Roban - World Class Scale Helicopters

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to get into rc tanks as a new hobby any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll chime in here. Regardless of the model you pick, get a basic one for your first. You can always get post-purchase upgrades, that's actually part of the fun. But starting basic means your investment is less, and if something breaks it won't sting as much and you'll be more comfortable taking it apart and fixing or modifying it. This goes for painting and weathering too. It's lot easier to jump in on a <$200 plastic tank, than a >$500 metal monster! T-34's and Sherman's are great first choices if you'll be going outside. Tigers have interleaved wheels which can get clogged and jammed. But, the heart wants what the heart wants!

I worked parttime at a hobby shop some time ago. We'd always see new r/c flyers come in wanting the fanciest plane for their first; usually a Mustang or Corsair. We'd try to steer them to a trainer first, but if they were obdurate, we'd sell them the plane of their dreams, knowing they'd be back for a trainer later. It always happened.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by MrChef View Post

I have been a Tiger I Fanatic, not just a fan since I was a kid. So I won't say no to that choice. The Tiger I has a lot of support and aftermarket options. As a model alone not even an RC tank it has amazing resources available for historical accuracy and investigation.
      I would love to see a tiger 1 or panther with the Zimmerit coating to protect against magnetic mines that would look so cool I think.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
        I'll chime in here. Regardless of the model you pick, get a basic one for your first. You can always get post-purchase upgrades, that's actually part of the fun. But starting basic means your investment is less, and if something breaks it won't sting as much and you'll be more comfortable taking it apart and fixing or modifying it. This goes for painting and weathering too. It's lot easier to jump in on a <$200 plastic tank, than a >$500 metal monster! T-34's and Sherman's are great first choices if you'll be going outside. Tigers have interleaved wheels which can get clogged and jammed. But, the heart wants what the heart wants!

I worked part-time at a hobby shop some time ago. We'd always see new r/c flyers come in wanting the fanciest plane for their first; usually a Mustang or Corsair. We'd try to steer them to a trainer first, but if they were obdurate, we'd sell them the plane of their dreams, knowing they'd be back for a trainer later. It always happened.
        Thanks for that input Bob, From what all these guy where telling me last night was basically what you said. I love there is general agreement amongst people so far in these forums and offering good advice and guidance as well as sharing experiences and their tanks. This hobby has me stoked. Thank you Bob :)

Comment

Originally posted by Baddest_Larry View Post

I would love to see a tiger 1 or panther with the Zimmerit coating to protect against magnetic mines that would look so cool I think.
          Heng Long does not offer the Zimmerit on any of their German tanks. Taigen/Torro do offer it on their "mid & late" model Tiger I', but their entry purchase price is $500+.

But if you got a Heng Long Tiger I and wanted to add it kits are available or many modelers make their own in several different ways. And of course you would need to paint it.

Comment

Heng Long does not offer the Zimmerit on any of their German tanks. Taigen/Torro do offer it on their "mid & late" model Tiger I', but their entry purchase price is $500+.

But if you got a Heng Long Tiger I and wanted to add it kits are available or many modelers make their own in several different ways. And of course you would need to paint it.
            I figured that was the case after digging for it, painting wouldn't be that bad i would have fun with that I think.

Comment

Painting, weathering, scouring the internet for accessories, and repairing and maintaining are a major fun part of the hobby!

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                Painting, weathering, scouring the internet for accessories, and repairing and maintaining are a major fun part of the hobby!

Repairs sound fun, cant wait for that and customizing maybe not the weathering so much.

Comment

My T-34/85 as is stands today, but mine is a Taigen modified with a Clark TK50 board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0806.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	379123

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                    My T-34/85 as is stands today, but mine is a Taigen modified with a Clark TK50 board.

Name:	101_0806.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	379123
                    Wow 😲 that is a super good looking t-34/85 as well, I am getting a ton of ideas and inspiration for my own. Any later cold war variants, possibly ones with upgraded armor or ir projectors and stuff I think I have seen some examples of this.

Comment

Here's some Tiger I to keep you motivated-

Comment

Here's some Tiger I to keep you motivated-

I love the barrel scrim on that beautiful 88mm gun that dull drab German grey with the weathering done up right absolute perfection.

Comment

Here's what you can end up with after detailing a Tiger1 and installing a 'Apple IR' system.

Name:	20230322_155527.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	379145Click image for larger version

Name:	20230409_085029.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	379146 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by cmdrcody View Post
                            Here's what you can end up with after detailing a Tiger1 and installing a 'Apple IR' system.

Name:	20230322_155527.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	379145Click image for larger version

Name:	20230409_085029.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	379146
                            Wow Cody, that's a beautiful tiger 1, how does the apple ir compare to the heng long ir? And a question for everyone, when you paint and do your tanks or armor where do you draw inspiration or ideas from on how you want to make it look unit and country markings ECT?

Comment

I'll tell you, the LegoDEI "apple" is totally worth the investment. I hesitated, and tried out the 3d-printed sunshades, but the LegoDEI apple really made a huge difference!

Clay

Comment

Originally posted by Baddest_Larry View Post
                                And a question for everyone, when you paint and do your tanks or armor where do you draw inspiration or ideas from on how you want to make it look unit and country markings ECT?
                                Here's the "Tank Encyclopedia" it's a good start for information and pictures of both Allied and Axis Armor- https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/g...r-vi_tiger.php

There are many sites to help with Painting, Camouflage, Markings and Unit Numbers for many of the available RC model tanks.

Comment

I try to base my markings on real vehicles. Did the real vehicle look like this....nope. Some people find an exact vehicle like "Deathstalker" (an M551 Sheridan) and build an exact replica. Some people do their own thing. However you want to roll...

Comment

Originally posted by ccarley View Post
                                    I'll tell you, the LegoDEI "apple" is totally worth the investment. I hesitated, and tried out the 3d-printed sunshades, but the LegoDEI apple really made a huge difference!

Clay
                                    Clay does it work with other IR battle systems? Thanks for the tank encyclopedia link chef, I would love to one day get on of the Abrams tanks and put our unit markings from my regiment on it.

Comment

LegoDEI is compatible with all Tamiya compatible boards - IE: Clark, Heng Long 6.x/7.x, IBU, ASP, Elmod, TCB...

If you are using the stock HL electronics, order the Heng Long version. There is another version for the other boards listed above that has additional resisters added to avoid damage to the LegoDEI receiver unit when using those boards.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                                        LegoDEI is compatible with all Tamiya compatible boards - IE: Clark, Heng Long 6.x/7.x, IBU, ASP, Elmod, TCB...

If you are using the stock HL electronics, order the Heng Long version. There is another version for the other boards listed above that has additional resisters added to avoid damage to the LegoDEI receiver unit when using those boards.
                                        Thanks for that information that could have been tragic huh?

Comment

Today is the day, I am picking my first tank out today and am expecting it before the week is out to arrive at my home. Any final suggestions? I will let everyone know what I choose hopefully this afternoon I am stoked.

Comment

Working...
                                          X