X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVSS E8 kit for henglong Sherman

I have hinted to a few of you recently that I was working on something big for Shermans and here it is.
    I've been collaborating with a friend to produce this HVSS kit for the Henglong Sherman along with other big things coming for the Henglong Sherman.
    This is my prototype kit I've been assembling and working through and it's finally ready for some show off and trial runs.
    It has bearings in every wheel and roller as well as metal mato adjustable idlers for proper track tension.
    It also includes a fender kit which I have not installed yet. I just had to get out and drive it. So far I'm very happy with the performance on uneven terrain and rough grass. See for yourself

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG6346.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	366259Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG6347.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	366258Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG6348.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	366260Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG6349.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	366257
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

This is exciting! I have always wanted to make this conversion. Subscribed.

Comment

Name:	Meme_241.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	366273

Comment

Oh I forgot to state also that there are hubcaps for all the wheels. I have not installed them yet as this is a prototype test platform.
        The fenders will go on soon too. I may also install the 76mm turret my partner sent me..... We are going to be offering alot of cool stuff to deck out the henglong sherman to the point no one will know it was ever a henglong.

Comment

Are you using the M26 tracks? Cant wait to get hold of the kit!

Comment

Originally posted by Barmonkey View Post
            Are you using the M26 tracks? Cant wait to get hold of the kit!
            Yes we are using the M26 henglong track. I'm sure Tamiya sherman hvss track would work but it's really hard to find. So the Pershing track will have to do.

Comment

Very cool and seems to work well.

It's so funny how the demand for Sherman parts has changed over the years. First the was Tamiya with HVSS and everyone wanted a VVSS suspension as an option. Then VVSS becomes the only suspension on the market when the Tamiya HVSS tanks dried up and now everyone wants an HVSS system.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                and now everyone wants an HVSS system.
                I'm sure Fury has something to do with that....

Comment

Its more of what is available and what is not. People were tired of the tamiya being the only sherman, and a howitzer at that. Tamiya puts out the super sherman and some modelrs just paint it green and make it look like an ez8 while advanced ones reshape the bustle and engine deck and cut down the barrel. Nick Aguilar put out his T23 turret and engine deck in urethane for advanced modlers for the standard tamiya sherman. Mato made a short run of plastic M4a1 76mm shermans but they had accuracy issues with the turret and the bogies rocked not sprung so people were upset but bought them up. Then henglong makes the vvss but as a howitzer as well.
                  A few years later taigen and mato make the 75mm finaly an actual gun tank sherman. Then taigen made the 76mm and then DKLM put out a 76mm okmo turret that was terrible a few years ago. Now DKLM makes a nice 76mm turret and soon I likely will be as well.

Comment

People always want what's not available... :)

Comment

Further testing of the 3d printed HVSS suspension was done today. Actually I would say progress went from testing to flat out abuse. I went to the desert training center and started with casual driving and then began to work it harder and harder.

I am very knowledgeable with what Tamiay HVSS Shermans are capable of and what they are not. Where their limitations are and at what point damage will occur as I have broken my tamiya shermans. I have blown tranys, broke track pulled idlers off etc etc. I know probably more about driving shermans than most any other RC tanker so I know what to expect and how hard to push this test tank.

Having said all that, I pushed this tank harder, further and put it through more abuse today then I have ever been able to put a Tamiya RC sherman through. Part of the ability this tank has is because of the high tolerance of the pershing track, it does not jam up with sand like a tamiya does when backing. (Or on a pershing just going forward)
                      Another note is just how robust the suspension actually is. I litterally beat it up as hard as I could in the damp compacted sand.
                      I did everything I could to foul the track, throw the track, jam it up and just plain break it as you will see in the following tests.

I have to say I am really impressed by the performance so far. I was able to drive it much harder than I do my tamiya shermans. And through all of what your about to see I didnt break anything or throw any track.

Name:	KIMG6370.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	366528Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG6371.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	366529Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG6376.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	366530

Comment

Name:	19476.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	367710Click image for larger version

Name:	19474.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	367711Click image for larger version

Name:	19477.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	367712Click image for larger version

Name:	19473.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	367713Click image for larger version

Name:	19503.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	367714Click image for larger version

Name:	19504.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	367715Click image for larger version

Name:	19590.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	367716Click image for larger version

Name:	19589.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	367717

Thought I would drop some photos of another Sherman product I will be offering.
                        Thanks to a good friend for printing my prototype for me as my printer is still in transit.
                        The T23 is set up for servo elevation and recoil and drops right onto a henglong.

The HVSS is coming along. We are working on some design changes based on my use and abuse lol. It wont be long now.

Stay tuned, more great Sherman stuff is coming as well.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	19476.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	367710Click image for larger version  Name:	19474.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.0 KB ID:	367711Click image for larger version  Name:	19477.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.2 KB ID:	367712Click image for larger version  Name:	19473.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	367713Click image for larger version  Name:	19503.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	367714Click image for larger version  Name:	19504.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.4 KB ID:	367715Click image for larger version  Name:	19590.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.7 KB ID:	367716Click image for larger version  Name:	19589.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.1 KB ID:	367717

Thought I would drop some photos of another Sherman product I will be offering.
                          Thanks to a good friend for printing my prototype for me as my printer is still in transit.
                          The T23 is set up for servo elevation and recoil and drops right onto a henglong.

The HVSS is coming along. We are working on some design changes based on my use and abuse lol. It wont be long now.

Stay tuned, more great Sherman stuff is coming as well.
                          It looks like it is coming along nicely. Those parts look excellent 👍👍 can’t wait to see them assembled on a tank.

Are you going to have the parts for people to see at the Jan 22nd 2023 San Diego battle day?

Comment

I have hinted to a few of you recently that I was working on something big for Shermans and here it is.
                            I've been collaborating with a friend to produce this HVSS kit for the Henglong Sherman along with other big things coming for the Henglong Sherman.
                            This is my prototype kit I've been assembling and working through and it's finally ready for some show off and trial runs.
                            It has bearings in every wheel and roller as well as metal mato adjustable idlers for proper track tension.
                            It also includes a fender kit which I have not installed yet. I just had to get out and drive it. So far I'm very happy with the performance on uneven terrain and rough grass. See for yourself

Name:	KIMG6346.jpg
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	366259Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG6347.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	366258Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG6348.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	366260Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG6349.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	366257
                            Cough! Cough! RichJohnson, you mount the 2 tracks in opposite direction.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post

Cough! Cough! RichJohnson, you mount the 2 tracks in opposite direction.

haga yes, I have been waiting for someone to catch that lol,
                              it was intentional as I spent as much time driving the tank backward as forward during testing.
                              the reason is because the henglong tracks are single pin molded and I wanted to test it with a track backwards.

Comment

haga yes, I have been waiting for someone to catch that lol,
                                it was intentional as I spent as much time driving the tank backward as forward during testing.
                                the reason is because the henglong tracks are single pin molded and I wanted to test it with a track backwards.
                                Your video look excellent. I wouldn't have guessed that it was the HL single pin tracks. What is the conclusion from your testing?

I gave up on the HL metal tracks after @robicon99 showed me the problem. What do you think of the Mato, Taigen, Torro or Kenny's track for Sherman? Your assessment?

Comment

Well that’s a mixed bag of track. Some types are vvss and some are hvss.
                                  for hvss, which is that my conversion kit is for, Tamiya track would be the best. I have much of it stockpiled for my Tamiya Shermans in the future as they need it but it is no longer available so I didn’t even bother to test it.
                                  the Hl Pershing track is what’s available and most common and cost effective so that’s why I tested it,
                                  mato, taigen and Kenny Kong all make metal track but I fear excessive wear with metal track. I do have some mato or taigen, both I think, as well as a spare set of impact T66 so later, when I am satisfied with our suspension I might test them but not yet.

for VVSS Sherman’s the henglong track is ok. Taigen track is also ok, but taigen is heavy metal that looks like the rubber chevrons, it’s always bugged me and it stretches. Mato makes nice track, you have to run their sprocket though, as is true with henglong and taigen. Mato has a few types of metal cleat track and they give pretty good adhesion and traction over both stock henglong and taigen track.

Comment

Keep us updated on your progress, Rich. I am preparing one of my Sherman's for this purpose.
                                    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                      Keep us updated on your progress, Rich. I am preparing one of my Sherman's for this purpose.
                                      I have one set aside too. Can’t wait for these kits to finally be released.

Comment

I'll need that turret too.

Name:	Take My Money.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	368361
                                        Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Working...
                                        X