16 static kit, my mind began percolating. First I saw a Youtube assembly video by Andy of Andy's Hobby Headquarters. By the way,

Of course there are other ways, this is just mine.
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
        Look at Heng Long's 1/30 and 1/24 scale r/c tanks. For $50 you get an MFU, battery, speaker, gearboxes, turret traverse, lights & transmitter. You'll have to adapt the gearboxes to the sprocket wheels. Read my thread:

Fuchstraumer, UltraVargen, you guys are evil! Tempting me to do a Panzer 1B. I'd contemplated trying offerings from Ludwig, but the prices drove me off. When Fuchstraumer reminded me about the Takom 1/16 static kit, my mind began percolating. First I saw a Youtube assembly video by Andy of Andy's Hobby Headquarters. By the way,

Thanks for responding, I knew that people used HL internals for their own custom RC Tanks. Do you think I’ll need to invest in a soldering gun in order to do this?

Comment

I would get a soldering iron while owning any RC tank as wire and connector repairs are pretty common. You don't need a Hakko station like mine:

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-...7-93deae8f9840

You can find much cheaper options, but since I end up soldering a lot I bought the Hakko. It heats up in like 30 seconds where cheaper ones take minutes.

Tip Tinner products really make breaking in a new soldering tip take seconds and waste a lot less solder.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltronic...dDbGljaz10cnVl

For electronics you want 60/40 solder:

https://www.amazon.com/SONEAK-Solder...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Flux is your friend. I prefer liquid flux as it's easier to use in general. Just don't get it on stuff as it can be a sticky mess. Cleans up with isopropyl alcohol.

https://www.amazon.com/2x50ml-KESTER...l%2C109&sr=1-8

Comment

That and all sorts of tools; drills, rotary cutters, etc. If you're planning on doing more than one conversion, buy the tools up front.

Comment

I would like to buy a HL 1/24 as a last resort, I’m buying a Tamiya gearbox and 2mm brass wires for torsion bars tommorow, last question do you think this receiver will work, I already have a 2.4ghz transmitter

Comment

No clue, don't know your transmitter. What board are you planning to use to control your movement and steering? Are you going to rotate the turret with a servo or motors? Do you have a ring gear for them to move the turret? Are you not going to have a speaker for sound? Where will the sound file come from? How will you power the lights you install?

Buy the HL tank.

Comment

No clue, don't know your transmitter. What board are you planning to use to control your movement and steering? Are you going to rotate the turret with a servo or motors? Do you have a ring gear for them to move the turret? Are you not going to have a speaker for sound? Where will the sound file come from? How will you power the lights you install?

Buy the HL tank.
                  I’m planning on just having a tank that can do basic maneuvers like left right forward and backwards and having a 360 degree turret, not too much of those fancy functions just the basics. I have a 3d turret ring that is ready to be printed once I have a general idea of which servo and gear I’m going to buy. And I’m generally new to RC and I thought the receiver controls those basic maneuvers and the turret controls. Also I’m going to use a not so old basic rc controller that’s identical to the stock HL controller that came with the tank.

Comment

I just found an old rc car while looking for parts for the conversion do you think I could instead of buying the HL tank just cannibalize the electronics in the car for the tank?

Comment

I absolutely mean no disrespect, but based on your posts and questions, I don't think you're ready for this level of conversion. You don't have certain tools, you aren't sure about radio receivers, and you aren't aware how r/c tanks function. I wish you good luck, but you may be in for some frustration.

Comment

No disrespect taken I know I’m kind of getting ahead of myself here I think I’ll just stick to making static models for now

Comment

Working...
                        X