X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Generally I use 150 grit, and do a final polish with 320 before painting. I use these foam sanding sticks that I've been purchasing at the Toledo RC show for the past several years. I don't know who makes them.
    My sweetie has been getting me these for a couple years now. You don't need to pay show prices for them........they're avail @ CVS or RiteAid ;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I use 3M Patch Plus Primer. It's a lightweight spackle with primer in it.
      It's readily available at Lowes and is pretty cheap. As it gets older, just add a little denatured alcohol to it. Done.

I use 220 for initial sanding. Then prime sand prime ...using 320 grit until she is ready for paint.

I recently refinished an F-104 using this 3M stuff. The area around the lights was re-built this way. Also the top of the fuse was all torn up from the original stickers. It also got a good coat of spackle.
      If you take your time, you can smooth out wrinkles and crash damage pretty easily. So much so that people will not believe you crashed it. I did this on the nose of the A-4 a while back after a hard landing in the high grass. Took the wrinkles right out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_193912.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	106477Click image for larger version

Name:	20171128_154324.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	106478
      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
        My first tub of it was great. Dried well and was easy to sand. My second tub was not the same. More like what you are describing. I have since started using Hobbico HobbyLite balsa filler instead.
        Got the hobbico in this afternoon, already applied and sanded my jet, stuff worked amazing thanks for the input!

Comment

I think I've discovered something to fill large holes in a foamy. I've been using Alumilite 320 casting foam to cast my own pilots. It just dawned on me that this stuff might be great for filling large holes. It expands 20 times its liquid volume is extremely light and can be carved and sanded. Haven't tried it yet. Doc

Comment

I used the foam filler on my Dynam Hellcat and I was very pleased with results. I have a great planes sander and various grades of sandpaper and did some sanding and paint touchup and it looks great.

Tony

Comment

Working...
            X