X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roban 600 Airwolf build

So I’ve started my build and thought I would document it (the best I document which isn’t saying much).

the build is going to have:
    Roban 600 Airwolf kit
    T-Rex 600N pro
    trex FBL conversion kit
    new align servos DS615
    scorpion 4025 740kv motor
    4025 5mm motor shaft
    microbesst plus
    castle creations Talon HV120 esc
    FrSky 6ch rx
    CNC motor mount kit (custom)
    Old Greatplanes 5mm prop adapter.

i just finished printing out the first mockup for the motor mount kit. I had to make some minor adjustments and plan to print the next set tonight. If all goes good the files will be sent to the CNC guy next week.

if all goes good first spool up if converted mechanics will be in two weeks or sooner.

my Airwolf kit arrives Monday. I will start on that while I get the mechanics all worked out.

i will update as things happen and complete.

Gravy
    Attached Files

Those nitro 600 conversion to electric work great for a scale turbine spool up, can't wait to see the Airwolf with that setup in it, should work great.

Comment

Fedex update.
      Airwolf will be here today.

Comment

Woohoo, your the scale heli pilot now, bet you wish you have never met me.

Comment

Not so much me but wife on other hand. Let’s just say I bet your not getting Malaysian cookies for Christmas.

gravy

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
            Not so much me but wife on other hand. Let’s just say I bet your not getting Malaysian cookies for Christmas.

gravy

Comment

Fuse showed up. She a beauty.

Gravy
              Attached Files

Comment

So does that gas to electric adapter almost act like a clutch? I mean I know its not a clutch... but hmmmm....

Comment

I like it better than the Funkey one, that front part coming off like that is so much better than the Funkey, where just the top of the doghouse came off, I forgot the Roban one was like that.

Comment

Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
                    So does that gas to electric adapter almost act like a clutch? I mean I know its not a clutch... but hmmmm....
                    Yes, it's the actual clutch from a Trex 600N mounted to a prop adapter, works great and the spool up is so much more scale, Gravy will explain to you.

Comment

No but the adapter allows me to use the clutch. I'm still using the clutch, the shoe and the fan mount. The fan mount mounts to the Electric motor using a prop adapter, Then I use the new motor mount to mount it all into the frame.

Hope that helps

Gravy

Comment

Hmmm definitely would like to see a picture of all that mounted together...

Comment

I’ll be posting pics as the build goes. Hopefully all goes well next week I’ll have the mounts.

Gravy

Comment

Here is am image of the motor mount parts I going to have cnc'd.

Gravy
                            Attached Files

Comment

I’ll print the right side tomorrow. But so far the left side is perfect. If the right is good then next week I’ll hopefully meet with the CNC guy and give home my STL’s. Cross fingers all will be done and ready for test flight next weekend.

Gravy
                              Attached Files

Comment

Well proof prints are done and I’m 100% satisfied. Next off to get them CNCed.

Gravy
                                Attached Files

Comment

Started the gear assemble. The instructions are missing a few things and steps. Like the aluminum bushings that going in the winglet for the gear rods. For future builders there is a short one and a long one. They both get put in from inside the wells. So the short one goes in and towards the outside and the long one goes towards the inside.

Gravy

Comment

I’m having issues getting my parts made. I was going to have one of the machinist students make it for (pay him of corse, nothings free) but because of COVID all student found jobs until school is back to class. So I’m talking to a guy that owns his own shop. Crossing my fingers he will do it.
                                    When I get the parts I can finish setting up the mechanics and fly them.

im changing up the retracts servo. I’m putting the servo where the throttle servo goes in the frame. I will then do a downward arm to a servo horn mounted on the frame which will then transfer the vertical control rod movement to a horizontal control arm, which will connect to the front retract rod horn.

i also figured out how I’m going to make my battery tray which will be attached to the 600n frame.

I really hope to finish this build in the next couple weeks.

Gravy
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Got motor mount pieces today. Did a first test fit. Did find something I will change if I have another set made. The mount cost me $85 to have made. All three pieces are made from 6061. Also has my battery try made. That cost me a12 pack of 805.

i have to pick my son up this weekend. So since he’ll be back home and back to school, my progress will get a little slower. But I hope to have this test flying in a couple weeks.

Gravy
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Got a first spool up and flight on my mechanics today. Still need to tune up my helicopter a little more before she goes into the body. But she getting close.
                                        here is a video of the spool up.

gravy

Comment

Working...
                                        X