X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The commercialization of Hobby Squawk

Not sure how I feel about this. That is seeing ads for vendors (other than MotionRC) here at Hobby Squawk.

The promise of the internet was that issues could be addressed free from the meddling of advertisers. It was coined the information highway. It was/is this meddling from advertiser that has killed most of the credibility of the dead tree press.

While I'm happy that Hobby Squawk has a great "sponsors" like 'Callie Graphics' there are many vendors of our hobby products that I'd categorize as being lower than a scab1.

I'd like to ask the management of Hobby Squawk; how are you going to protect the integrity of Hobby Squawk from the influences of sponsors (advertisers)? As an unpaid contributing editor (user generated content) to Hobby Squawk, I'm very concerned about who or what firms benefits from my writings!

This is a critical and fundamental question that must be addressed, and addressed properly, for Hobby Squawk to raise itself above the stinking swamp that often are RC (radio control) group form sites.

1http://www.kirkbytimes.co.uk/news_items/the_scab.html

It's a good question, I'm happy to answer it. Most forums don't disclose what happens behind banners and sponsorship agreements, but we do things differently here and I don't mind shedding some light.

To date, Hobbysquawk has been completely paid for by Motion RC, to provide an online community for pilots to discuss anything RC aircraft related. Any brand, any seller, any type of aircraft, regardless of whether Motion RC sells it. We actively discuss products which are Motion RC competitors. Ultimately, I like Hobbysquawk because it's a place I can talk about what I fly, regardless of where I got it or what I have to say about it. Whether it's a Durafly EFX Racer (technically a competing brand) or a FlightLine P-38 (my design project), or anything in between.

Regarding the Banners that are beginning to appear on Hobbysquawk, they are actually NOT paid for by those companies --Motion RC still funds 100% of Hobbysquawk. Callie is NOT a sponsor. She's simply a company whose products I and many people love, so we asked her if she'd send us a banner which we could put up on our forum, at no cost to her. Needless to say, she was elated by our generosity, and we were more than happy to offer it to her as a nice way to "pay it forward" for someone whose products and services enrich the hobby. We're such nice guys, right? It may sound counter-intuitive, that a banner is free and is not "commercialized". But, from my perspective it further cements our assertion that Hobbysquawk is an all-access Open Forum. We don't get a penny from Callie for the banner, and we don't get a penny for any sales she may get because of the banner being on Hobbysquawk. But that's the point --We're not in this for that stuff. We're just trying to be nice, and spread some love on our own dime to key US-based companies in this business which we know people love and which have a record of good service to their customers. I mean, who doesn't love Callie?

Hobbysquawk will never be a place that needs to seek out advertisers or sponsor dollars. Hobbysquawk doesn't need to compromise our intended mission by accepting sponsors whose products we don't use and trust ourselves. We have the luxury of independence, and free choice. In fact, I believe Hobbysquawk is unique in this regard... what other forum turns down all paid sponsor offers?

And Konrad, as an "upaid contributing editor", to use the term you called yourself, you or anyone else is actively encouraged and more than welcome to contribute, or to not contribute. All my team can do is make Hobbysquawk a welcoming place for people of all ages, interests, skill levels, and personalities. Beyond that point the daily decision to contribute is up to each individual to decide.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

This is great news!!!

It is transparency like this that will keep Hobby Squawk the premier RC forum site!

Good job guys!

I'm ecstatic that they are just a means for you (MotionRC/Hobby Squawk) to promote service and products that you think enrich the hobby experience. Callie Graphics surely meets that criteria.

This is in keeping with the ideas of the Information Highway. In that you are supporting firms that have value to the membership regardless of any monetary return to you.

I had made an assumption that the banner ads were income generators. I apologies for that gross and callous assumption.

I will gladly support Hobby Squawk to my fullest capacity as an "unpaid contributing editor" to enhance the interests and skill level of all personalities that are willing to engage in the open and unconstrained exchange of knowledge.

Again Great job guys and maybe gals.

Comment

WOW!!! I'm all beclimped!... Seriously. Doc OK, ALREADY! Verklempt!!!!
        Last edited by doctormike; Mar 1, 2016, 04:49 AM.

Comment

And let me further state that this is one of the reasons I continue to visit HobbySquawk and deal with Motion R/C. We're all "unpaid contributing editors" and sometimes we're getting a free education as well. We just want to raise the level of knowledge and skill for everyone. Heck, would we be in this hobby if we never progressed?

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Crashing with a vengeance.

Comment

I'm trying to battle, beat back, ignorance with a vengeance! Some times that means making a smoking hole in the ground!:@

Comment

Ok vocabulary lesson please beclimped?

Comment

Me to farmflyer. Hey Doc what dictionary did that come from. I like it. Would like to use it. But what context do you use it in.😆 cool Doc, keep them coming.
                  Dewey l

Comment

I'm guessing that it is just his Santa Fe dialect trying to pronounce the Yiddish word "verklempt" :p
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

"I'm getting a little verklempt! Talk amongst yourselves"

Mike Myers and one of his famous SNL skits. A classic.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_m608xbdXiX1qidyxxo2_1280.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	32031

Comment

Wow not sure why but I remember that.

Comment

Tolk amongst yoselves. CLASSIC!

Comment

OK...I was just guessing about the spelling. SNL used to be really funny! Doc

Comment

I just chalked it up to cramped fingers and no spell check Doc, maybe you meant perplexed, or one of those Southern things, like in Canada, if your 'pissed' it means you're drunk, in the USA, it means your mad. In Australia it means any bloody thing ya want mate!
                              Still want to know what 'chunder' means. In the Men at Work song, "Land Down Under"

"Where women blow and men chunder"
                              eh!?
                              Have a nageela, whats a nageela?

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

New to the site but hardly new to the hobby, my 2 cents :
                                Anyone with a beef with Callie Graphics is definitely in for a treat when they deal with her. It's like using Mother Teresa as an example of people making you angry :).
                                I have no affiliation with her other than 2-3 orders a year,and can tell you she meets all requirements to be described as courteous, professional, efficient,talented,skilled and as a person who bends over backwards to help her customers. Oh- almost forgot her charges are way,way reasonable.
                                She'll fit right in with my experience w/MotioRc.
                                Doug

Comment

Not wanting to start something but the line is actually "Where women glow and men plunder". Chunder is used in a different chorus in the song and goes..."I come from a land down under
                                  Where beer does flow and men chunder"

Just sayin'. (;-> Heh Heh Heh.
                                  Always fly in the middle of the air and stay away from the edges. Edges of the air are identified as trees, ground, water, buildings, etc.

Comment

I heart Callie. Such a prime example of the precise types of businesses in the industry we happily "pay it forward" as Alpha mentioned. Excellent customer support and service. You can practically sense her smiling in any email correspondence. I have countless stories about the pleasure it has been using her fine decal service for years. Truly one of the jewels in the industry.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I just sent my first order to Callie, for my DC-3 graphics. They are very friendly and helpful. They told me that any letters under 1/4" might be a problem. Anxiously awaiting my decals. Doc

Comment

Well, its been years since I played the song in bands, and being a guitar player, what did I know about words LOL, but still, what the heck does it mean, sounds like vomiting, am I close??

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X