X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
    Now that's interesting, some common sense from the Canadian Government!!
    Now if our dear counterparts would just take note. Hopefully someone has pointed this out in their comments!!

Grossman56
    It probably has to do with the situation that some Canadian bureaucrats aren't as interested in building little "fiefdoms" as their US counterparts. The original exemption rule was a thorn in the side for some of the FAA folks. They didn't like the idea that there was something that they couldn't control, so once that rule was removed, they've gone at it with a vengeance. It reminds me of the situation of Preston Tucker versus the Detroit car manufacturers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

It probably has to do with the situation that some Canadian bureaucrats aren't as interested in building little "fiefdoms" as their US counterparts. The original exemption rule was a thorn in the side for some of the FAA folks. They didn't like the idea that there was something that they couldn't control, so once that rule was removed, they've gone at it with a vengeance. It reminds me of the situation of Preston Tucker versus the Detroit car manufacturers.
      You're probably right about the "little fiefdoms" observation. Let's face it; most bureaucrats love to seize power over people. But the truth is, the Minister of Transport Canada happens to be Marc Garneau; who is a retired RCAF jet pilot and former Canadian astronaut. After much petitioning from MAAC and non-MAAC members about keeping the Model Aircraft Hobby separate from moronic buffoons who do idiotic stunts with drones, Mr. Garneau confirmed that he understood the passion and educative value of model aviation flight. Without it, he would have never fulfilled his dream of being an Air Force aviator, let alone a Canadian astronaut!....His status likely compelled the exemption....He did make it clear that mishandled drones are catastrophic to real aviation....Yes they are Sir!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by AirHead View Post

You're probably right about the "little fiefdoms" observation. Let's face it; most bureaucrats love to seize power over people. But the truth is, the Minister of Transport Canada happens to be Marc Garneau; who is a retired RCAF jet pilot and former Canadian astronaut. After much petitioning from MAAC and non-MAAC members about keeping the Model Aircraft Hobby separate from moronic buffoons who do idiotic stunts with drones, Mr. Garneau confirmed that he understood the passion and educative value of model aviation flight. Without it, he would have never fulfilled his dream of being an Air Force aviator, let alone a Canadian astronaut!....His status likely compelled the exemption....He did make it clear that mishandled drones are catastrophic to real aviation....Yes they are Sir!!!
        Is his full name Joseph Jean-Pierre Marc Garneau? Because if it is WOW!, I looked him up in Wikipedia, and if it's the same person then he and I have something in common. You see, on the last carrier I was on prior to retirement, I was in Combat Systems Department, with my primary task being maintainer for the Undersea Warfare Module, and one of my collateral duties was Departmental Supply Petty Officer (though it took up a lot more time than my primary duty). And as far as the drone comment, very true, but the actions the the FAA are taking are actually a placebo to salve public concern. Just like guns, unless some formal credentialization occurs, there will all ways be some one going to their local WalMart, or on
        to Amazon, picking out a drone that catches their eye, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Comment

• Originally posted by AirHead View Post

Interesting because I was thinking to myself, "I wonder if he is an R/C enthusiast, that's what we need in the upper FAA is someone who is one of us" Good for you guys, wish he'd phone up his FAA counterpart and smarten him up.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• For all the belly-aching about the FAA - misdirected vitriol. The Commercial Drone Alliance, the folks who want to make money with drones, has been pushing against any and all exemptions; if rules are imposed on them, then impose them on everyone.

They are dancing with glee about this: https://www.commercialdronealliance....ircraft-system

Comment

Interesting because I was thinking to myself, "I wonder if he is an R/C enthusiast, that's what we need in the upper FAA is someone who is one of us" Good for you guys, wish he'd phone up his FAA counterpart and smarten him up.

Grossman56
              Well, Monsieur Garneau and his American counterpart share similar "pedigrees" up to a point. Here's Mr. Elwell's bio of what happened AFTER he left the Air Force according to Wikipedia:

"For 16 years, Elwell was a commercial pilot for American Airlines. Elwell also had a role of American Airlines's Managing Director for International and Government Affairs.[3] He also served as a legislative fellow for the late Senator Ted Stevens.[3] While working for Senator Stevens, Elwell was part of other aviation safety programs in Alaska, including the Capstone Program in the Yukon–Kuskokwim Delta, as well as the installation of real-time weather cameras at remote airfields and mountain passes.[5]

Elwell was named Vice President of the Aerospace Industries Association[6] in 2008 where he stayed until 2013. Elwell was a civil aerospace manufacturer representative in this capacity where he was an lobbyist for various companies.[3]

Elwell joined Airlines for America (A4A) in 2013[4] where he was the Senior Vice President for Safety, Security, and Operations. Elwell left this role in 2015.[3]

Elwell also served as the Senior Advisor on Aviation to Secretary Elaine Chao.[7]"

As for Ms Chao, who refuses to distinguish the difference between a "drone" and a model helicopter or airplane, worked in banking prior to becoming a professional bureaucrat, and has no credentials related to aviation.

Comment

• Typical in what is referred to as journalism these days, few facts, an anecdotal incident or two, plenty misleading of statements and unsubstantiated numbers.

Timing of the story seems a little suspicious to me, as if after getting 50,000 comments letting them know how crazy their Remote ID plan is, someone at the FAA feels a need to get the general public on their side.

It would have been nice if the writer had actually spent a little time checking out what is going on and not just parroting the FAA's talking points. I wonder if he would be interested in comparing how many aircraft are damaged to the point of being grounded for repairs after striking turtles on the runway, verses how many "confirmed" drone strikes there have been.
                The FAA's log of drone sightings by pilots showed more than 2,000 encounters last year. Its proposed drone rules are getting pushback from enthusiasts

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                  Typical in what is referred to as journalism these days, few facts, an anecdotal incident or two, plenty misleading of statements and unsubstantiated numbers.

Timing of the story seems a little suspicious to me, as if after getting 50,000 comments letting them know how crazy their Remote ID plan is, someone at the FAA feels a need to get the general public on their side.

It would have been nice if the writer had actually spent a little time checking out what is going on and not just parroting the FAA's talking points. I wonder if he would be interested in comparing how many aircraft are damaged to the point of being grounded for repairs after striking turtles on the runway, verses how many "confirmed" drone strikes there have been.
                  I hear you there, what about birds getting sucked into turbines and the list goes on and on. What idiot put a flame thrower on a drone?? Someone who is undoubtedly NOT a member of the AMA or any kind of safety first club. Like I said before, it's parroting the plight of law abiding gun owners versus outlaws.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                    Typical in what is referred to as journalism these days, few facts, an anecdotal incident or two, plenty misleading of statements and unsubstantiated numbers.

The incident cited are all explainable. The LA news chopper was probably flying outside a usual flight corridor, and as far as news choppers are concerned, how many times have THEY cause obstructions in rescue efforts? The in the Blackhawk incident, in the original reporting on it it was stated that it was flying OUTSIDE the usual corridor they used. The airliner incidents can be chalked up to people who will do the same thing even if the proposed rule is enacted, And as far as the Cessna pilot is concerned, he doesn't know if it was a drone, a chunk of ice from an aircraft at a higher altitude, or a turd chucked at him by a disgruntled E.T..

Comment

• By the way folks, we've picked up a surprise group of allies:

https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/opin...rs/4978046002/

Comment

• Today I witnessed a perfect example of why the FAA implemented this rule, and why it doesn't work. Today when we got home from her doctor's appointment I was helping my mother into the house and I heard a familiar noise. I looked up and there was a drone "buzzing" around the neighborhood. It wasn't commercial, it was the kind that you could pick up at Walmart in the electronics section, one of those low-end DJI types. First of all it was flying over other peoples property, and there were children out playing, essentially breaking two FAA and AMA rules. Add to this the fact that we're within the five mile radius of an airport (even though you can't see the airport), and I doubt they even knew that they had to get tower permission (I quit flying mine in my own yard over this), this was a third violation. These are the people that have "ruined" it for us, and will blithely keep on doing the same thing.

Comment

• Hey, given what's going on with the outbreak, I got an idea on how to kill remote ID. What we need to do is start a rumor on the Internet that the remote ID system, as proposed, causes cancer the way that second hand smoke does. The public outrage will either cause the FAA to remove the rule, or ban the hobby, which is what remote Id is pretty much doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post
                            Today I witnessed a perfect example of why the FAA implemented this rule, and why it doesn't work. Today when we got home from her doctor's appointment I was helping my mother into the house and I heard a familiar noise. I looked up and there was a drone "buzzing" around the neighborhood. It wasn't commercial, it was the kind that you could pick up at Walmart in the electronics section, one of those low-end DJI types. First of all it was flying over other peoples property, and there were children out playing, essentially breaking two FAA and AMA rules. Add to this the fact that we're within the five mile radius of an airport (even though you can't see the airport), and I doubt they even knew that they had to get tower permission (I quit flying mine in my own yard over this), this was a third violation. These are the people that have "ruined" it for us, and will blithely keep on doing the same thing.
                            I concur with everything you have said EXCEPT that the rule has yet to be implemented...………..it is still in the proposal stage.
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Well, if their is any bright side to the Corona virus, the skies are a lot clearer now that the airlines are cancelling flights.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

I concur with everything you have said EXCEPT that the rule has yet to be implemented...………..it is still in the proposal stage.
                                I thought the five mile rule was part of the legislation that took away our exemption.

Comment

Well, if their is any bright side to the Corona virus, the skies are a lot clearer now that the airlines are cancelling flights.

Grossman56
                                  Yeah, but I can't get to my field. It's a seasonal thing, not a Corona thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                                    Seems to me the main thrust of the rules are to anticipate the flood of UAVs from companies such as Amazon, Google, etc., which could also have impact on recreational modelers (deliveries crossing over flight areas).
                                    These are the NUT BAGS That are ruining the RC Aircraft Hobby and the FAA is Lining Their pockets with their money to Stop Our Flying And the other huge problem is summed up in one word DRONES. There is a man in the White house These bureaucrats can not control and he is the one we should all be Writing to

Comment

• I think some have lost perspective as to what the FAA is doing, people are blaming the FAA and that the FAA is the monster here. The FAA is the escape goat here for the uppers in government and big business, they did not want or want to go down this path with the hobby industry, Congress and the lobbyist are the ones that started this and the FAA had it dropped in there laps, now they have to come up with something and are using industry and big brother, big business and those who took the time to respond to the proposals to come up with something we all can get along with. The first proposal put out had 18,000 responses and thought that it's not that important to us so proceed and said that we have on average of 1.2 planes, this one had 50,000 which is still says that most of the estimated 150,000 hobbyist didn't care to have a voice. I have 78 planes to date and 12 of them I can fly anywhere (UMX). I have two drones and fly nether one, not much flying skill needed to fly. Is this a money grab, maybe.

So going after the FAA and blaming them is miss guided and we need to focus on congress and blame them. I'm not associated with the FAA other than being an A&P card holder certified welder working in nether industry but a fixed wing hobbyist.
                                      AMA 424553

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
                                        These are the NUT BAGS That are ruining the RC Aircraft Hobby and the FAA is Lining Their pockets with their money to Stop Our Flying And the other huge problem is summed up in one word DRONES. There is a man in the White house These bureaucrats can not control and he is the one we should all be Writing to
                                        I DID when the legislation to remove the exemption came out. End result:exemption gone, and I'm on the White House e-mailing list.

Comment

• Sooooo, what happens if this Remote ID actually becomes a reality and someone absentmindedly leaves the flying field with their transmitter and receiver left turned on?

Comment

Working...
                                          X