X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
    From experience I’ve learned it’s much easier to iron out any mechanics mounting issues early, so I assembled the Chaos frame and added the gears and swash to reveal any clearance issues inside the fuselage. There were none, with the exception of the necessity to remove the pushrod swing arm from the bottom of the gearbox before sliding the mechanics back. There’s plenty of room to reinstall it and reconnect the ball ends once in place, it’s just that the ply tail wheel support structure impinges on the swing arm if left in place during install. Click image for larger version

Name:	E74F487C-A650-4B25-A689-741D77D5D263.jpeg
Views:	904
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	313249Click image for larger version

Name:	5957D4CB-4DE3-4093-90D1-70DE15CA9FB1.jpeg
Views:	882
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	313250Click image for larger version

Name:	493319C3-B689-4638-B257-38C9BF097FF1.jpeg
Views:	879
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	313251
    Did you find those spacers in your parts bag??

Comment

No sir. They weren’t included. Also, the kit has mounting points and red lenses for 3 beacons but no lighting kit either. Didn’t expect the lights as my other conversion helis didn’t include them.

Comment

No sir. They weren’t included. Also, the kit has mounting points and red lenses for 3 beacons but no lighting kit either. Didn’t expect the lights as my other conversion helis didn’t include them.
        Oh ok, I can send you these for free of course, not using them at the moment, or you can order the UH-1 hardware bag, there are only two though in my pkg which is a UH-1 hardware bag that I ordered when I built my Bell 212, let me know and I will get them in the mail this week, I'm on vacation this week.

Comment

Thanks, DC! I appreciate the offer but once I’m set up to make 2 just as easy to make 4. I see a 600 drop frame heli in your future and prob won’t have those spacers included either. I know this because I have ESPN.

Comment

Thanks, DC! I appreciate the offer but once I’m set up to make 2 just as easy to make 4. I see a 600 drop frame heli in your future and prob won’t have those spacers included either. I know this because I have ESPN.
            Okay, just let me know if you change your mind, I will get them in the mail ASAP. I really want the 700 Apache but maybe your right, a 600 UH-1 or Lakota or another Bell 212 will have to do,

Comment

Changed my mind and ordered 2 UH-1 hardware bags. Thanks for the heads up..😀

Comment

The optional cockpit kit is very nice and an easy install in the big fuselage. The included pilots, however, are not, so I will decide later if I want to hunt 1/10 scale figures or just leave the seats empty. The windows are typical Roban quality and fit their openings well. I used Gravy’s carpet tape trick for the chin windows, which worked great. I used hot glue for the other windows and for the cockpit install. Holds good and easy to remove if needed. NOTE: All Roban kits that have DIY install windows have a thin plastic film on both sides of the part that peels off nicely. Easy to miss if didn’t know it was there.

Comment

The optional cockpit kit is very nice and an easy install in the big fuselage. The included pilots, however, are not, so I will decide later if I want to hunt 1/10 scale figures or just leave the seats empty. The windows are typical Roban quality and fit their openings well. I used Gravy’s carpet tape trick for the chin windows, which worked great. I used hot glue for the other windows and for the cockpit install. Holds good and easy to remove if needed. NOTE: All Roban kits that have DIY install windows have a thin plastic film on both sides of the part that peels off nicely. Easy to miss if didn’t know it was there.
                  I know about the windows now, I remember when I built my first Roban kit, the G-Jive Hughes 500 I think it was, didn't know about the plastic film on the windows until I tried to clean them and glue them in.............

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1F502290-7F62-41BF-8106-5C8D7BC726EC.jpeg
Views:	393
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	313624 As mentioned previously, the tail cone needs reinforcement IMO so tackled that today. I cut a piece of 2mm x 12mm carbon fiber bar to extend from the face of the ply tail gear support structure to the rear edge of the factory installed CF strip at the front of the tail cone. My strip is 6-3/4”. Once epoxied in place the tail gear loads are better transmitted along the reinforced skin forward to the fuselage. NOTE: Builder may choose to drill a few holes in the CF bar to improve bonding but I did not want to increase the flexibility of the CF so left mine solid.

Comment

In the previous photo note that the plywood-to- FG joints were dry and gapped in places. For this I mixed up a batch of epoxy and milled fiberglass to a peanut butter consistency and filled the gaps while forming a fillet to the tail cone skin. I also built up a fillet around the CF-to-plywood joint to lock them together. NOTE: Milled fiberglass is essential in my shop. Unlike microballoons, which work to make epoxy sandible by adding air voids, milled fiberglass makes the epoxy stronger while increasing viscosity for easy fillets. Click image for larger version

Name:	AD198E39-1AA1-4F50-AD2F-395BED984BD1.jpeg
Views:	378
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	313628Click image for larger version

Name:	CFC2B1B0-2DD3-4FC2-AF99-363995C19241.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	313629

Comment

As tempting as it is to add mounting blocks and blind nuts (not included in kit) inside the fuselage for a removable tail I determined earlier that the mechanics are an easy install as designed...tailcone bonded to the fuselage. Better pilots than me may decide to do that, but as the tail wheel landing stresses are transmitted to the thin skin forward to the fuselage the weak point is that mating joint sheer line. Once properly bonded together as a unit those stresses are mitigated. Since mounting screws are loaded in compression the stress risers would be the screw holes themselves, which could be mitigated by adding more screws. NOTE: I know I can’t make this thing bulletproof but if you saw me fly I think you would agree I should try. 😅 Click image for larger version

Name:	59A3BC07-202B-4A12-B997-2E166BF8136A.jpeg
Views:	402
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	313639

Comment

Well, back to square one on the bearing block frame spacers. The picture MRC shows for the UH-1N hardware kit does show the frame spacers and is obviously a complete package. What I received was a small bag of screws only with 4 aluminum frame mounting brackets. I’ll start a support ticket with MRC but I seriously doubt they will have them. Another issue I’m investigating is what Roban intended for the tail drive transmission top bearing. The longer replacement shaft in the kit is cut to fit the existing lower bearing but is not cut for the top bearing, leaving that point unsupported. The included lower shaft bearing block may be intended to provide that support but won’t know until the spacer issue is sorted out. 😤

Comment

Well, back to square one on the bearing block frame spacers. The picture MRC shows for the UH-1N hardware kit does show the frame spacers and is obviously a complete package. What I received was a small bag of screws only with 4 aluminum frame mounting brackets. I’ll start a support ticket with MRC but I seriously doubt they will have them. Another issue I’m investigating is what Roban intended for the tail drive transmission top bearing. The longer replacement shaft in the kit is cut to fit the existing lower bearing but is not cut for the top bearing, leaving that point unsupported. The included lower shaft bearing block may be intended to provide that support but won’t know until the spacer issue is sorted out. 😤
                            Well shoot, don't make sense, the bag I ordered last year had the spacers, screws, mounting brackets and two collar spacers as well, so I can understand that, maybe call Ed at RC Aerodyne/Scaleflying.com and see what he says, I only have two spacers in my bag as you can see in the picture, does it require 2 or 4??? I didn't use mine because I used the older Align ESP mechanics and didn't need them at the time. If my two will work for you I will send them to you, I really want to do a 700 Cobra next but not sure yet and if I do another 600 then I will use an older Align ESP if I can find one.

Comment

I created a support ticket at MRC but will call Ed on Monday. Yeah, the photo is deceptive on MRC website. It does show the spacers so I ordered 2 bags for the 4 spacers I need. Part # on the screw bag I received matches the part # on the website...just the photo is wrong. If MRC or Ed can’t help then I will set up to mill some aluminum and it won’t be harder to cut 4 than 2, so thanks again for the offer. Did your parts bag include a single bearing that might be intended to replace the one on top of the tail drive transmission?

Comment

Ok, this is everything I got when I ordered my extra bag, I do believe I used my first spacers on my Bell 212 for the elevator servo or something, I can't find them anywhere and think I used them for something else, but I ordered this extra bag for the rear mounting blocks and screws, that was all I needed at the time, but I came up with another idea and didn't use any of the parts after all, here is a picture of exactly what I got in my bag, so you are missing a few parts sounds like.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Do you need the spacers to make some? I can send you these two for measuring, if you do make some I can always hit you up if I decide to build a UH-1 or a kit that requires them, I'm not liking the customer service we are getting supporting Roban helis and parts and out of stock products, I'm not sure if I will even build another Roban kit right now, so I would rather let someone else have these spacers, message me your address and I will send them to you.

Comment

My bag had the screws and the L brackets only, no wood blocks, spacers, collars, or torque support. Same exact part # as yours. I am reserving my judgement of MRC until I see how they handle this issue. One thing is certain: they should reconsider their advertising policy that currently touts these drop frame 600 helicopters as a direct fit for Chaos and PhoenixTech 600 mechanics when obviously they are not, and audit their website for description inaccuracies such as the photo for this hardware kit.

Comment

Ed called yesterday and told me MRC has contacted Roban re this ongoing problem with incomplete conversion kits, specifically absent frame spacers in kits that include replacement “drop” frames. Roban is to expedite shipping of spacers to MRC so I should be back in business next week. 😁

Comment

Ed called yesterday and told me MRC has contacted Roban re this ongoing problem with incomplete conversion kits, specifically absent frame spacers in kits that include replacement “drop” frames. Roban is to expedite shipping of spacers to MRC so I should be back in business next week. 😁
                                        Glad to hear that they are taking care of it. I had the same issue with my 600 UH-1N and they were quick to send new parts as well.

Comment

I decided on a final lighting scheme and installed a GT Power kit. Finished everything inside the tail cone and bonded it to the forward fuselage. Feels nice and solid with the CF strip I added. Still waiting on Roban/MRC to send the 4 bearing block spacers I need to finish the Chaos mechanics so will update my progress later.

Comment

Working...
                                          X