X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
    They're responsible for more aviation deaths than any drone operator ever has been.
    WOW, that's a pretty bold statement. I must disagree. I'm NOT saying drones have killed anyone. However, how many "real life" pilots do you think have intentionally and or recklessly brought down their plane or caused a plane to crash? Outside of being a terrorists, I'd say that number is relatively small! When a legitimate pilot does cause a crash from my experience, it is usually due to an unforeseen & instant health crisis, lack of, or poor training in the equipment they are flying. More times than not, excluding weather related conditions, when a real plane comes down it is related to some form of a mechanical malfunction.

Originally posted by mshagg View Post
    Like it or not the quad guys are part of our hobby.
    NO, sir, they are NOT. A kid who orders a $69.99 drone off Amazon, fly's it until it breaks or simply loses interest, then tosses it aside or in the trash is NOT a "hobbyists"! I have dedicated some 30+ years of building, flying and supporting my R/C aircraft hobby. Simply because they use a remote control for their camera platform does NOT make them a true "R/C hobbyists! Also, the intent of the drone is completely at the other end of the spectrum from what we R/C flyers do. Our hobbyists do what we do because; #1, we promote model aviation. #2, we support those who want to use model aviation as a starting pillar for a future in manned aircraft aviation. #3, it is a harmless and relaxing thing for us to do that provides a limited yet enjoyable experience of flight AND does NOT infringe or interfere in any way with anyone's privacy! Shall I continue giving you endless reasons why droners are NOT a part of our hobbyists community??????

The ONLY reason the drones are "illegitimately" considered part of our R/C aircraft community today, is because the AMA has designated it that way which is also wrong on so many levels. Make no mistake, no legitimate and truly dedicated "traditional" R/C aircraft builder or flyer will have anything to do with the drone community. Although, like everything in life, there will always be a few exceptions!!! The drone guys have their hobby circles and we have ours. Maybe in Australia it is the way you have described, but in America and from my own personal experiences, it's not that way. You statement is grossly inaccurate.

I am NOT trying to be a jerk but lets get the facts straight! Opinions are fine, wonderful and all that but facts are not opinions sir.

EAA# 1366802
    AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

I do. But I don't believe everything I read/hear at face value. Likewise, I don't buy into the myth that 'real world' pilots are beyond reproach. They're responsible for more aviation deaths than any drone operator ever has been. Everyone in this debate has a vested interest - us included.

Like it or not the quad guys are part of our hobby. How much effort you want to invest fighting them versus fighting the vested interests that benefit from that kind of thing... is a personal decision. Not my place to tell you how to fight the fight, and I value your contribution - just saying, I'll be taking a different approach when it inevitably comes to our shores.
      I don't feel as if you comprehend the enormous number of drones flown irresponsibly in the US. What if it is determined that the C130 which crashed with loss of all USA crew aboard was caused by a collision with a drone while fighting YOUR wildfires??? I have enormous respect for the commercial airlines in your country, having flown aboard them into all your major cities except Darwin. The volume of air traffic in Australia does not come close to the density of USA air traffic. For this reason, you are probably not at the same risk as we in USA. While your opinions may be justified in "OZ" they don't hold much water here in the US. Don't take this as a dig at Australia, it is my favorite country to visit ,having traveled there for over 30 years. We hope to return soon to Perth, where we visit with two couples we have been friends with for those 30 years.

Comment

• 12,000 comments we're still way short.

Mike
        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post
          12,000 comments we're still way short. Less than a month left to comment.

Mike
          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Don't forget to leave a comment guys. Be heard. Regardless of your stance on it, be heard. Complacency helps no one

Comment

• Originally posted by CVA59 View Post
              I am NOT trying to be a jerk but lets get the facts straight! Opinions are fine, wonderful and all that but facts are not opinions sir.

Originally posted by VOODOO View Post
              Don't take this as a dig at Australia, it is my favorite country to visit ,having traveled there for over 30 years. We hope to return soon to Perth, where we visit with two couples we have been friends with for those 30 years.
              Gentlemen, for the avoidance of doubt - I mean absolutely no insult or upset in my remarks and do not infer any from yours.

So with that said I would much prefer to respectfully agree to disagree on a point, rather than continue to argue it, and risk getting off side of people in the community.

I would encourage you to watch this young man's take on the hobby and reflect on any similarities to your own journey, whether it fits or challenges your narrative, and more importantly, whether you think it's worth having people like this in your corner.

Comment

Gentlemen, for the avoidance of doubt - I mean absolutely no insult or upset in my remarks and do not infer any from yours.

So with that said I would much prefer to respectfully agree to disagree on a point, rather than continue to argue it, and risk getting off side of people in the community.

I would encourage you to watch this young man's take on the hobby and reflect on any similarities to your own journey, whether it fits or challenges your narrative, and more importantly, whether you think it's worth having people like this in your corner.

https://youtu.be/A5rsfcc8hzs
                I agree COMPLETELY! There is not one good reason for any us hobbyist to have conflict over this among ourselves, we are all on the same team. Assuming we are all heading in the same direction of resolve for this FAA issue, some of us (yes, including myself) need to be a little less argumentative and stay focused on the issue at hand. I admit it, I do tend to be a bit coarse in my wording and responses sometimes. Although I have no intent to be rude, sometimes I come across that way. This has always been an issue for me when posting, emailing and texting. Sometimes comments are not always interpreted as intended. Anyway, good point mshagg, let's all continue working together and less time dissecting one another comments. Just my 2 cents worth.
                NOW, to all you "good husbands" out there, don't forget that today is Valentines Day. Take you're special lady to the local hobby store and buy her a new EDF.

EAA# 1366802
                AMA# 631508

Comment

NOW, to all you "good husbands" out there, don't forget that today is Valentines Day. Take you're special lady to the local hobby store and buy her a new EDF.
                  I would but the days of local hobby shops are relegated to larger towns or cities anymore and dwindling
                  On the bright side of today, I planned this out back in the day as a 2-FOR …………. its also our wedding anniversary. A very expensive dinner in about 6 hours.
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                    On the bright side of today, I planned this out back in the day as a 2-FOR …………. its also our wedding anniversary. A very expensive dinner in about 6 hours.
                    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! and we all know, if "Mamma" ain't happy, no one is happy.

EAA# 1366802
                    AMA# 631508

Comment

This is perfectly normal in our household as my wife builds and flys as well. We just finished her 1/4 scale Tiger Moth and are getting ready to start work on her VQ Warbirds Twin Otter this week. She gets treated well.

Happy Anniversary Charlie!

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

This is perfectly normal in our household as my wife builds and flys as well. We just finished her 1/4 scale Tiger Moth and are getting ready to start work on her VQ Warbirds Twin Otter this week. She gets treated well.

Happy Anniversary Charlie!
                        WOW, that is like having a wife who loves to fish, hunt and watch NASCAR. NICE!!!!

EAA# 1366802
                        AMA# 631508

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                          CVA59 and VOODOO My comments were in no way directed at the the two of you. This isn't the "other forum". We are all friends here.

We are all in this boat together and none of us like how this is all likely, changing the face of our hobby.

My point was simply that, if everyone that was voicing discontent on all of the various media platforms actually commented to the FAA on the NPRM, it would be a loud voice indeed. Sadly, not the case.
                          Yup

Comment

• I hope everyone has taken the time to post a comment to the FAA, the deadline is tomorrow. If you don't comment, I don't want to hear you whining when the doo doo hits the fan. It's like voting, you don't vote, you have no right to complain about the outcome.
                            I have posted two comments so far, here is my second one for all to see here is the link so you can post as well:
                            https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=FAA-2019-1100-0001Click image for larger version

Name:	faa comment.PNG
Views:	278
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	239093
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                              I hope everyone has taken the time to post a comment to the FAA, the deadline is tomorrow. If you don't comment, I don't want to hear you whining when the doo doo hits the fan. It's like voting, you don't vote, you have no right to complain about the outcome.
                              I have posted two comments so far, here is my second one for all to see here is the link so you can post as well:
                              https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=FAA-2019-1100-0001Click image for larger version

Name:	faa comment.PNG
Views:	278
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	239093
                              Grossman, you forgot to work in the immigrant angle. You should have included something along the lines of you being a newly naturalized citizen, and expected this kind of thing happens in Canada, but you'd never expect it to happen here.

Comment

• Other than the burdensome expense for manufacturers of some sort of onboard "ADS-B" that will be passed on to the consumer my biggest beef is the proposed $5 registration fee EVERY 3 years for EVERY airplane. I currently have 25 airplanes and know guys like TI that have 50+. Then, they will raise the fee in the next year like they always do to either $10-$15 or more per airplane. If it's about identifying the owner/operator then a single number attached to every model that person owns should be more than sufficient. But, like GA they will crush "model" aviation by making it too expensive so the the commercial operators (Amazon, UPS, FEDEX, realestate companies, county/state tax assessors, etc) will have the very low altitudes to them selves. (RANT)/OFF

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Grossman, you forgot to work in the immigrant angle. You should have included something along the lines of you being a newly naturalized citizen, and expected this kind of thing happens in Canada, but you'd never expect it to happen here.
                                  My thoughts exactly, Valk.

Comment

• In preparing my comments to the FAA, I did some google searches on collisions and near misses between commercial/private aircraft and drones/rc planes. I found over the last 10 years there have been hundreds of reports to the FAA involving near misses and some collisions with drones. Conversely, I found 1 collision in 2011 involving an RC airplane and private plane. Suggested to the FAA that their rule making be directed to where the safety concern lies. Show me empirical evidence that flying RC line of sight aircraft endangers commercial/civil airspace and I'll change my tune. That's not to say we are without fault. Take a look at the vids posted on youtube by a few of our own showing them flying on beaches, parks,neighborhoods over pedestrians, traffic and neighbors houses. However, that is within the purview of the local authorities, not the FAA

Comment

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
                                      In preparing my comments to the FAA, I did some google searches on collisions and near misses between commercial/private aircraft and drones/rc planes. I found over the last 10 years there have been hundreds of reports to the FAA involving near misses and some collisions with drones. Conversely, I found 1 collision in 2011 involving an RC airplane and private plane. Suggested to the FAA that their rule making be directed to where the safety concern lies. Show me empirical evidence that flying RC line of sight aircraft endangers commercial/civil airspace and I'll change my tune. That's not to say we are without fault. Take a look at the vids posted on youtube by a few of our own showing them flying on beaches, parks,neighborhoods over pedestrians, traffic and neighbors houses. However, that is within the purview of the local authorities, not the FAA
                                      You are absolutely spot on with that observation when you say a few of our own...……….. it happened just the other day on this forum
                                      The most probable outcome is likely coming down to what has always happened with the laws of society, punish the many for the actions of the few
                                      I've written my piece to the FAA knowing full well it most likely will fall on daft minds of elected officials and thusly forcing me to become an outlaw of the new rule.
                                      My service to this country is becoming a question to me of why because of the nonsense that occurs by our officials more and more these days.
                                      This rant has been building and is now done.
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Funny you'd mention that something like this happens in Canada. Truth is, the opposite happened. Minister of Transport up here, signed and put into effect on June 1, 2019, an exemption for the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada or MAAC, to continue to fly and govern the Model Aviation RC Hobby without interference from the Feds unless any of the exemption is breached or the Minister is concerned that the exemption is not in the best interest of the Public. In any event, the Minister is satisfied that after more than 70 years, the RC hobby community is self-regulating, safe and responsible. They have not applied any rules for changing the current status as to having remote ID transponders or such. Live and let live they said...Sounds great! Carry On Bravely!. Then again, there are only 37 million people in a huge chunk of geography up here and there aren't that many flyers...

Comment

• Now that's interesting, some common sense from the Canadian Government!!
                                          Now if our dear counterparts would just take note. Hopefully someone has pointed this out in their comments!!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X