X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heng long battery question

I just picked up a Heng Long King Tiger pro edition and I was interested in upgrading to a better battery than the one it came with. I seen a few posts where people recomended the admiral 3500 and 7000mah batteries...but when I asked motionrc about the admiral batteries they said only the 3500 would fit and not the 7000 despite reading other people saying the 7000 will fit. So just wanted to know if anyone can clarify this for me. I dont have much rc/electronic knowledge so not looking to custom build any battery packs. Just wondering what ready to use battery packs everyone with HL tanks recomends?

I use 2S 5200mAh LiPo’s.

Comment

Originally posted by aerxie View Post
      I just picked up a Heng Long King Tiger pro edition and I was interested in upgrading to a better battery than the one it came with. I seen a few posts where people recomended the admiral 3500 and 7000mah batteries...but when I asked motionrc about the admiral batteries they said only the 3500 would fit and not the 7000 despite reading other people saying the 7000 will fit. So just wanted to know if anyone can clarify this for me. I dont have much rc/electronic knowledge so not looking to custom build any battery packs. Just wondering what ready to use battery packs everyone with HL tanks recomends?
      The Heng Long OEM Li-Ion battery claims 1800mAh. I have 4 of them which measured from 800 to 1200mAh in capacity. You do the right thing to upgrade it.

Size wise, both admiral 3500 and 7000mah should fit any plastic chassis (basic, upgrade, pro) version HL King Tiger battery compartment, but NOT the all metal chassis version. Newer HL tank uses XT60 connector and older HL uses Tamiya connector for battery connection. MotionRC is inconsistent with the connector for their battery. Make sure you get the correct connector or a convector to match them.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4961.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	393827
      You may find this thread useful.
      The NiMH pack is made up of 6 sub-C NiMH cells to make a 7.2 volt supply. The best sub-C NiMH cell can hold 3000 mAh charge. It is not electrically possible to make higher than 3000 mAh NiMH pack with 6 cells connected in series. Some seller overcharge their pack to make higher capacity claim which will shorten the pack life

Comment

Inside every Heng Long full size battery case is a li-ion pack half its size. The capacity is 1800mah. Motion sells an Admiral li-ion pack that is the same size but with 3500mah capacity. If you were to remove the Heng Long case, the pack would be the same as the3500 pack. Motion also sells a full size li-ion pack that is 7200mah, fully four times the capacity over stock. If you are unfamiliar with battery characteristics, I recommend you stay with li-Ions. Whatever battery type you use, get a charger that has a balance tap function. This minimizes danger of combustion during charging.
        Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Older version of Heng Long King Tiger comes with the 6 cells NiMH battery with Tamiya connector.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	81a4uXTkCxL._AC_SX522_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	393857
          The Admiral Li-Ion 2S2P 7000mAh battery is a drop in upgrade.
          2 Cell 7.4V Li-ion 7000mAh Battery w/ Tamiya Connector from Admiral - ADM6024-015 Assembled using high quality imported Taiwanese NCR 18650 cells, this Admiral Li-ion battery is intended as an upgrade battery for Heng Long tanks and other 2s powered surface vehicles with the pre-soldered Tamiya connector. This pack's 7

Do you know what battery connector your King Tiger comes with? Most newer production HL RC tank comes with XT60 connector.

I second @SoCalBobS​ recommendation to get a good quality balance charger. Avoid Li-Io or Li-Po battery that does not have built-in protection circuit to eliminate fire hassle. I use a DC version of the SkyRC B6 mini balance charger and like it a lot. (There are a lot of B6 charger knock-off on e-bay and Amazon that looks like the SkyRC B6 but does not work the same.)

Comment

A lot of things use li-on and LiPo now, embrace the tech, learn to use it safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              A lot of things use li-on and LiPo now, embrace the tech, learn to use it safely.
              Get an intelligent balance charger. Never overcharge or completely drain your lithium battery.

1/16 scale RC tanks use low power motor and draw very little current compared to RC airplanes. Its battery is easy to manage if you get a good quality pack to begin with.

Comment

You don’t have to tell me!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  You don’t have to tell me!
                  For sure that you have more tank experience than I do. My comment is for the benefit of @aerxie​ , a new member to our forum.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. Appreciate it. I do have the xt60 in mine so I'll try the admiral 3500 or that 7000 should work with an adaptor? (Seems like the admiral 7000 was only with tamiya plug on motionrc) will def look into a good charger as well.

Comment

Originally posted by aerxie View Post
                      Thanks for all the advice guys. Appreciate it. I do have the xt60 in mine so I'll try the admiral 3500 or that 7000 should work with an adaptor? (Seems like the admiral 7000 was only with tamiya plug on motionrc) will def look into a good charger as well.
                      Read the older thread on battery that I cited in Post #3. You should be able to answer your own questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X