X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Track color

Have two tanks with steel treads,where can I get a spray that would give a realistic color .One tank is M1A2 the other is King Tiger

Gun blueing.
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

I usually spray my metal tracks with a light coat of a flat light brown color. As I drive around, the paint wears off at the various high points.

Click image for larger version

Name:	King Tiger 05.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	366134
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I use this then drive through terrain for dirt and debris. After a few runs they start looking natural. I have rattle canned as well. Both work.

Birchwood Casey Brass Black Metal Finish

Comment

Ok thanks looks good!

Comment

Name:	5A67D528-3E83-4F46-992A-A0B2A0A337CA.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	369051 A few hobby paint companies make a track primer paint which is usually a brownish color. Ammo by Mig, AK interactive etc.

Comment

WW2 and cold war era tracks are all metal and easy to color.

Modern tank track such as the Abrams or Leopard2 with rubber pad is a different story. Many of them come painted.

Comment

As said Gun blue has worked very well for my tanks and is realistic. I've tried both the Brownells 44/40 and Oxpho-blue and I like the Oxpho-blue better. I've painted plastic and was happy with them and metal tracks but when I tried the blueing method I much prefer bluing the metal tracks over painting them.

Name:	9yUoWCX.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	369086Plastic tracks spray painted with Tamiya TS-1 Red Brown then highlighted with TS-38 Gunmetal and some light weathering with pigments.

Name:	MCk8kym.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	369087

This is Taigens Metal tracks painted black stock. I weathered with Pigments and scuffed them driving on my cement walkway.

Name:	Cu0IQnO.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	369088These are blued/blackened using the Brownells Oxpho-blue that I like.

Name:	9yzt92O.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	369089These are blued with Brownells 44/40 but I didn't like the reaction time, heat generated and uneven covering. They are also weathered with Mig pigments and the cleats sanded to show use.

Name:	1mx4lhB.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	369090these are done with Brownells Oxpho-blue my product of choice, and Mig pigments and some sanding to show use.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's the Brownells Oxpho-blue:https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod1072.aspx

Comment

I also use the Oxpho-Blue; super easy process with a gallon zip lock bag. I pour about 1/2 bottle in the bag, and put 1 track in there and get it all soaked up. Take it out, dry it off, do the other track. When done, they should be rinsed... I used WD-40 spray last time and they came out well. It's super easy to re-do them too if you ever need to.

Clay

Comment

This is what I use for my 1/35 scale metal model tank tracks. Might be hard to do the r/c tracks due to their sizeClick image for larger version  Name:	440A91A4-1CE7-4D3A-B881-2C49A23B42E0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.5 KB ID:	369124

Comment

I’m getting a tiger-1 in a few days. Its shell is plastic/metal, how should I weather it? (This is my first tank)

Comment

Originally posted by Jpaw33 View Post
                          This is what I use for my 1/35 scale metal model tank tracks. Might be hard to do the r/c tracks due to their sizeClick image for larger version Name:	440A91A4-1CE7-4D3A-B881-2C49A23B42E0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.5 KB ID:	369124
                          I used this on my Panther and Tiger tracks. I had to break each track down into four sections to get them to fit into the 9x13 backing dish and it took 3 bottles diluted 1:2 to do to sets of tracks.

Comment

I just filled a Tupperware container with a bottle and rotated the track through it by hand for a while. Never took the track apart aside from taking it off the tank.
                            RC tank parts and accessories I make
                            www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Just did mine on the Tiger 1 using Birchwood Casey Super Blue. Used rust coloring on the drive/idler/running components. Still have more color to be added on tank body and drive/idler/running components.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0206231516.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.1 KB ID:	369529Click image for larger version  Name:	0206231518.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.5 KB ID:	369530Click image for larger version  Name:	0206231517_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.8 KB ID:	369531

Comment

To get the tracks darker I use super hot water and Dawn soap and scrub them with a chip brush then rinse them well in more hot water and I put down ca couple layers of saran wrap and brush the brush,more like scrub the Birchwood Casy product on. I pour the bluing liquid in a disposable cantainer as not to contaminate the liquid and pour what I need to finish the tracks
                                I usually can get 1 1/2 to 2 sets of tracks per bottom of bluing solution.
                                the key to this is to degrease the tracks and get the medal hot to get the solution to react to the metal on the tracks
                                Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                                  I just filled a Tupperware container with a bottle and rotated the track through it by hand for a while. Never took the track apart aside from taking it off the tank.
                                  Exactly what I did!

With the exception that I used Simple Green to clean and degrease the tracks first And after watching videos on how its done I used an old toothbrush when I was blackening it to get all up inside the tracks and in between cracks and creases after I soaked them and swirled them around. There's no need to use glass or a casserole dish as I've seen. Just a plastic bowl or old tupperware that your wife won't miss or you wouldn't want to eat out of again.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaseline View Post
                                    To get the tracks darker I use super hot water and Dawn soap and scrub them with a chip brush then rinse them well in more hot water and I put down ca couple layers of saran wrap and brush the brush,more like scrub the Birchwood Casy product on. I pour the bluing liquid in a disposable cantainer as not to contaminate the liquid and pour what I need to finish the tracks
                                    I usually can get 1 1/2 to 2 sets of tracks per bottom of bluing solution.
                                    the key to this is to degrease the tracks and get the medal hot to get the solution to react to the metal on the tracks
                                    Hope this helps
                                    Good points. When I used the 44/40 it reacted immediately when I added the tracks to the solution. And just adding the two together produced A Lot of heat. Hot to the point where I actually don't prefer to use the 44/40. It is instant dark black but the 4 oz. container was not enough for both so I ended up using 2 for 8 oz of blackening fluid but this was like $15 per bottle IIRC so that's a lot of &&& IMO. I never thought of heating the tracks first but that makes perfectly good sense. You could also reapply either the same used solution and try to see if it works more or even use more new solution for darker result

I definitely agree with cleaning/degreasing the tracks first.

Another thing to consider about getting a darker black would be burnishing the tracks like is suggested when using these fluids on firearms to get a deeper finish. It depends on what you prefer brand new showroom floor tracks or something that has seen some action.

Chef

Comment

Originally posted by MrChef View Post

Exactly what I did!

With the exception that I used Simple Green to clean and degrease the tracks first And after watching videos on how its done I used an old toothbrush when I was blackening it to get all up inside the tracks and in between cracks and creases after I soaked them and swirled them around. There's no need to use glass or a casserole dish as I've seen. Just a plastic bowl or old tupperware that your wife won't miss or you wouldn't want to eat out of again.
                                      I bought a dish from goodwill. Wasn’t planning on using one of the ones I cook in.

Comment

Ok so I had a few extra minutes and thought I'd share some of my track links that can hopefully illustrate some of the coloring. Again I'm working on taking better pictures so don't kill me if these don't work well.

And if you have any questions about them please ask.

This is all of the spares I have floating around. All of my metal spare tracks are blued and or weathered in case I need to use them-

Name:	7QKJcZ1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	369679

Left to right top to bottom:
                                        1. T-32 Metal Blackened Oxphoblue
                                        2. KV-1 Plastic Not painted

3.Panther G Metal Taigen Painted by them so their stock color
                                        4. Panther G Metal HL Blackened 44/40
                                        5.Panther G HL Plastic Not painted

6. Tiger I Metal Taigen New Painted
                                        7. Tiger I Metal Taigen Older Painted

8.King Tiger Metal HL Oxphoblue
                                        9. King Tiger Plastic HL Painted by me with Tamiya Spray TS-1 Red Brown & TS-38 Gunmetal.

Enjoy. I took some more pics if anyone requests more closeups.

Chef

Comment

Working...
                                        X