Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbers are in and it’s official, this thing is fast. I did three passes in both directions on smooth pavement and my gps gave me these numbers.
    1st gear: 5.1MPH = 71.4 scale mph.
    2nd gear: 8.0 MPH = 112.0 scale mph
    3rd gear: 11.2 MPH = 156.8 scale mph
    that’s with the box trailer on. This thing should really have a “smokey and the bandit” paint scheme!!
    It’s great that in 2nd or 3rd gear if you let off the throttle fast you get a brrrrttt of the Jacobs engine break. So cool!

The Arocs Tipper truck is slower as suspected but still no slouch, so jump over to that post to see those numbers.

Comment

Sorry I just saw I never answered your first questions. Yes I used the Tamiya light and sound system in my truck. You can find it on e-bay and amazon for under $300 but it will take 3-4 weeks to get it. It works and it's easy to install. That said I will not buy another one. I have been working on a DIY sound and light controller card. You can choose several different truck engine sounds. It even does car, truck, airplane, tank, and a train sounds. Buying the parts in lots of 5 or 10 you can get everything for about $140 (yes that's will get you 10 cards) and then you need to build your LED wire set up. Again very cheap. More information on the sound card can be found on you tube, search for "TheDIYGuy999" Where are you in CO?

Comment

Rudinater I am in Colorado Springs. I will definitely check out that DIYguy. I know that MFC unit is pricey but if it lasts it will be worth it. There are several features that I absolutely love about it with the shaker unit running in unison with the RPM and the jake brake sound when you let off the throttle fast, the coupling and uncoupling sounds as well as during idle getting the air release sound. It’s like music to my ears. But I’m really curious to see what can be done with that diy unit. Do you have a trailer yet for your king hauler?

Comment

The DIY board has every one of those features. Plus the ability to select either of the following engine sounds;

- CAT 3408 V8 Diesel
          - Detroit Diesel
          - Kenworth W900
          - International DT-466
          - Scania V8
          - Scania R500 V8
          - MB Actros V8
          - many more for cars, crawlers, airplanes and even airplanes.

Several different horns to chose from

The ability to turn off the turn signal tick tock sound. :-)

Different shaker settings

Works with PPM, PWR, Sbus Receiver interfaces.

Comment

Colorado Springs - Cool any other truck owners in the area? I was just looking at homes in Colorado Springs. I looking at Boise but there are very few homes for sale in Boise. Colorado Springs would be another option if Boise does not work out.

Comment

No other truck owners that I’ve come across in the area. But I am getting a couple friends interested in the construction end of it and they are looking at the excavator so I’m hopeful.

Comment

I can’t help myself! I broke down and got the motorized support legs. I just love all the accessories you can get for these semis and trailers! Again this would be easier to install when doing the initial build on the truck and the trailer but the disassembly and reassembly isn’t terrible. This install requires another servo on the semi (not included in the kit) and some modifications to the fifth wheel. Since I had already installed the MFC-01 and the special fifth wheel that came with that kit I returned to those MFC instructions and it told me what parts from the motorized legs kit to install on that same fifth wheel. Easy enough. Now like all of tamiya’s kits this is truly a full kit build accessory. Take a look at the photos and you’ll see what I mean. The gear box and battery boxes all have to be assembled and wired. Now the kit doesn’t say to solder anything and it shows you how to put it together without soldering but I highly recommend soldering your wiring to assure good conductivity. (MRC has a couple really nice soldering station options available at an excellent price).
                I’m only at about the midpoint on this kit install so I will post more upon completion and testing.

As a side note I have the trailer light kit installed and that connection wire hangs down and is in the way for hookup and even disconnect so I included some picks of a fix I’m going to try, to secure it out of the way, for when I’m hitching and unhitching my trailer.

Comment

Nice! I’m thinking of this as well. Looks like too much fun to resist, but.......I’ve just ordered some Aluminium wheels, gearbox cover and oil lines so need to get all of that sorted first...upgrades are fun!

looking forward to seeing this installed on your rig and hopefully (hint hint) a video of this in action!

catch ya
                  Kurt

Comment

It’s been awhile but I’ve been working on my excavator and wheel loader as well as building my new Flatbed trailer with lights and motorized legs!!! I’m super happy with the operation of the support legs so I had to get them for the flatbed too. Checkout the mod I did to hold the battery for the marker lights. It’s a trailer tool box using spare parts from my king hauler build. Yes the bed is a little shiny but I wanted the wood to be well sealed so it will last longer. Almost complete so pics coming soon of it lit up on the back of my king hauler!

Comment

That looks really awesome Baysim80. I will be anxiously waiting for the completed pics

Comment

I took my sweet time on this little trailer but man was it worth it!
                        Here are some pics with the lights all on. Battery Stowed away in the trailer tool box. This has the tamiya trailer light kit as well as the tamiya electric leg set and the rest of the lights are custom install. I absolutely love having that electric leg set as it makes hooking up and disconnecting so much nicer! It’s pretty neat running a shorter trailer behind the King Hauler. Enjoy the pics of the lights and see if you can notice another mod I did to make this trailer more convertible. I’ll post more on that later. Driving at night is so much fun even if it’s 34F outside. I’ll also do some comparison pics with the box trailer so you guys can get an idea of the size difference.

Keep the trucking fun sized!

Comment

Baysim80 Outstanding, Sir. Best, LB
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Looks awesome Baysim80! Love the nightime pics.

cheers
                            Kurt

Comment

Convertible it is!
                              I can go from plain flat bed to added rails and chains for pipe or log loads etc. as you can see in the pics I can add these with or without the widening blocks. To accomplish this feat all you have to do is secure your nuts to the frame before you lay the deck boards. I secured my rails to the headache rack using small magnets that are also secured so they don’t come off when I remove the rails. The chain will stow in a second toolbox that I do not have yet. It’s coming though!

Comment

Alpha I noticed all the big rigs are sold out! That’s awesome but at the same time a bummer. I was eyeballing that globe liner. I’ll be waiting patiently for the next shipment. I noticed MRC has the goodies in stock for these as well like the MFC units and motorized trailer legs. That’s fantastic! If any of you out there have any of the trailers and a rig I highly recommend the motorized trailer legs. It makes disconnection and hooking up soooo much easier and way more fun! Enough of keeping this flatbed clean and pretty. Time to go to work. First loads are timber. Love it and the way it looks especially with the load chained down!! Looks good coupled to that king hauler!

Comment

Great photos IMO. Amazing detail! To take them to an even higher level of realism, I would suggest shooting at ground level? Try resting the camera on the ground, or holding it slightly above the ground ... to capture the subject at a height that mimics a six foot tall person shooting a real truck.

Comment

Here are those comparisons so you guys can see the difference in size on the different trailers. The smallest is an Rc4wd offering and the other two are tamiya. The equipment trailer is great for toting around the excavator using the Merc. I really like them all but I can tell that the flatbed is going to get a lot of use.

Comment

King Hauler modifications. ( I’d call them upgrades but that all depends on preference.) I installed 2 CB antennas (tamiya) added a stainless window guard on the hood (Lesu) and replaced the stock visor with an aftermarket stainless visor. (Lesu). I made a UHF antennae that’s mounted to the sleeper. I posted 4 before pics and several after pics. Doing detail work like this even after they are built is what really makes this hobby so much fun. Keep tinkering! Please enjoy.

Man I love this hobby!
                                      Trucks are so cool!!!

Comment

Looks great! Nice upgrades. I agree, adding the bits and personalising them is a huge (and never ending) part of the fun.

Awesome stuff!

Kurt

Comment

Here is the latest modification. Metal rock guards Vs the chrome plated plastic. Something about the metal just looks more scale to me. Not quite as shiny but really grabs my eye. The fit seams a bit better as well. Very pleased. Note: you might notice the Peterbuilt engraving on the new metal ones, as this is a nice touch it is a little out of place on my Kenworth. I cannot seam to find Kenworth logos or emblems or anything. If anyone has found a source for these to add to my tamiya please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                          X