X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamiya 1:14 King Hauler

Tamiya 1:14 King Hauler, This is my latest build. Next up is a Tamiya flat bed trailer.

Nice looking truck.

Comment

Looks great! Do you have some photos of the final looks?

Comment

Rudinater your king hauler is looking good. I like the 2 tone paint scheme. I’m doing mine in single tone metallic blue. I see you have lights, did you use the tamiya MFC 01 kit?

Comment

Here we go! I finally finished. It took awhile but I’m happy with the outcome. This is the king hauler kit with the MFC-01 light and sound kit and ball bearings upgrade.

Comment

Baysim80 I really like that blue! What color is it? Tamiya TS-55?

Please post more photos of this beauty out in the world.
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Alpha that is actually Rust-oleum “metallic”. Cobalt blue metallic. Topped with a Rust-oleum clear lacquer finish to give it a higher level of protection.

I will post more picks as soon as I get her in the real world. Tried today but got rained out.

Comment

I love this truck. The windows I tinted dark since I installed the MFC-01, not really any room for cab details with the speaker and controller installed. I’m impressed with the MFC-01 as this includes the ESC for the motor. What I like is it’s a lot like a crawler ESC and has a nice breaking function so when on a hill you can slow it down. I’m sure MRC will start carrying this soon as this adds a whole new level of realism to this rig. The lights are very scale and very beautiful. The sound is amazing and I really like the shaker function too, it’s really cool. All that is part of the MFC-01 kit. The more I drive it the more I like it. It’s really smooth and much faster then I expected. Can’t wait to get my box trailer finished up and hooked up. Driving takes a bit of getting used to on a stick radio especially with the 3 speed tranny. But it works very well and I’m getting myself trained. Took a sunset drive and thought I’d share. Enjoy the pics.

Comment

I feel the call... the call... to haul!

Baysim80 What was your approximate build time from start to finish?

I just messaged our Purchasing team to bring in the MFC-01. Thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming!

Comment

Alpha Im kinda slow and really read the instructions. Including the electronics install it took me about 20hr total. That’s paint time and assembly. I received it August 2 and started running it August 19. I did have a couple days in there that I started work on the box trailer while I was waiting for my “fast eddy” ball bearings to come in.
                    side note: you might want to stock the tamiya 4ch radio for these things too. “Attack 4YWD-2.4G” seams to be a nice radio and feels good for this setup. That would let someone get everything they need to get rolling in one stop. Maybe even offer a brushed crawler speed controller if they don’t want the MFC-01. Stocking a MFC-03 also for the E.U. Rigs like the MAN and Scania would be nice. This is only my first truck. I will be adding more to my collection. I appreciate you listening to our feedback!

Comment

Baysim80, nice job and good colour choice! These trucks are Tonnes of fun aren’t they. I bought the Scania as my first truck a couple of months back and it was the most fun RC I’ve built yet.

Have you already bought the trailer or is that yet to come? Just go easy on the speed so you can keep that beautiful paint job scratch free! Please post a pic when you get your trailer done.

Happy trucking!
                      Kurt

Comment

I'm still on the fence about which truck to get. I wanted the Grand Hauler Black, but it sold out quickly and we're still waiting for a restock. I'll either wait for the Mercedes Arocs to arrive, or jump into the Ford Aeromax sooner. Or a Globe Liner... too many choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                          I feel the call... the call... to haul!

Baysim80 What was your approximate build time from start to finish?
                          The "build time" can be quick. A few hours a night and it can be running in a week. The slow part is the painting. These trucks look good with a simple one color spray job, which can be quick and easy. Or you can do more complex stuff like removing the antenna hole in the top of the sleeper, filling in the old sound control holes on the back top of the sleeper and filling the lines around the roof insert. Then you can do multi color paint jobs and use 1/16 auto pin stripping to add accents. Then you can always paint the frame as well. But again a "simple" one color paint job with all the chrome parts looks really sharp

Comment

Beetlemankurt I do have the box trailer and I am waiting on the arrival of another can of paint. I ran out! So as soon as I get it finished up I’ll post some pics. You should post some pics of your scania. I would love to see it.
                            Alpha too many choices is a good thing. I’m really thinking hard about the Mercedes acros dump truck. But I need some accessories like the electric actuator
                            ITEM# 56545. After driving my king hauler on my dirt road it handles the hills and loose ground much better then my huina. If I lock the diffs then I think it would be the dump truck I’m looking for in my price range.

Comment

Hey Baysim80, Your box trailer sounds cool. I was surprised too when I painted my container trailer use just how much paint you go through. Also surprised that the trailer took almost as long as the truck to build.....how hard can it be I thought! Seems like I may not be alone in that.....ha ha.

I’ve got a few pics over on the Scania thread if you want to check them out. when I got mine, my local hobby store contacted me to say that they only had a pre-painted version left. I grabbed it thinking that I could paint over the blue if needed but.....the factory finish is so stunning and the TS55 is a really nice colour so I left it as is .......When they say pre painted, there’s actually still a whole heap of painting to do all over the rest of the truck, it’s just the cab/side skirts.

Quite pleased I went that route in the end as spray painting in the middle of winter and expecting a great paint job is not always realistic. I did however, go with colour matching the trailer rails etc to the truck a month or so later just to be different currently waiting on my sound system, some scale aerials and a light set to turn up....fun times! Didn’t go with the MFC as it is a bit expensive on the NZ dollar and went with the Lesu 3T sound unit.

I’ve got my eye on the Merc dump truck too. Nice looking rig and looks like it’d be a lot of fun and quite a different driving experience to these longer rigs. In saying that, I’m also weighing up the King Hauler and would love to turn it into a W model Kenworth. I spent a bit of time in a friend of the family’s KW as a youngster hauling logs out of the forest which was great fun. If you google Mike Lambert NZ Early logging days you’ll get an idea of the cool red, white and black colour scheme which is typical of many of the trucks around my area here.

Would love to see a vid of your King Hauler in action if you get the chance. I think you’ve done a stunning job .

Alpha, don’t sweat the choice too much......you know that they will multiply anyway.....just Iike planes!

cheers
                              Kurt

Comment

Beetlemankurt inspired me by asking if I was going to do lights on my trailer. I was skeptical because the kit is pricey for what you get IMO ( tail lights and blinker). However I wanted to take it a step further for greater realism. So I decided to custom install marker lights as a stand alone lighting system for simplicity. I love the way it turned out. If you look at the pics notice how nicely the LEDs blend with the stock, marker stickers so that when the lights are off it still looks very scale. Since this turned out, it forced my hand to get the tamiya trailer light kit to complete the scale details. It will be installed soon and I’ll follow up with some real world pics with it hooked up to my King Hauler.
                                Box trailer is nearly complete!

Comment

Baysim80 Are those SMD LEDs? Whatever they are, they look great, especially how they "blend" into the marker stickers, as you said.

For cargo, have Callie make a decal set of Freewing tape for 1/14 scale airplane boxes

Comment

Alpha those are “Edgelec” 3mm Orange 12v LEDs. Works on 2 or 3s lipo Direct connection.
                                    BTW I have no self control, so if you notice the Arocs dump truck out of stock on MRC, that’s my fault! I really need a good dump truck and I’m hoping this fits the bill. Ha ha I said “need”, should be “want”.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9FD418BC-4D96-460F-9E38-E361EF1CD169.jpeg
Views:	1630
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	270773 It’s complete!! And B-E-A-utiful IMO. Ready for the sidewalk highway, man is this thing fun to drive too!! I love it. Sorry if this is too many pics but I just can help it. I hope this inspires others to join in this incredible aspect of the hobby.

Comment

Baysim80 Oh man, that is completely awesome! I love the marker lights and really like the pic in the dark showing the high beam of the headlights on the footpath/sidewalk.
                                        That box trailer just looks so right at home on the back of your KH mate. Sorry to lead you astray in regards to the trailer lights .....looks like it was well worth it though!
                                        If people aren’t inspired by that, they better do a bit of pulse checking .....make sure they are still alive..Theres just something cool about these trucks and they offer such a different RC experience to anything else. Definitely addictive!

I missed your post last night as I was busy putting in the sound system into my Scania and some scale aerials on.........almost there with it, lots of wire tidying to do.

You’ve just made it MUCH more likely my next truck will be a KH. Glad u snapped up a Mercedes too...build thread please!

BTW no such thing as too many pictures....

Come on Alpha!, about time you joined our convoy too!........

Cheers Kurt

Comment

Working...
                                        X