Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vivitar Drone replacement LiPo batteries

HELP!

I own a Vivitar drone, model DRCLS16-NOC.

The battery that came with my drone package will not charge. As a fixed wing RC pilot, I'm very familiar with LiPo batteries.

I called the 1-800-592-9541 help line and contacted www.vivitar.com to purchase a replacement battery. Zero help. Replacement batteries are out there but I don't know where.

I'm at my wits end to find a source for replacement batteries!

Can anybody please give me some direction in this frustrating matter?

This should not be such an impossible task. Does your old battery have any markings on it? If not, does you manual have any specs for the battery? You can weigh it and see what it weighs. You can measure it and know what the dimensions are. You should know how many cells it has (3, 4, 5, 6?). You should also be able to see what "C" rating the old battery is. You should also know what mah it is. You should also clearly see what kind of connector it has and be able to make or find an adapter if one is needed.
    Now, armed with all this information, go on the internet and look at as many companies as you can and see if they have a battery that is close to the specs you now know. Start with well known shops - SMC, HobbyKing, ChinaHobbyLine, MotionRC. Even give Amazon a shot.
    As for your old battery not charging. Is it really old? Does it have a lot of duty cycles on it? If it's not too old and it hasn't been run too many times, that should tell you that you're draining it way too far. IE, flying it way too long, not using a timer for your flight or not paying attention to the telemetry data about the battery's condition.

Comment

Oh, xviper if only it were that easy! Take a look at my photos of this rascal. I've tried any number of websites to include what you suggested.
      For whatever reason my battery will not charge.
      Anyone else out there have this same Vivitar drone? If so, where can I purchase replacement batteries and other parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Spurr View Post
        Oh, xviper if only it were that easy! Take a look at my photos of this rascal. I've tried any number of websites to include what you suggested.
        Anyone else out there have this same Vivitar drone? If so, where can I purchase replacement batteries and other parts?
        I fully understand now what you are dealing with. I'm so sorry for getting your hopes up. I also have an Eflite QX350 and it takes a "normal" LiPo battery with an EC3 connector. That is a very proprietary battery. Not unlike the one for my DJI Mini 2. Have you tried to clean the contacts and pins with a dry fine brush? Also, can you check to see if the charger is actually putting out a charge. Perhaps the charger is dead? Since it's a LiPo battery, if it was somehow drained below 3V/cell, it may never come back.
        Here is my DJI battery. Notice that the size is very close to yours and it also has 6 pins that couple with the drone. It's 7.7V/2250mah. You even turn off the power in the same way. Perhaps you could look into possibly adapting it to yours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4356.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	361392

Comment

Vivitar got my money. For the time being I will set this drone system aside until replacement batteries are available.

Xviper, I have smashing idea!

Can you give me contact information for a few vendors of quality drones with reliable support for batteries, props and anything else that may require replacement? I don't care where these vendors are located (prefer not to deal with Russian vendors.)

You might be thinking ... what do I want to do with my drone? Just be able to fly further around the desert using FPV than I can with my RC aircraft. Just have fun exploring. If I start to fly beyond my RF signal range, I want the drone to come back to me and hover.

Comment

I'm in Canada, so where I buy my drones is not really that handy for you. Try a DJI seller in your area. Also, I bought my DJI from Costco. Parts supply is not that good with Costco. Although DJI is one of the top tier drone products, they are expensive and also very proprietary. Even Eflite drones tend to go "discontinued" very quickly. You are better off to Google drone dealers in your country and sift through the results and screen the good ones. The drone industry is so huge, with so many sellers and brands, it's hard to tell which one will stick around for very long. Amazon is a good place to search for bits and pieces but they also sell some pretty obscure brands is you're looking for complete drones.
            PS. You might be better off building your own drone using readily available components from your local hobby shops.

Comment

I think if you can solder and confident in your mechanical skills, you could disassemble the back and see how it's in there and what you could come up with.
              AMA 424553

Comment

RRHandy,
                Only LiPo batteries I'm familiar with are used with RC aircraft. Positive and negative plus battery balancing connection. Vivitar LiPo battery has multiple connections and I'm not sure which is which. As a former US Air Force electronics/RADAR technician I have some relevant knowledge and soldering skills. But this is a whole different critter for me.

Comment

I'm thinking about a RUKO model F11GIM2 drone.

My reasons:
                  • Replacement parts available
                  • Comes with several batteries and replacement props
                  • Good reviews
                  • Lots of smart features for a new drone pilot
                  • Long range
                  • Good quality camera
                  • Returns to me when battery low
                  So, what do xviper and RRHandy think?

Comment

I've never heard of Roku but that's just me. I'm not really into drones. I have a couple only because I wanted an aerial video platform for the occasional use. The Eflite QX was my first and the DJI came along only because I wanted a "smart" quad with a 4K camera. I now fly the QX like an airplane and join the other planes in their flight pattern just to get some use out of it.
                    If you are going to replace the Vivitar mainly because your battery is dead, why not take it apart and see what's inside and how it's wired? You might be able to figure out how to make it work or get a replacement battery and make it work based on what you find inside. If that fails, you've lost nothing and then you can get the new one. If you really want the Roku, then put the Vivitar out of your mind and just go for it.

Comment

Well, no one has screeched, "AVOID ANYTHING ROKU!" I take that as a good sign. More to follow.

Comment

It's hard to say that when I've never heard of them. Well, I know of Roku, the video streaming platform.
                        Personally, I think DJI is the one to go for. They make so many really good models of drones and they're likely to be around for a while.

Comment

RRHandy,
                          Only LiPo batteries I'm familiar with are used with RC aircraft. Positive and negative plus battery balancing connection. Vivitar LiPo battery has multiple connections and I'm not sure which is which. As a former US Air Force electronics/RADAR technician I have some relevant knowledge and soldering skills. But this is a whole different critter for me.
                          I too was in the Airforce, Worked on 141B's. If you would post up pics. As for choice of drones I have two and just play around with them, I never went past that, for our field owner would not let us fly till recently so no say as to the Roku.

Happy Thanksgiving.
                          AMA 424553

Comment

Well, for better or not, just purchased a RUKO F11GIM2 drone.

Great Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends.

Comment

Working...
                            X