X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

If it is approx. 1/2 lb / 8 oz or less then it will be exempt. WOW...…………… talk about the less than 1%
    Well, yeah it's a limiter, but not an eliminator. Perhaps MRC will increase it's mini/micro plane line. Here's two suggestions for Alpha, if he's watching:

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Min...r_warehouse=CN

https://www.banggood.com/XK-X450-VTO...r_warehouse=CN

Comment

Horizon Hobby has a whole fleet of 21 UMX planes, all of which fit the criteria of under 250g. I've had several of their earlier versions and I've gotten rid of all but 2 and those 2, I rarely fly them anymore. After a while, they just get too boring to fly and they never get any use anymore. I rarely see UMXs at any of my flying fields and the times I do, those guys bring them out maybe twice, then never to be seen again. I still fly my Mini-Convergence and Eflite V-22 fairly regularly but both of those exceed the 250g limit.
      Nevertheless, the purpose of this thread is not so much to convert to UMXs, but to discuss (or in some cases, vent) what, if anything to do about the proposed regulations and if nothing can be done to affect the outcome, how to live with them. I seriously doubt that any new regs will "eliminate" what we fly in this hobby already. They may change how we fly and in the worse case scenario, it's not going to result in a mass exodus from this hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
        Seems to me the main thrust of the rules are to anticipate the flood of UAVs from companies such as Amazon, Google, etc., which could also have impact on recreational modelers (deliveries crossing over flight areas).
        Boy are they in for a surprise when NIMBY cities like Seattle, San Francisco, and NYC enact ordinances that prevent them.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
          Horizon Hobby has a whole fleet of 21 UMX planes, all of which fit the criteria of under 250g. I've had several of their earlier versions and I've gotten rid of all but 2 and those 2, I rarely fly them anymore. After a while, they just get too boring to fly and they never get any use anymore. I rarely see UMXs at any of my flying fields and the times I do, those guys bring them out maybe twice, then never to be seen again. I still fly my Mini-Convergence and Eflite V-22 fairly regularly but both of those exceed the 250g limit.
          Nevertheless, the purpose of this thread is not so much to convert to UMXs, but to discuss (or in some cases, vent) what, if anything to do about the proposed regulations and if nothing can be done to affect the outcome, how to live with them. I seriously doubt that any new regs will "eliminate" what we fly in this hobby already. They may change how we fly and in the worse case scenario, it's not going to result in a mass exodus from this hobby.
          But it still goes back to "punishing the innocent". For example, the drone that crashed on the White House lawn. Every RESPONSIBLE flyer knows the ENTIRE DC AREA IS A NO-FLY ZONE! Yet one ignorant yahoo gets the headlines, and we get taken to "the woodshed". And the press is in on it too. Any time an emergency situation is hampered by somebody's DJI, it's headlines. But how many stories do you hear about how RC aviation advancing STEM education? Or the therapeutic values of RC flying for people like rifleman who have PTSD and other service related problems? No, you'll only hear about the morons who will keep doing it and cause the death of this hobby. And I'm not pushing UMX and small scale helicopters, I'm just putting it out there as a workaround.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

But it still goes back to "punishing the innocent". For example, the drone that crashed on the White House lawn. Every RESPONSIBLE flyer knows the ENTIRE DC AREA IS A NO-FLY ZONE! Yet one ignorant yahoo gets the headlines, and we get taken to "the woodshed". And the press is in on it too. Any time an emergency situation is hampered by somebody's DJI, it's headlines. But how many stories do you hear about how RC aviation advancing STEM education? Or the therapeutic values of RC flying for people like rifleman who have PTSD and other service related problems? No, you'll only hear about the morons who will keep doing it and cause the death of this hobby. And I'm not pushing UMX and small scale helicopters, I'm just putting it out there as a workaround.
            I understand all of that but it wasn't part of your post #81, which was about little aircraft that you think MRC should carry. My point was that I doubt MRC will carry any of those cheap little things that we see on Banggood because those things won't compete with Horizon's fleet of already proven and easily accessible products. They are only "workarounds" for those who are either children or people not quite fully into the hobby or those who are into the hobby and maybe want a temporary (very temporary) diversion. At least for me, these little things will never replace what I've been flying for the past 10 years. In fact, I will likely never buy another one again. It has little to do with "punishing the innocent" or the acts of bozos and morons.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
              Manny of us have no use for UMX stuff. Here for example it's windy 5 months out of the year and UMX just won't cut it. They just get blown around and won't survive long..

Mike
              \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
                DRONES, People, or quads if you like, read the wording and you will see that this is for non AMA club fields. They are trying to get control of the rogue fliers and not us.
                Sadly, if you study the new rule proposals, they will eventually eliminate those "accepted" fields by attrition every 3 years.
                Why would i want to drive 10-15 miles to a club field to fly, instead of my 5 acre backyard? I fly "airplanes" not boxes with multi props. In my 60+ years, on and off, flying a hand built balsa with an .049 on a string as a child, to electric foamies, I've always flown by the rules of safety and common sense.
                They will never eliminate the rogue 'drone' fliers that can buy a box from any major retail store in the US that clearly says on the box,"NO FAA".
                Unfortunately, unless we can surmount a large response to the new Fed FAA Regs proposed, I fear our hobby is in great danger.

Pandora1 Former AMA, current EAA member.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post
                  But it still goes back to "punishing the innocent".
                  And don't forget, it's also about them having total CONTROL of us. They have realized the drone community has turned into a HUGE market and millions of dollars to be made. So they, like always, feel the need to jump in and take control over it all. Another example of passive communism.

EAA# 1366802
                  AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CVA59 View Post

And don't forget, it's also about them having total CONTROL of us. They have realized the drone community has turned into a HUGE market and millions of dollars to be made. So they, like always, feel the need to jump in and take control over it all. Another example of passive communism.
                    Do you really think the FAA is some kinda money making machine? Just how will they make millions? Congress mandated they do something.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post

Do you really think the FAA is some kinda money making machine? Just how will they make millions? Congress mandated they do something.

Mike
                      Are you kidding me??? I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE FAA MAKING MONEY!!! Let me spell it out for you. There are millions being made and millions yet to be made by those companies who will monitor and sell the products the FAA is requiring the "law abiding" UAS users to have in place, etc, etc,. The context of my post was that the FAA is and will continue to control every aspect of that and those companies......."And don't forget, it's also about them having total CONTROL of us". I NEVER said anywhere in my post that the FAA stood to make millions, wow. You need to re-read my post.

EAA# 1366802
                      AMA# 631508

Comment

Originally posted by KRCamaro View Post

Sadly, if you study the new rule proposals, they will eventually eliminate those "accepted" fields by attrition every 3 years.
                        Why would i want to drive 10-15 miles to a club field to fly, instead of my 5 acre backyard? I fly "airplanes" not boxes with multi props. In my 60+ years, on and off, flying a hand built balsa with an .049 on a string as a child, to electric foamies, I've always flown by the rules of safety and common sense.
                        They will never eliminate the rogue 'drone' fliers that can buy a box from any major retail store in the US that clearly says on the box,"NO FAA".
                        Unfortunately, unless we can surmount a large response to the new Fed FAA Regs proposed, I fear our hobby is in great danger.

Pandora1 Former AMA, current EAA member.
                        I agree with you and that I yes I will fly in my yard and do so responsibly, we responsible fliers are baring the brunt of the non. R.
                        AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by CVA59 View Post

Are you kidding me??? I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE FAA MAKING MONEY!!! Let me spell it out for you. There are millions being made and millions yet to be made by those companies who will monitor and sell the products the FAA is requiring the "law abiding" UAS users to have in place, etc, etc,. The context of my post was that the FAA is and will continue to control every aspect of that and those companies......."And don't forget, it's also about them having total CONTROL of us". I NEVER said anywhere in my post that the FAA stood to make millions, wow. You need to re-read my post.
                          "They have realized the drone community has turned into a HUGE market and millions of dollars to be made. So they, like always, feel the need to jump in and take control over it all."

You weren't very clear at all.

Mike

Comment

A couple of years ago I sent an email to Rich Hanson, the President of AMA at the time, stating that in my opinion the decision to include FPV and/or drones into our organization was the worst in the history of AMA. He replied with some blather about how now we could regulate them and convince them to fly using AMA rules. After one of the near miss incidents with an airliner, I sent another email asking how is this working out for you now? No reply was made. I am convinced drone and FPV flyers will cause the end of the r/c hobby as we have known it. Even club members in 2 clubs I have been in fly with no spotter or stay within LOS when flying FPV. After spending 36 years in the cockpit I know the possible consequences of colliding with even a moderate sized drone.We are now lumped into the same basket as all these rogue drone flyers as a result of the stupidity of our AMA officers.

Comment

Originally posted by VOODOO View Post
                              A couple of years ago I sent an email to Rich Hanson, the President of AMA at the time, stating that in my opinion the decision to include FPV and/or drones into our organization was the worst in the history of AMA. He replied with some blather about how now we could regulate them and convince them to fly using AMA rules. After one of the near miss incidents with an airliner, I sent another email asking how is this working out for you now? No reply was made. I am convinced drone and FPV flyers will cause the end of the r/c hobby as we have known it. Even club members in 2 clubs I have been in fly with no spotter or stay within LOS when flying FPV. After spending 36 years in the cockpit I know the possible consequences of colliding with even a moderate sized drone.We are now lumped into the same basket as all these rogue drone flyers as a result of the stupidity of our AMA officers.
                              I have been saying this regarding the AMA all along. I have gotten a lot of backlash (I could are less) because of this. The proof speaks for itself. Now that our hobby is now in the preliminary stages of potentially becoming extinct and now the AMA is now asking for us to participate????? Hahahaha, they should have been fighting wayyyyyy back so this day would never have come as it has now! Needless to say, I will no longer be a member of the AMA after this years membership expires. The AMA should have been spearheading this as the #1 proponent. However, in looking around on social media, useless emails from the AMA, and other info resources about remote ID, it seems the AMA has allowed us members to stand mostly alone on the front lines of this insanity. I am seeing private individuals coming together preparing to file lawsuits if this things goes bad. Where is the AMA legal team preparing legal action towards the FAA if this turns bad? Where is a statement from the AMA explaining if these insane rules go into effect, the will immediately begin legal proceedings to fight back. Where is this info from the AMA???????

Let me be clear, I have NO issues with the AMA other than their public lack of aggression / resistance of the FAA's ridiculously proposed rules. I got more satisfaction from the letter the EAA sent in than anything the AMA has done. EVERYONE is very clear on what the FAA is proposing, this horse has been beaten to death! As a result and with the time that has passed, the AMA should have already informed us if they are working on an alternate plan to protect our hobby from the thugs at the FAA?.

EAA# 1366802
                              AMA# 631508

Comment

It's easy to point fingers and assign blame after the fact, as always.

How many have spent as much time making comments to the FAA on the NPRM as they have assigning blame on the various forums?

If everyone that has fussed about it on the forums and social media actually commented to the FAA, a louder voice could be heard where it may actually make a difference.

Rolling over or civil disobedience will not make it go away.

Comment

http://www.helpsaveourhobby.com/?fbc...QzNttOnNuWK0Gk

This could work against us if there's no turn out. Not much time it's like they didn't think this though.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

How many have spent as much time making comments to the FAA on the NPRM as they have assigning blame on the various forums?

If everyone that has fussed about it on the forums and social media actually commented to the FAA, a louder voice could be heard where it may actually make a difference.

I assume you are referencing my post. Let me make it very clear to you and all the others who find my comments offensive for some odd reason since after-all, I too am fighting just as you for preserving our hobby. I have stated my case, my discontent, my opinions to the AMA AND FAA numerous times and in fact, I have emailed certain individuals with these agencies prior to the latest NPRM!!!!! So IF, your comments are referring to my post, YOU ARE WRONG about me and my intentions SIR! Generalizing people's opinions and comments on here is ridiculous. AGAIN, my comments are based solely on my personal experiences and observations with the AMA. Stop making my comments out to sound like kind of overall and vicious attack on the AMA. Let me quote my comments in my post #94; "I have NO issues with the AMA other than their public lack of aggression / resistance of the FAA's ridiculously proposed rules".

I do however, as of discovering today, find it interesting to see the AMA finally pulling together a "coalition" of various manufacturers and groups. Again, back to MY OWN opinion, estimate, feelings, viewpoint, this kind of positive action should have taken place months ago, not here at the last minute with the expectation things will turn into our favor before, on or after March 1st.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a nonprofit community of enthusiasts who come together to celebrate model aviation.

EAA# 1366802
                                    AMA# 631508

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

In my case I had no idea that AMA would invite drone fliers into the organization until "after the fact" My email to Rich Hanson was sent as soon as I learned of the action. Admittedly, I don't spend a lot of time on forums or discussions, other than at the flying field. After including drone and FPV fliers into AMA there is no way we can divorce their actions from the organization as a whole. I fly as often as possible, since the opportunity may well disappear. Probably the first time a commercial airliner is brought down by a drone collision while on final approach with the loss of all life aboard, we can kiss r/c flying goodbye.

Comment

If you go to Best Buy and get a drone that flies itself, you are the problem... Earn it like we here did....

Comment

• CVA59 and VOODOO My comments were in no way directed at the the two of you. This isn't the "other forum". We are all friends here.

We are all in this boat together and none of us like how this is all likely, changing the face of our hobby.

My point was simply that, if everyone that was voicing discontent on all of the various media platforms actually commented to the FAA on the NPRM, it would be a loud voice indeed. Sadly, not the case.

Comment

Working...
                                          X