X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL Abrams with TUSK I kits

I am slowly adding the TUSK I kits onto my Abrams. Does anyone know where to get those bullet proof thick glasses? Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4090.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	391944

If you end up cutting out your own from a sheet of clear styrene (craft stores?) you can tint them green with Tamiya translucent spray or acrylic.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
      I am slowly adding the TUSK I kits onto my Abrams. Does anyone know where to get those bullet proof thick glasses? Thank you!

Name:	IMG_4090.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	391944
      Looking goodđź‘Ťđź‘Ť.

I knew you would figure out the side skirt ERA mounting. Are you also going to add the "Trophy" APS to the turret. DKLM has a nice 3D printed kit for it. I have the "Trophy" APS kit on my display Abrams but will be moving to my Tamiya Abrams soon it just looks to cool to never be seen.

Comment

That looks outstanding, I got the tusk 2 kit,for my Abrams., no instructions pictures nothing, I emailed toucan and they just said put them wherever you want. These pictures are really giving me a better understanding of how the placement should be. I have a question, my set is a little heavy would anyone recommend a good gearbox and motor assembly, right now I have the basic steel gear assembly with the brass bushings not bearings. Also has anyone tried the Mato gearbox in a Heng long tank? I know that they are expensive but what I’ve read about them they are tough gearboxes. It I can’t see paying that much . I’ll probably just go with the steel gearbox with bearings and what would be a good set of motors?
        Last edited by wsouza; Dec 3, 2023, 12:22 PM. Reason: I put tusk 3 instead of tusk 2

Comment

I’ve fitted Heng Long ultimate gearboxes with red motors, also from HL in my Challenger. This has the full Chobham armour kit.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	3F495DEC-AEC0-49CC-9046-5F2E3B39437A.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	391954 Going to try some 390’s from FTX in another model.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
            If you end up cutting out your own from a sheet of clear styrene (craft stores?) you can tint them green with Tamiya translucent spray or acrylic.
            From the picture that I found, they are quite thick. I hope to find a clear styrene that thick heheh.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	391960

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Looking goodđź‘Ťđź‘Ť.

I knew you would figure out the side skirt ERA mounting. Are you also going to add the "Trophy" APS to the turret. DKLM has a nice 3D printed kit for it. I have the "Trophy" APS kit on my display Abrams but will be moving to my Tamiya Abrams soon it just looks to cool to never be seen.
              Thank you for letting me know about the "trophy". I am working on an of order with Carson. I will ask him to add it in.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post

From the picture that I found, they are quite thick. I hope to find a clear styrene that thick heheh.
                You can find clear acrylic in various thicknesses at just about any hardware store or big box (Lowes/Home Depot). I cut the acrylic with normal wood working tools.

Comment

What’s the best way to cut the clear styrene plastic

Comment

Originally posted by wsouza View Post
                    What’s the best way to cut the clear styrene plastic
                    A very low rpm rotary tool and cutting disk is ideal to cutting styrene plastic sheets. Make sure you wear a mask and eye protective glass when doing it. I use a 4V rotary tool for plastic and an 8V one for brass and aluminum. I use the cutting disk from my old Dremel tool. You may have to buy it separately if you do not have an old Dremel.

AOTE-PITT Mini Cordless Rotary Tool Kit, 4V Small Lightweight Electric Power Engraving Pen Multi Speed with LED Light and 72 Accessories, USB Charge for Sanding, Polishing, Carving, DIY. - Amazon.com​

Amazon.com: DEPSTECH Cordless Rotary Tool Kit, 8V 2.0Ah Rechargeable Battery, 30000RPM 5-Speed Multi Power Carving Tools, 127Pcs Accessories, Shield Attachment, Cutting/Drilling Guide for Handmade/DIY Creations : Everything Else

The 12V rotary tool is too heavy and too much vibration for modeling work.​

Comment

I'm a major tool geek. With the amount of styrene, ABS sheet, and acrylic that I cut I picked up one of these:

It's definitely not perfect as the fence is very limited to the size of the piece, but I've learned to work around it's limitations. It does save so much time though as the cuts are clean and require very little clean-up. I like the single screw for the fence on the Proxxon as there is no need to make sure the fence is perfectly straight. There are mini table saws all the way up to over $500, but don't buy the Harbor Freight one. It's junk. I returned it.

Comment

The imported mini table saw or mini miter saw from China lowered the price to that of a Dremel tool. They are good investment if you do enough scratch building. For hobbyist like me, a rotary tool is a good investment at a lower price point. They work equally well at 1/3 the price of a equivalent Dremel tool.

Comment

I use a bandsaw with a fine metal blade for cutting acrylic or plexiglass. I use a lot of it in my tanks that have urethane casting hulls for bracing and support. I use it for servo mounts and brackets and such. For the thinner sheets of stuff like plastic card thickness I just score it with an exacto and snap it.
                          RC tank parts and accessories I make
                          www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

I put everything on. I did a bit of weathering. The next step is to head to the hardware store and find the plexiglass to cut. It will be awhile with that work.At this time, the tank has the correct barrel recoil function, rc panoramic sight rotation, and rc commander hatch opens/closes.

Name:	IMG_8902.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	392331 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8900.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	392332

Comment

Name:	IMG_8903.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	392334 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8901.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	392335

Comment

Name:	IMG_8904.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	392337 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8906.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	392338

Comment

Here it is next to the my old IR battle Abrams

Name:	IMG_8908.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	392340 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8909.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	392341

Comment

Looks good
                                    RC tank parts and accessories I make
                                    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Name:	IMG_8911.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	392344

Name:	IMG_8910.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	392345

Comment

Excellent comparison. Thank you for sharing Davidđź‘Ť

Comment

Working...
                                        X