X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenging Challenger 2

As I have not been on here for a while, I thought there might be interest in my attempts to build a representation of a UK tank that served in Iraq on operation Telic. Call sign 32 of A Sqn Scots Dragoons. I bought this model about 3 years ago, and worked on it slowly in between changing jobs, building a house, and finally moving in. It helped with a stressful time at work, hence changing job. It was leave or hit the manager.
    Any way a start was made on the rear panel. Which ended up looking like this. Click image for larger version

Name:	C90A5E23-ADDC-478A-B6DE-79E9E615A201.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	379607 The whole rear bulkhead was stripped and details studied and each part built slowly, from the lights to the first aid box and fuel tank carriers. Next was the replacement of the plastic wheels, with full metal wheels, with bearings, and metal tracks, and a start was made on the installation of the secondary appliqué armour
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0E950E45-AADF-42E7-BB0A-5E8EDE399A79.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	379608Click image for larger version

Name:	4D3E427C-4EB1-4298-A95E-BF3D1E8C2438.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	379609Click image for larger version

Name:	EBB927E1-7559-4E37-B6C2-86CA311463EC.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	379610Click image for larger version

Name:	AF4D592D-C0E3-4868-BFB8-D8F0B9F0C66A.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	379611 Mudguards were made from nylon, but later changed to rubber from old inner tubes. Head lights were installed, along with working indicators, made from Lego. A representation of the conduits to the lights were made from solder and paper, with dust skirt fixtures made from plastic card. Nuts were made from various sizes of hexagonal plastic rod. Next up was the travel lock/support for the gun. This was made to work, however because I am a kack handed buffoon, I ended up gluing it up.🤬 Click image for larger version

Name:	B9ECBB75-4073-440C-8951-3950C410EA3E.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	379625Click image for larger version

Name:	739C3DCA-F4AA-44A4-B80F-E62AFFBD6460.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	379614
    Over time, the electronics were sorted. Working indicators, brake lights, head and tail lights were connected. A servo operated gun recoil was fitted, along with cannon smoke and flash. I tried to install gun elevation and depression, using a servo but failed, so resorted to school boy physics and made a slightly longer arm for the elevation motor. Click image for larger version

Name:	431D1699-FECC-4462-B8EF-1001D7C752A8.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	379615Click image for larger version

Name:	AACD506A-54C8-4FB8-B2BC-74E4D404AF0B.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	379616Click image for larger version

Name:	AD3D7FC2-3C12-4E1E-8986-31C570D5F302.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	379617 Some smaller details were made in the area of the fire extinguishers, which also had a small amount of additional detail added. These were painted and covered with a cloth to represent the canvas covers as seen in photographs. Click image for larger version

Name:	2985FF55-FD81-4BD4-BF0A-34E37B453100.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	379618 Everything was painted, and on re-assembly of the chassis, one of the swing arms broke, which was repaired with brass rod and JB Weld. Click image for larger version

Name:	0E9B6DA5-B0CA-45CD-85CF-DC439AFB4F73.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	379619Click image for larger version

Name:	671C872A-2FBF-479A-A3C7-687EB9062DAA.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	379620Click image for larger version

Name:	87D76AF7-4B66-4DEC-9173-C8DC95B6E221.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	379621Click image for larger version

Name:	FF15F2AF-2239-47E7-89B0-0CD368FB2FC0.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	379622 The call sign, the Saltire 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 and coalition markings were a mixture of stencils, masking, and reflective tapeI still need to put the Desert Rat symbol on the door of the TISH. Click image for larger version

Name:	09532AD1-59C0-4210-9550-606799AB6CF5.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	379623 Dust skirts were made from an old pair of trousers (pants for our colonial cousins). The loader’s 7.62mm machine gun was from a 3d printed kit, and aerials from small springs and wire. Sorry there are not more photographs but I did not really think about recording all the work as I did not think anyone would be particularly interested, especially given the quality of other people’s work, and my limited abilities. It is not 100% accurate, but it has give a lot of pleasure (which it what it is about) a few frustrations along the way and built on the skills and learning from the work carried out on my Abrams. Click image for larger version

Name:	1017DA73-99F1-43C1-A982-BCCE35BE6C4D.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	379624 There is still a bit to do, like weathering and finishing some painting.
    Please feel free to critique
    Regards Ian
    Attached Files

Ahh the Challenging Challenger.

Excellent work Sir! Good to see you here.

Chef

Comment

Originally posted by MrChef View Post
      Ahh the Challenging Challenger.

Excellent work Sir! Good to see you here.

Chef
      Thank you for the welcome. It is more of a re-join and reintroduction than anything else.

Challenging Challenger, is the nice expression for it. I would be banned if I wrote my true thoughts of it.

Regards Ian

Comment

Ever started a job, then regretted it? Last night was that day. Whilst reading the many posts about upgrading the suspension on the first and last road wheel to help with keeping metal tracks in place, decided to tackle the bast@#£d Challenger. I had ordered some upgraded suspension arms and it turned out there was enough to do the T72, Abrams, and Challenger. The T72 went a doddle. I just put one on the last road wheel and one on the front road wheel. I might need to revisit this as it is a bit hard. The Abrams, again a doddle. This time the two last road wheels were fitted with the springs ( one on the softer setting) and the first road wheel. All new spring washers were installed to stop things coming undone. These two took about an hour and a half. The bast@£#d Challenger (known from now on a BC) would not play ball. Ended up taking out the gear boxes and drilling new holes for the springs to sit in to get the right tension and to stop the springs coming out of the swing arms. Four hours over two evenings. Any way now done, so need to find time to take it for a run. Hopefully all the time spent will cure the tracks heading issues. This along with new spring washes, and a small dab of PVA on the screws. One adjuster on the idler wheel is still a bit loose so may give problems. Who knows with the BC.

Comment

The Challenger was my most challenging tank. I got the version with metal tracks road wheels, Idler wheels and drive wheels among other upgrades. I had the issue of the pins in the tracks walking out. People on here pointed me to it being an issue of the single pin tracks and the track width. I bought better double pin tracks and spent a bit of time modifying the width between the two halves of the drive wheels with washers. Once I found the best width I JB Welded the drive wheels together and haven't had a single problem with the tank since. I also added bearings to the output drive shaft, which I'm sure helped. I also have the red motors in mine.

Comment

Aaaaah the challenger 2. The one tank I wished I had a wood chipper sometimes. Mine is the steel option with the red 390s. The only tank I had to mess with straight from the box. Tracks would walk off no matter what I did. Left it for a few weeks, put a battery in it and b**ger me it's been running ever since. Just don't get it in the mud, cloggs up under the skirts. The Abrams doesn't clog up and is a good runner

Comment

Last night I managed to get a run out of the Challenger. No track throwing! It was only a short run as I was preparing for a job interview, and the neighbours kids were in bed. I think I have a faulty battery, which is not holding a charge. Which did not help. Taking it to the beach tonight. Tracks have to be drum tight, so removed a link to set tension. So all the work “seems” to have paid off. Update and maybe a video to follow.

Comment

Took out the Challenger over some difficult terrain this afternoon. Only started throwing the left track after an hour. It was run over sand, grass, mud, stones, and water. Now in for track tightening. I may have a faulty connection somewhere, possibly the main switch, as it exhibited a tendency to turn off in some instances on switching on. Click image for larger version

Name:	E9BBC081-B6F5-4039-ADE8-6162982C6D33.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	381263Please excuse the commander. He may have been drinking. He does look a bit under the influence, and he seems to be disobeying the uniform requirements.

Comment

Well that's some positive news. Glad to hear you got some good time in before any issues.

Nice pic too.

Care to share which battery or batteries you are using? Is it getting you a full hour of fun or are you switching out batteries?

Comment

[QUOTE=

Nice pic too.

Care to share which battery or batteries you are using? Is it getting you a full hour of fun or are you switching out batteries?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the compliment, regarding the photograph.
                    I was using a 4000mAh LiPo. I do remove the exhaust smokers from my tanks, and no battery change.
                    Regards Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Meter Rat View Post

Thank you for the compliment, regarding the photograph.
                      I was using a 4000mAh LiPo. I do remove the exhaust smokers from my tanks, and no battery change.
                      Regards Ian
                      Good job and nice pictures. Enjoy reading your progress journal.

A 4000mAh LiPo should last you up to 2 hours of running time when new. But LiPo battery degrades quick and last not much more than 200 charge cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post

Good job and nice pictures. Enjoy reading your progress journal.

A 4000mAh LiPo should last you up to 2 hours of running time when new. But LiPo battery degrades quick and last not much more than 200 charge cycles.
                        With A 4000mAh battery it probably would have run longer, but it started to rain and the wife was getting cold, so it was time to call it a day and head for the all encompassing warmth of the pub.

Comment

Originally posted by Meter Rat View Post
                          As I have not been on here for a while, I thought there might be interest in my attempts to build a representation of a UK tank that served in Iraq on operation Telic. Call sign 32 of A Sqn Scots Dragoons. I bought this model about 3 years ago, and worked on it slowly in between changing jobs, building a house, and finally moving in. It helped with a stressful time at work, hence changing job. It was leave or hit the manager.

he whole rear bulkhead was stripped and details studied and each part built slowly, from the lights to the first aid box and fuel tank carriers. Next was the replacement of the plastic wheels, with full metal wheels, with bearings, and metal tracks, and a start was made on the installation of the secondary appliqué armour

Regards Ian
                          What brand of metal road wheel and metal track do you use? Are the ball bearings of good quality?

Comment

DKLMRC Tracks. Heng Long wheels. Bearing were the ones that came in the wheels. They seem good, considering the abuse I now am able to give the tank. I have not had to replace any.

Comment

Meter Rat, I notice you're in Scotland and mentioned the Dragoons. I just saw a video about Sgt. Harris and his Firefly, not long after D Day. Wow, very impressive.

Also, have you checked out WCP Models? Not sure what part of Scotland they're in, but in case you haven't, that's Will and Cat Pattinson, and they have some very cool stuff. Will is a rather talented designer, and Cat has a knack for paint. There's a chance I may soon be building a 1/6 scale Nashorn, and I'll convert a PzIV so pretty much the entire upper and fighting compartment have to be built from scratch, but the real thing is mainly flat plate steel and I'll get Will to build the gun and it's mount (I'll do a turned metal barrel at work) and I just may be on to something.

Comment

Originally posted by Max-U52 View Post
                                Meter Rat, I notice you're in Scotland and mentioned the Dragoons. I just saw a video about Sgt. Harris and his Firefly, not long after D Day. Wow, very impressive.

Also, have you checked out WCP Models? Not sure what part of Scotland they're in, but in case you haven't, that's Will and Cat Pattinson, and they have some very cool stuff. Will is a rather talented designer, and Cat has a knack for paint. There's a chance I may soon be building a 1/6 scale Nashorn, and I'll convert a PzIV so pretty much the entire upper and fighting compartment have to be built from scratch, but the real thing is mainly flat plate steel and I'll get Will to build the gun and it's mount (I'll do a turned metal barrel at work) and I just may be on to something.
                                Yes I know Will and Cat. Metaphorically they are on the other side of the River Clyde from me. Just had some stuff from them. Very good quality.

Comment

Working...
                                X