X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    Thank you very much Grossman56. :Cool:I just build 'em the way I see 'em in my head. I hope no one minds that I don't do historically correct as a rule, though my F-4 will be mostly right.

AS for the 'LB' Seafire unit markings, Hardway, I have no clue what you're talking about. LOL

Best, LB
    There's a saying that used to float around in model railroading (and maybe still does) that goes, "I don't care if it's not 'prototype.' It's MY railroad!"

We can say the same thing. "I don't care if it's not 'historically accurate.' It's MY airplane!" :D

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
      Thank you very much Grossman56. :Cool:I just build 'em the way I see 'em in my head. I hope no one minds that I don't do historically correct as a rule, though my F-4 will be mostly right.

AS for the 'LB' Seafire unit markings, Hardway, I have no clue what you're talking about. LOL

Best, LB
      I do the same LB. When I am deciding how to do a bird up, I say "If it was my full scale bird, what would I do?". That way I'm always pleased and have something unique. :)

Comment

• Callie once again knocked it out of the park with the graphics for my E-Flite Cherokee. It took me months worth of research and eventually tracking down the owner of the actual plane in order to bring this one to life.

E-Flite Cherokee and 1966 Piper Cherokee 180 C by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

This is my grandfather and his 1966 Cherokee 180 C in front of his hanger at the local airport. The bottom picture is the E-Flite Cherokee in front of the same hanger.

E-Flite Cherokee N9058J project by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

E-Flite Cherokee N9058J project by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Here is the Cherokee today after tracking down the current owner
        Piper Cherokee N9058J current and previous hanger by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

The scale model of the Cherokee is what I used to play with as a kid and the only record I had of the plane until starting my research a year ago. I was planning on turning my PZ Archer into the Cherokee and actually ordered the graphics from Callie when the E-Flite Cherokee was introduced. We switched around the order to fit the Cherokee and thanks to the new owner, was able to really get some good detailed pictures to work with.
        E-Flite Cherokee BNF Basic repaint project by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Piper the cat giving the Cherokee a good inspection
        E-Flite Cherokee BNF Basic repaint project by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
          Callie once again knocked it out of the park with the graphics for my E-Flite Cherokee. It took me months worth of research and eventually tracking down the owner of the actual plane in order to bring this one to life.
          BR, You have done an incredible job. I have an old pic of E.H. (Dad) with his first airplane, Cessna 140 with his company logo hand-painted by a Cessna detail painter on the fuselage I want to build one day. You are a great inspiration. What a wonderful story to go with your hobby and your Cherokee. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• BR, that is beyond cool. Love stuff like this

Comment

• After seeing your Cherokee, I ordered the graphics from Callie for mine. My Eflite with our '65 180.

Comment

• Thanks guys, it was really exciting see this one come to life. I now have both of my grandfather's Arrows, made from PZ Archers, and his Cherokee 180 C. The only one I am missing is his Tri-Pacer.

CaptAmerica, I studied your pictures when I was working with Callie to come up with the graphics. If you ordered the set from her, it should come with the window and cowl vents. I might be doing another one in the spring and going to have her add the "do no step" and "do not push" decals to the kit. I stole those from other decals sets since I forgot to have her include them in the kit.

Comment

• I cut my own N#s and made the Piper logo. They're just not the same. I had to order another set so add the Cherokee in there as well. At this rate, Callie is going to make me go broke... Haha

Comment

• Almost every RC plane, other than my UMX's, of mine has something on it from Callie. Either a custom decal set, nose art, or nomenclature. I could have more planes if I bought less decals :p

Callie really got the Cherokee right. We worked together for months sharing pictures and researching. Without the actual plane to get measurements from, we had to work together on scaling the best we could. It came out remarkably well. The biggest error was that I put the 180 logos in the wrong spot on the plane. I have no idea how I got that wrong considering I had the model, a painting, and dozens of pictures scattered around the plane when I added the decals.

Oh, I replaced the black walkway with 800 grit sandpaper and that really looks good! I will do that in the future on any plane with a walkway.

Comment

• I thought of doing the same thing for the walkways. Glad it worked out. Yeah my UMX are the only ones without the Callie touch, but just recieved Bob Hoover decals for the UMX Aero Commander, so shot that.

Comment

• The sandpaper for the walkways really makes the Cherokee look better. I will do the same to my Archers as well. I had plans to repaint and change the graphics on my UMX A-10, but decided to just leave it as it came from the factory. I keep thinking of repainting my UMX Timber and giving it a USCG scheme.

Comment

• Yeah I stripped all the decals off my UMX Timber and made stars and starbursts so it looks like a Decathlon. Only drawback to models these days, they're cookie cutters. Thank goodness for rattle cans and decals.

Comment

• Monokote trim sheet and a star template.

Comment

• The UMX Timber looks much better with different graphics. I have seen another done up as a USCG bird and really liked it. My full size Timber is completely repainted already. The UMX warbirds look pretty good, mostly since they copy actual planes.

Comment

• Since it was raining today and I couldnt fly, did something else airplane related. Dressed up the UMX Aero Commander. Ready to Fly the Feathered Edge.

Comment

• Yeah I just slapped something on the Timber. Not super excited about it but it works for now.

Comment

• I saw him fly that in person at Ellington Field in Houston. Energy management at its finest!!! Fantastic pilot and good guy all around!!! :Cool:

Comment

• Great job on the micro!!! It looks really nice. (The pics finally came up so I could see them!!!) Bravo!! :Smug:
                                      Last edited by Hardway; Dec 20, 2018, 04:00 PM. Reason: Wrong emoji... Was looking for cool and this is labeled SMUG... Ha!!!

Comment

• He was the pilots pilot.

Comment

• Bob Hoover was also that rare case, of a professional stunt pilot who died of old age.

Comment

Working...
                                          X