X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic speaker from Toucan

Since I was ordering other items anyway, I somehow came across these from Toucah:

Panasonic Best Speaker? OK, why not? I ordered 2 as it looks larger in the photo, and well yes those are big. Installed 1 in my Abrams and I'd say there's 1/2 inch between the hull sides and the edges of the speaker box. It does not sit on the bottom of the hull due to the plastic gusseting inside, but it does sit on top of my wheel weights and the top of the box is about level with the top of the lower hull. Just barely fits.

Sound quality is indeed good. With the Abrams, I'd always had a hard time hearing the machine gun over the engine sound; with this speaker the machine gun is much clearer and easily heard over the engine. The engine sounds about the same. When I say "sounds the same", what I mean is that the tone (bass, mid, treble) is similar to the original speaker; it doesn't seem to reproduce the engine noise with too much treble or too much bass and it does not sound muffled. This tank still has the 7.0 board in it though. Volume is better, the larger speaker cone area does produce louder volume; we generally run full volume outdoors

Due to the size... I don't know that it will fit very well in a lot of models. We are either going to put the other one in a Leopard, or maybe a Tiger 1, depending on what my daughter decides. To me, it sounds like the speaker in the Tiger 1 is already starting to blow out so that will probably be a good candidate for this unit if it fits.

Clay

No. Why? 2" X 3.5" speakers are to "tinny" and offer 0 low end frequency response. The Abrams can easily accomodate a 3" traditional round speaker and offer boat loads of bottom end performance provided a good driver is chosen. Dayton Audio has proven time and time again to have excllent bass response (especially for their size) great sensitivity and a very wide frequency curve.

But thats just my opinion. You do what you feel is best of course.

Comment

For the price I just figured it was worth trying, especially with the failure rate of the stock speakers. I'll look at the Dayton options though for sure...

Clay

Comment

When you get it, lets hear your thoughts

Comment

Zipp Which Dayton Audio speaker did you use They only have a million of them LOL
          Thanks

Comment

DSA90-8 in the Abrams Click image for larger version  Name:	20221217_013214.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.5 KB ID:	368663

Comment

Really awesome !Where did you get the soldiers?

Comment

Some are cheap, others not so. I paint them, but I admit I suck at it....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230129_084157.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.9 KB ID:	368736

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/JoyToy-Freedo...7-93deae8f9840

Comment

Well done !

Comment

Originally posted by megawatt40 View Post
                    Well done !
                    Your very kind, thank you.

Comment

No I really mean it they are awesome !

Comment

The OKMO speaker at DKLM RC is sold out.

The 2.5" Visaton driver can be found at every US electronic house. You can order from Parts Express, The shipping is cheaper if you go through Amazon. A small vented box needs to be built to get the lowest bass.
                        Visaton FRS7-4 2.5" Full-Range Speaker 4 OhmVisaton's 2011 FRS7 2.5", 4-ohm full-range driver features a water resistant cone and is suitable as a midrange driver in three-way speakers, wide-band use in background and constant-voltage industrial PA speaker systems (transformer not included). The high output design is also great for use in applications where size restrictions exist. An optional grill is available in the Related Items section to provide additional protection.

Comment

A ported ( or sealed) speaker enclosure has nothing to do with a speakers ability to play low bass frequencies. The free air resonance (fs) of the driver along with the rest of the observed Thiele-Small Parameters accounts for how low of a frequency response a given driver will go. In a RC tank where space is at a premium, a sealed enclosure is the best choice. One other reason why the Dayton speakers do well is the size of the voice coil. Its not going to blow out with any tank board. Its a shame I dont have my sine wave generator & spectrum analyzer anymore as it would prove my point. Don't confuse Hz & Db......

Click image for larger version

Name:	bass.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	368969

Comment

We are not talking about home stereophile speakers. It is a tiny 2.5" full range driver for small system. In this particular case for this Visaton, both sealed or vented enclosures are 0,02 cubic feet which are way too big for a Heng Long tank. You build a smaller box to fit the tank. The acoustic output from the vent arguments the bass to go lower and efficiency to get higher. Sound quality is not an issue here.

Everything else @Zippersnapper​ said about home speaker quality is true. For anyone interested in speaker building, I recommend this website:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4729.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	369013Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4910.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	369014
                            It is a different kind of fun.​ Been there, done that. My home system evolved with time when I built. You will not get Audio Research type quality and will not save money compared to buying mass market audio gears from Japan. Only the satisfaction of building your own.

Comment

Working...
                            X