Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question, will the ammonia eat the foam? All Windex doesn't have ammonia in it. I know I'm told by detailers that it isn't good for your windows and will streak therefore I never get Windex with ammonia. Phatbob, that is looking good.
    Still Learning:D

Comment

The ammonia won't affect the foam at all. :)

Comment

That's good to know. Thanks!

Comment

I have shelves upon shelves as some of you can imagine of tamiya paints. But these are solvent based. Can the flight line foam handle it? Its why I have never bothered to jump mediums and paint my own planes. Not gonna clog up my nice gones with latex anything.
          AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
            The ammonia in the windex is a good thinner for the paint. I've never heard of it being hard on the gun though.
            It will eat seals if they are not correct seals and it will also de plate the nickle finish inside the cup. Especially the cheap chinese stuff thats like 15 bucks a brush. I dilute tamiya acrylics with 90 isopropyl

AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
              I have shelves upon shelves as some of you can imagine of tamiya paints. But these are solvent based. Can the flight line foam handle it? Its why I have never bothered to jump mediums and paint my own planes. Not gonna clog up my nice gones with latex anything.
              If MEK or Acetone won't melt the EPO, then you are safe to spray, I strip the factory paint with both of those and no melting of the foam and it comes right off too. :)
              AMA 424553

Comment

I came across this old video when researching the interweb on the subject. Looks fine, but still scares the bejeezus outta me.
                With my luck... it'll melt away like the first sample!:Scared:

Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Regarding thinning latex paint with plain old water. Yes it will work. I use water and alcohol to thin latex paint for airbrushing. During the warm summer months, I use water as a thinner. During cooler months, I use alcohol as thinner. The reasons for this is that alcohol evaporates to quick in higher temperatures and water evaporates to slow in lower temperatures. With both types of thinners, the paint is thinned to the consistency of milk + or -.

Comment

Don't know about the spray cans, but Liquitex acrylics have been a staple for my art work and more recently my airplanes, it's great.
                    I use the Walmart bottles of crafts paint as well as Valspar that I get a sample can premixed at Ace Hardware. You can't beat the price!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wing painting 005.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	142999Click image for larger version

Name:	wing painting 045.JPG
Views:	786
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	143000Click image for larger version

Name:	wing painting 035.JPG
Views:	780
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	143001Click image for larger version

Name:	wing painting 062.JPG
Views:	723
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	143002

Pandora 1 and Pandora 2 a before and after shot. I follow up with a clear coat of Minwax Spar Urethane or Varathane Spar Urethane for a glossy finish. They both have a UV protectant in them, the Minwax seems a bit more shiny so its been my 'go to' lately. Does it last??

Three years and lots of flights later ( not to mention some crashes)
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8853.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	143003
                    Team Gross!

Comment

yup yup... I use the Folkart for touch ups myself. Good stuff... works well.
                      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

I was just reading through this foam to get so ideas on painting with paints. I seen Grossman Pandora which remind me of mine which I painted about 4 years ago. It was my first time every using a airbrush.
                        The paints I used were some cheap craft paint from a arts and craft store.
                        I have since tried home paint on one of my big F-16. I didn't airbrush this one. I first used a sponge brush and brush on the first two coats. When I came back a used a really small roller you can see the brush strokes.

Here's a few pictures of my Pandora. It sat on the shelf for 2 year after the paint before I decide to fly it again.

Comment

Looks great!
                          I never did set mine up in trike mode, again, it looks like a whole other plane!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

That does look good! I agree Grossman, it does look totally different in trik. I've always kept mine as a taildragger.

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                              Okay, someone explain to me the need for Windex over plain water. I never could wrap my brain around that. Also, I remember reading that it was hard on the gun as well?
                              Any insight on this??

Grossman56
                              Your right Ammonia is hard on the Chrome in your airbrush. I use a mix of 91% IPA and ammonia FREE windex and distilled water to clean my airbrush only time I use windex but never as a paint thinner. Happy painting.:Goodbye:

Comment

I use automotive windshield washer fluid to thin my latex for airbrushing. The detergent seems to help keep the airbrush cleaner. I also like to use the Floetrol latex paint additive, at 2-3% mix. Helps the latex flow and lay out a little better while it dries..

Comment

tab28682 Where do you buy that "Floetrol" additive?

I've found that the key with Windex (in the context of water based acrylic enamels) is to buy the ammonia-free formula. Isopropyl alcohol mix is safer with less fuss, so I usually use that with Tamiya. For Vallejo or Ammo I also use IPA, although for Vallejo especially I find that using their proprietary thinner and flow enhancer is worth the cost. I think tip care directly influences good paint flow and minimal issues with tip dry or paint spattering. I use Badger's "needle juice" product to care for the needle and go to great lengths to protect the sharp tip from damage.
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Alpha, in the states you can find it at Lowes, homedepot and ace hardware.

R.
                                    AMA 424553

Comment

Thanks, I'll see what I can find here in China. I always like trying new additives and experimenting with my airbrush.
                                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I have been using The RUST-OLEUM 2X ULTRA COVER paint and primer. When it is on SALE, I can get two 12 oz. cans for $7.00 Dollars at ACE Hardware I have used it on many Free-Wing and Flight line planes, and my E-flite planes. Here is a photo of my E-flite Twin 64mm A-10 I did

Click image for larger version  Name:	firstflight3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.4 KB ID:	295326

Comment

Hey all, just wanted to let you know about the stuff at Michaels, its actually great. They have a newer line of a very ultra matte finish acrylics in bottles and sprays that are super flat in military colors and fairly inexpensive. I havent tried the sprays but always be weary of any spray as the solvents or propellants can melt even epo foam. I always do a hard shell of 3 coats of polycrylic before using any sprays anyway so Im not worried but as long as you have any primer base down you can spray away - just never on bare foam is a good rule of thumb. I cant believe how flat these mattes are. Check them out.

Comment

Working...
                                          X