Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

House Paint for foam

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a gallon of gloss white water based latex for whenever I get a white or partially white plane. I repainted the Pitts with it and more recently, the Avanti.
    The advantage is that it hides the foam cells and give the plane a brighter white color.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8506.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	122976
    Team Gross!

Comment

DANG!!! What a beauty! Doc

Comment

Hard to believe she's going on four years old!

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

Hey that's sweet! Did you airbrush it and use water as a thinner? I've actually thought about painting a white on some of my white planes to hide the foam cells. I've just wondered what to paint with! :Confused:
          Still Learning:D

Comment

Actually, it's straight out of the can and I used an art brush, soft type sharp angled edge. It covers all the cells and makes it whiter, you'll see when you start that the bare foam actually looks grey in comparison.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

the decals were already on and the plane assembled and probably a year old by then. It was a great chance to touch up some minor dings and cover them up.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

I'll have to give it a whirl! I've thought about it, but just never tried it. It would be nice to hide the cells and make more realistic. Thanks!

i

Comment

I just bought a can of white paint that they usually mix the sample pints up with, at the Local Ace Hardware. Seemed good with.
                  Seemed good with one coat, then if you want high gloss, give the Minwax PRO series Spar Urethane indoor/outdoor clear gloss a try.
                  It's the best gloss I've found so far.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

I just may give the Pandora or old Apprentice a new look.

Comment

Originally posted by tab28682 View Post
                      Have also been airbrushing latex paint from sample bottles from Home Depot. Roy Vaillancourt has excellent info on latex paint for scale models on his web site:

http://www.vaillyaviation.com/docume...tspart1web.doc

He suggested windshield washer fluid for thinner, with 3% Floetrol latex paint additive, which helps the paint flow and lay down better on the surface a bit, before it sets.

The blue dye in the washer fluid evaporates with the fluid and does not affect final paint color after drying at all.

Here are two of my airbrushed models: my customized Eflite Convergence and my Dynam Me.262.
                      I think I'll show your work on the Dynam Me 262 to a fellow pilot of mine who has the same one you do. That's one of he coolest paint jobs on an Me 262 I've ever seen. Goose

Comment

I started airbrushing and I am using the apple barrel paint 50 cents and use alcohol. I am going to try the Windex.

Comment

I've played around with using windex, but never painted a plane or really anything. I have used the alcohol to clean the foam with so I'm sure airbrushing with it would be fine.

Comment

This weeks latex and windex!

Comment

Beautiful work! How much windex do you end up adding to the latex to get it thin enough for the airbrush?

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                                Beautiful work! How much windex do you end up adding to the latex to get it thin enough for the airbrush?
                                30 to 40 windex. Trial and error until I like how it shoots. Roughly the consistency of milk.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatbob View Post

30 to 40 windex. Trial and error until I like how it shoots. Roughly the consistency of milk.
                                  Thanks! :Cool:

Comment

Okay, someone explain to me the need for Windex over plain water. I never could wrap my brain around that. Also, I remember reading that it was hard on the gun as well?
                                    Any insight on this??

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

The ammonia in the windex is a good thinner for the paint. I've never heard of it being hard on the gun though.

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                        Okay, someone explain to me the need for Windex over plain water. I never could wrap my brain around that. Also, I remember reading that it was hard on the gun as well?
                                        Any insight on this??

Grossman56
                                        Good thinner and faster evaporation.
                                        Flying dirty with my airbrush tonight. :Cool:
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks great:Cool:
                                          TiredIron Aviation
                                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                                          X