X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henglong Abrams overheating.

Hey all. I have a Abrams upgrade edition with metal tracks and red cans. They LOOK like the reds from toucan but they heat up like mad. 10 minutes of running and it powers off. Still have plenty of charge in the battery but if I touch the back it's very toasty (super scale to the real one eh?)

Is there anything I can do? Maybe strap a fan in back and cut slits in the grill? I don't intend to take it swimming so waterproofing is a nill issue.

I don’t know what you should do but I do know there are poor quality clone red can motors out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Alurios View Post
      Hey all. I have a Abrams upgrade edition with metal tracks and red cans. They LOOK like the reds from toucan but they heat up like mad. 10 minutes of running and it powers off. Still have plenty of charge in the battery but if I touch the back it's very toasty (super scale to the real one eh?)

Is there anything I can do? Maybe strap a fan in back and cut slits in the grill? I don't intend to take it swimming so waterproofing is a nill issue.
      What type and voltage rating of battery are your running?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

What type and voltage rating of battery are your running?
        7.2v 3600 mah nimh. Also happens on the stock battery.

Comment

It sounds like a pair of defective 390 red motors to me. Heng Long use knock-off 380 series motors with less than ideal quality control. Usually, the red 390 runs much cooler than the blue 380 or the stock grey 380 because the 390 has built in cooling fan inside the case.

I have tested a few 380 and 390 motors. The chart below shows typical temperature rises about ambient in a Heng Long tank driving metal tracks. The Tamiya380 is a bonafile Mubachi RS-380PH motor. You can get them from Tamiya Parts mail order store cheaper than the Heng Long blue 380 or red 390. If you want the extra speed, 390 motor is the only way to go.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	380-390casetemp_pershing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	375657
          The genuine Mubachi/Tamiya 380 motor runs cooler because it uses high quality ball bearings. Lower bearing friction means lower motor temperature. I suspect all their parts are made to tighter tolerances too. The only inconvenience wtih the Tamiya motor is that you have to buy and press fit the 10-teeth gear. Heng Long red is NOT the only option for 390 motor. I use a pair of MaxFans390 bought at Amazon with good results. Same comment about the gear.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	mabuchi_rs380ph-tamiya.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.6 KB ID:	375659Click image for larger version  Name:	mabuchi_rs380ph-tamiya-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	375658
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4980.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	375660

Have you contact Toucan Hobby yet? I was very impressed with their customer service. You can open the top of your Abrams and show how hot the red motor gets with a non-contact thermometer.

Comment

He said the reds he got are not name brand H-L and I know that there are people that have gotten lower quality clone red can motors. I buy mine from Motion, I trust them and their customer service.

Comment

7.2v 3600 mah nimh. Also happens on the stock battery.
              Ok, try running the tank in the low power setting. This will reduce power to the motors by 30%. Only use high power when it is needed. If in low power mode the motors are still running so hot that the control system shuts down then you need to replace them.

Also another fact I f you are running in grass or loose dirt/sand this will add a huge load on the motors and they will overheat rather fast especially if you are making a lot of turning movements.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Ok, try running the tank in the low power setting. This will reduce power to the motors by 30%. Only use high power when it is needed. If in low power mode the motors are still running so hot that the control system shuts down then you need to replace them.

Also another fact I f you are running in grass or loose dirt/sand this will add a huge load on the motors and they will overheat rather fast especially if you are making a lot of turning movements.
                I think this may be my issue. I'm gonna tear into everything this week and see whats going on. Luckily I kept the stock motors.

Comment

Working...
                X