First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred metal track for 1/16 scale modern MBT

Originally posted by built-for-u
    Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, we are on vacation now.

This is a double pins track, and the pins are completely closed, the material is (aluminum) alloy.

Sincerely,​
    Specification?¨¬oo Item Condition: New Material: Aluminum alloy Weight: almost 2KG ID: CS-T2 The Package Includes: 1 pair track If you have any query or are not sure whether it is correct item that you want, pls feel free to ask me before purchase. These metal tracks are designed specially for 1/16 USA Abrams M1A2 RC t

My favorite metal track for modern MBT is the Tamiya hybrid original track, cheap and readily available. I saw this new track from Can Shou which sounds very appealing. I will be ordering one to see its quality. But I do not drive my tank really hard. It would be wonderful to see a review of this track by the hard driving tankers.

Bless NATO, they make the track standard for Abrams, Challenger2 and Leo2A6.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	102
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	401541

Originally posted by keilau View Post
    Specification?¨¬oo Item Condition: New Material: Aluminum alloy Weight: almost 2KG ID: CS-T2 The Package Includes: 1 pair track If you have any query or are not sure whether it is correct item that you want, pls feel free to ask me before purchase. These metal tracks are designed specially for 1/16 USA Abrams M1A2 RC t

My favorite metal track for modern MBT is the Tamiya hybrid original track, cheap and readily available. I saw this new track from Can Shou which sounds very appealing. I will be ordering one to see its quality. But I do not drive my tank really hard. It would be wonderful to see a review of this track by the hard driving tankers.

Bless NATO, they make the track standard for Abrams, Challenger2 and Leo2A6.
    It's is sold under a few other names. DKLM and Toucan sell this track under their names. I have several sets of it and have run it very very hard. It is good tough track overall. It has a few issues that may or may not be a problem for some people.

This first issue is the track guide teeth are a little short in height and as such do not hold as well against the sprocket track retaining rings as they could like taller like the Tamiya guides. So detracting at the sprockets can be more common then with Tamiya tracks.

The second issue is the rubber used on the pads. It is soft and has a high coefficient of friction when used on hard packed surfaces or concrete/asphalt. It grips so well it actually can cause the tracks to pull off the idler and road wheels in a turn on the above surfaces. Tamiya uses a harder rubber compound and this greatly reduces the coefficient of friction so the "pulling off" issue is not a big of problem.

Lastly the track is heavy and needs to be used with at least 390 motor upgrades if you want to turn with any authority.

I have largely pulled this type of tracks "out of service" as the Tamiya tracks are functionally superior in every aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

It's is sold under a few other names. DKLM and Toucan sell this track under their names. I have several sets of it and have run it very very hard. It is good tough track overall. It has a few issues that may or may not be a problem for some people.

This first issue is the track guide teeth are a little short in height and as such do not hold as well against the sprocket track retaining rings as they could like taller like the Tamiya guides. So detracting at the sprockets can be more common then with Tamiya tracks.

The second issue is the rubber used on the pads. It is soft and has a high coefficient of friction when used on hard packed surfaces or concrete/asphalt. It grips so well it actually can cause the tracks to pull off the idler and road wheels in a turn on the above surfaces. Tamiya uses a harder rubber compound and this greatly reduces the coefficient of friction so the "pulling off" issue is not a big of problem.

Lastly the track is heavy and needs to be used with at least 390 motor upgrades if you want to turn with any authority.

I have largely pulled this type of tracks "out of service" as the Tamiya tracks are functionally superior in every aspect.
      Rubicon99 , thank you for taking the time to write this long review on the track. Judging from the $400+ price of the Tamiya metal track, I am not sure how much longer the Tamiya original hybrid track will continue to be available at the current under $100 price.

I have 2 Tamiya original hybrid tracks for the Leo2 and Challenger2. I am looking for a 3rd pair for the TD M60 track upgrade. Are you interested in selling any of your "pulled out of service" tracks?

Comment

Rubicon99 , thank you for taking the time to write this long review on the track. Judging from the $400+ price of the Tamiya metal track, I am not sure how much longer the Tamiya original hybrid track will continue to be available at the current under $100 price.

I have 2 Tamiya original hybrid tracks for the Leo2 and Challenger2. I am looking for a 3rd pair for the TD M60 track upgrade. Are you interested in selling any of your "pulled out of service" tracks?
        I have stocked up on Tamiya Leopard 2 and Abrams tracks having grabbed some crazy deals on both recently from people selling off Tamiya "take off" tracks cheap. I have two relatively new sets of both types on top of the prior spares bought a year ago.

Even still my "out of service" tracks are heavily worn and look it and I am not comfortable selling them in their current condition. They are really only useful as cosmetic accessory parts for mounting on hulls and turrets as "spare" links.

Comment

I have stocked up on Tamiya Leopard 2 and Abrams tracks having grabbed some crazy deals on both recently from people selling off Tamiya "take off" tracks cheap. I have two relatively new sets of both types on top of the prior spares bought a year ago.

Even still my "out of service" tracks are heavily worn and look it and I am not comfortable selling them in their current condition. They are really only useful as cosmetic accessory parts for mounting on hulls and turrets as "spare" links.
          Fully understand. I can still get the RC original track from Tamiya US Store, but quite a bit more than from AAF store.

I may give the Can Shou track a try. Just that I am always a sucker for trying something different and the lower price is a nice bonus.

Comment

Fully understand. I can still get the RC original track from Tamiya US Store, but quite a bit more than from AAF store.

I may give the Can Shou track a try. Just that I am always a sucker for trying something different and the lower price is a nice bonus.
            This link is for Abrams Tamiya metal tracks for 133$ that seems like a good deal?
            There is no pic. I’m thinking of getting a set.

Comment

Originally posted by Handy Lance View Post

This link is for Abrams Tamiya metal tracks for 133$ that seems like a good deal?
              Yes, it is a reasonalably priced Tamiya track. I have not been able to find better price recenly. Some ebay sellers want much higher price.

For many years, I was able to get the tracks from AAF Tank Museum PX for well under $100, but AAF closed earlier last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Handy Lance View Post

It's $133 per side so $266 for a complete set.

Comment

Originally posted by tamiyausstore
                  ITEM# 8080384 RC TRACKS ASSY: 56041/36212

MSRP: $133.00
                  The description is in plural. But it may mean nothing. I will not order until getting a clarification from Tamiya US Store.​ The upgrade metal part listing seems a little more explicit. Again, ask before ordering.
                  These die-cast metal tracks for the 1/16 scale R/ C German Leopard 2 provide a heightened level of realistic movement. Each track comes with a sand blasted finish.

Comment

The description is in plural. But it may mean nothing. I will not order until getting a clarification from Tamiya US Store.​
                    I found out the hard way with the Abrams tracks. That's why I always tell people it is an expensive option and direct them towards Leopard 2 tracks which used to be sold as a set for around $100.

Comment

I believe you

I have Tamiya cars

Comment

I inquired about these at Tamiya back in 2021 and this is what I was told, hence I went ahead and bought the Leo ones from AAF per Rubicon's suggestion:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	48
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	401638

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post
                          I inquired about these at Tamiya back in 2021 and this is what I was told, hence I went ahead and bought the Leo ones from AAF per Rubicon's suggestion:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	8 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	401638
                          I missed the AAF Tank Museum PX Shop. The ladies there, Natasha and Karen, were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable too. In the early 2000, the Danville, VA RC tank battle ground was the biggest on this side of Atlanta. Lacking a reasonable price source, it is unlikely for me to acquire more Tamiya tracks. The $80 Metal Tracks W/ Fixed Rubber​ is my low cost option.

Comment

Working...
                          X