Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
    I flew in the C.
    Very cool! Also, little did I know when I chose the A, that the amount of reference images are hard to come by, and most are boneyard pics

Comment

• Right?! Sad to see them all there. To bad I can't buy one and refurbish it. That would be sweet. It's a nice little plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post

Interesting, I saw a couple of complaints on finish but no ,more than usual.

Mike
        Not all of the F-100s had a substandard finish.

Mine had one minor finish flaw, plus a few very small instances of glue on the surface under the foam.

Honestly, it was better finished than my FW F-14, which had more issues than my F-100 did.

No doubt here are a few problems with some of the models. Some of the pictures posted elsewhere proved it and I would not have been happy with some of those more major finish flaws, either.

Color me happy with my F-100!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by tab28682 View Post

Not all of the F-100s had a substandard finish.

Mine had one minor finish flaw, plus a few very small instances of glue on the surface under the foam.

Honestly, it was better finished than my FW F-14, which had more issues than my F-100 did.

No doubt here are a few problems with some of the models. Some of the pictures posted elsewhere proved it and I would not have been happy with some of those more major finish flaws, either.

Color me happy with my F-100!
          Thanks that's what I thought. Seems like there was some serious bashing going on. Some of it by those who didn't even own the plane. I'm keeping it on my "maybe" list waiting for more "real world" reviews. I've always wanted a decent size F-100.

Mike
          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
            Alpha As I am listening to your podcast from 9/8 (last night) I evidently missed your question about preferences about reducing the number of panel lines on future aircraft. I don't know if my late vote counts, but as I look at my Phantom as an example, the panel lines certainly add to the overall and that airframe would be greatly diminished without panel lines. My F-18C has fewer it seems to me and I wish it had more. The A-10 looks great as does my Spitfire, so I say the same amount or more. I have used 1/32nd and 1/64th drafting tape before my final prime coats on my balsa and fiberglass models of the past, but that is because those had few or none to start. Panel lines on your foam airframes is one of the things I like as it saves me from adding those myself and are great reference points for repaint markings. Am I lazy, maybe, but that level of detail is something I have come to expect in models of this caliber. Respectfully, LB
            I'm not a huge scale guy, but I thought the panel lines on the F-18C were about in the "Goldielocks" zone.

Not too many as to be obnoxious while adding detail and character and not too deep as to be ridiculous.

Comment

• Elbee
              Elbee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I hear you. I have purchased only 6 models since coming back to the hobby. All have been Freewing/Flightline, so my reference point is limited to what lines those models have. In the end, it might just add time to the weathering process if I wanted to add more detail and I can take forever to finish a model, LOL. The pencil technique works for me, as does just adding bumps and flat panels or vents. Likely we'll see fewer in the future, but as long as these fly well, that's the ticket to success.

• Speaking of panel lines.

I have always felt that they could more delicate and a little less obvious.

This thought was confirmed by a recent purchase of a new ARF from Flite Test, the Grumman Widgeon.

I was very happily surprised by the size and quality of the panel lines and screw and rivet detail, not to mention the rest of the model. Extremely well done, as you can see from the pictures. I wish other manufacturers did them this well.

(Another very nice feature was the fact that all wire runs were hidden inside the model, with no tape or visible wiring slots)

Perhaps MRC and Freewing can do their panel lines more like this. There could be production reasons that make this problematic, like premature wearing of the mold, but it would certainly be nice.
            Attached Files

Comment

• tab28682, Alpha spoke to this very subject on his last AlphaMakesA on TwitchTV. Check it out: https://www.twitch.tv/alphamakesa , basically it comes down to a function of the 5-axis milling tool and its' angle to the surface of the negative metal molds during the pattern making process. 1mm deep and 1.5mm wide (or vice versa), in any event, it is very difficult to do, hence the conversation about more/fewer/or the same amount of panel lines on future projects. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Understood, and I had heard that before.

However, the Flite Test Grumman Widgeon does have panel lines smaller than the size mentioned, which is why I brought it up.

Comment

• Glad I waited. Now all I have to do is wait for Motion to get them in:
                  XK J3 with Gyro 650mm (25.5") Wingspan - (Ready-To-Fly) - RTF - WLT-A160 The XK J3 RTF is a great introductory model aircraft for beginners due to its built-in stability system (3D/6G) that supports smooth flights and resistance to crashes. A great park flyer with a removable wing and micro class size for easy transpor

Comment

• Alpha I would like to see Freewing do a 90mm MB-339.
                    I haven't seen anyone do one in that size yet.
                    Best regards,
                    Cris B.
                    AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
                    NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

• We really need a 80mm F 100 from freewing without a pre-installed gyro we don't want.
                      Freewing planes are the best on the market, the design and build quality are good and motion even ships them to us free. And
                      motion has the best customer service in the business

Comment

• Originally posted by Cws View Post
                        We really need a 80mm F 100 from freewing without a pre-installed gyro we don't want.
                        Freewing planes are the best on the market, the design and build quality are good and motion even ships them to us free. And
                        The FreeWing EDF's do not have gyo's pre-installed, They do have the Multi-function Control boards in them pre-installed though (Blue Box)

Comment

• Originally posted by Cws View Post
                          We really need a 80mm F 100 from freewing without a pre-installed gyro we don't want.
                          Alpha stated some time back that a FW F-100 was not on the foreseeable horizon.

Not being willing to wait a couple of years, or perhaps forever, I went with the Flex F-100. Really like it.

I decided to give the Flex controller a fair shake and like it so far. It is more than just a gyro. The F-100 flies well with the gyro selected off via a switch. The Aura is still supplying some mixing, rates and expo when the gyro functions are off.

Easy enough to remove and sell off the Aura if you can't stand the idea of it. They have been selling well at 50 to 65 bucks on RCG.

Comment

• Originally posted by tab28682 View Post

Alpha stated some time back that a FW F-100 was not on the foreseeable horizon.

Not being willing to wait a couple of years, or perhaps forever, I went with the Flex F-100. Really like it.

I decided to give the Flex controller a fair shake and like it so far. It is more than just a gyro. The F-100 flies well with the gyro selected off via a switch. The Aura is still supplying some mixing, rates and expo when the gyro functions are off.

Easy enough to remove and sell off the Aura if you can't stand the idea of it. They have been selling well at 50 to 65 bucks on RCG.
                            The guys that have the Flex F-100 at our field absolutely love them and have been flying the wings off them since the got them a few days ago.

I'd still like to see a FW version. The build quality will.be unmatched.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

The guys that have the Flex F-100 at our field absolutely love them and have been flying the wings off them since the got them a few days ago.

I'd still like to see a FW version. The build quality will.be unmatched.
                              If Freewing does happen to get around to releasing an F-100 in 80 or 90mm one of these years, I would have to have one.

Just not willing here to grow older without having one to fly......:)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	4750B8D4-B335-42DA-8776-BAB2FC09380D.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	274200 Once Alpha and the team have knocked out a 1600mm FW190 and P40 which would make me VERY happy I’d love it if they made available a decent sized Dash 8. Yep..a modern(ish) civilian aircraft to complement the AL37 airliner but cover off a twin turbo prop. These things seem to be almost everywhere as an airline staple and I think it would open up a multitude of different airline schemes for people to personalise.....from what I’ve seen it’s not aircraft that seems to be modelled much. Now back to the warbirds .....

Cheers
                                Kurt

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
                                  Now the question I have for Alpha : Would An Ho-229 be released under the Flightline brand, or Freewing?
                                  Yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Yes.
                                    The dreaded OR statement, I fell for it

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post

The dreaded OR statement, I fell for it
                                      Here, this should help:

Comment

• Never gets old!

Comment