Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a good flying morning. Got in three flights with my Mini-Apprentice and maidened my PT 17. Had a little trouble with trim on it but finally got it straightened out. My landings weren't great BUT the airplane survived.

Comment

• Well, the maiden flight of the Waco today flopped. Wind was picking up, and I was a bit too cautious with the throttle on take-off. Just got airborne and the wind gusted from the side and nosed it over onto the ground. Only damage was a broken prop, but since I forgot to pack any spares, that ended flying it today.

Ironically, the reason I wasn't giving it more throttle was that I was concerned our dirt runway would drag the wheels, and if I gave it too much juice, it would nose over and break the prop. I've seen that happen to a few other taildraggers out there.
      Live and learn. I picked up another wooden prop, and on a whim, grabbed a Master Airscrew nylon at the same time. So far, of all the props I've tried for this, the Master Airscrew is the best balanced.
      We have a Xoar dealer here in Tucson, but they're only open Monday-Friday. They usually do mail order, but the website says drop-ins by appointment, so I may call them Monday and see if I can stop by and pick up a couple of Xoar wooden props.

Comment

• You're gonna love that PT, b_s! I've gone that same route with my training. Haven't even gone back to the Mini since. Well, mainly because it's now my son's main flyer, but mostly just because I love flying the PT-17. :)
        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Sorry to hear it didn't go better for ya there, Hoomi. Although very happy for ya that the only damage was the prop! I'm feeling your re-maiden will be much sweeter... ;)
          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
            You're gonna love that PT, b_s! I've gone that same route with my training. Haven't even gone back to the Mini since. Well, mainly because it's now my son's main flyer, but mostly just because I love flying the PT-17. :)
            X3 on the Stearman - but I got oriented with the HZ Carbon Cub.
            Attached Files

Comment

• In between rain storms I took my FMS F-18F 70mm to the local school track...

My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Sorry to hear it didn't go better for ya there, Hoomi. Although very happy for ya that the only damage was the prop! I'm feeling your re-maiden will be much sweeter... ;)
                I'm going to blame the pilot. What can I expect from a pig in the cockpit? ;)

Comment

• Diggin' that camera view, Aros! Got me a little dizzy a time or two, but seeing those divots tossed back on the landing was just priceless.:Cool:
                  Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post

I'm going to blame the pilot. What can I expect from a pig in the cockpit? ;)
                    Yeah he probably slopped everything up.LOL

Comment

Diggin' that camera view, Aros! Got me a little dizzy a time or two, but seeing those divots tossed back on the landing was just priceless.:Cool:
                      Funny you noticed that, I liked that myself! Thanks!
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I took all of my Freewing jets out to fly on Saturday. Had a great time! I love the really high alpha landings with the Mig 21 and F-16. We didn't get any pictures of the A-10 or F-16 flying.

Comment

• Here is a flight with the F-4. I love this plane! I was too hot for landing and got too aggressive with the elevator after I touched down. No damage was done. This plane is tough!

Comment

• Landing looked good to me! What caused it to float back up? It is a tough, sweet bird though. I took mine to the local school for the first time. Man it chews up the airspace there QUICK!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• After I was down I went to full up elevator to keep the nose up and lite as long as possible. I had too much speed so she took off again. :Scared: 100% pilot error.

Comment

• Day 689: In honor of my dad who passed this morning I flew "The Dragon and his Tail" because he was a WWII veteran and loved the pretty girls:Cool:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180611_194749115_iOS.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	136554

TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• I posted this on my Facebook page yesterday, seems fitting to post here today.

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                                    I posted this on my Facebook page yesterday, seems fitting to post here today.

That's awesome...

TiredIron Aviation
                                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                      Day 689: In honor of my dad who passed this morning I flew "The Dragon and his Tail" because he was a WWII veteran and loved the pretty girls:Cool:
                                      TiredIron, Very sorry to hear of your father's passing. Our sincerest condolences. A thoughtful gesture on the flight. My father, too, was a WWII bomber pilot with the 8th in Europe and the 13th in the Pacific. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• TiredIron you have our deepest sympathy on the loss of your Father. You and your Family are in our Prayers.

Comment

• TI, my condolences on the passing of your dad, that was a nice tribute to him flying his B-24.

Comment

Working...
                                          X