First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickstop
    replied
    Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
    Here's the foam hinge fix. Its called welder contact adhesive. Rich Baker did a video on YouTube as the rc informer, and shows how it's done. Just did it on my 70mm f16, and it's bullet proof. The video is a must see. Even on a new plane, if you coat the hinge line with a brush it will likely never come apart.
    I've used this to great effect, made a hinge for my freewing f-16 elevator and has worked great for over a year now, very strong and very flexible. There are a bunch of different kinds. plumbing household, etc. but they are all exactly the same.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RCjetdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Russ View Post
    Will FoamTac work the same way for hinge bolstering?
    Yes. The stuff is great for it.

Leave a comment:

• RCjetdude
    replied
    That is where I have my Admiral 4000 Pro. I would think the 5000 is a heavier battery.

Leave a comment:

• Apriliamgt
    replied
    This currently where I have the 5000 set to. And using the points James has set out for cg?

look about right?

Leave a comment:

• Russ
    replied
    Will FoamTac work the same way for hinge bolstering?

Leave a comment:

• TiredIronGRB
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Cool, have you flown it yet?

Yes, I have 4 flights on it...pretty fast ;)

Leave a comment:

• Captain Moron
    replied
    Thanks Alpha, that is different to the manual but looks about right so I will try your C of G .I am sure you are right

Leave a comment:

• scootergenie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scootergenie
    replied
    Here's the foam hinge fix. Its called welder contact adhesive. Rich Baker did a video on YouTube as the rc informer, and shows how it's done. Just did it on my 70mm f16, and it's bullet proof. The video is a must see. Even on a new plane, if you coat the hinge line with a brush it will likely never come apart.

Leave a comment:

• Alpha
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
    So what C of G did you fly yours on .The manual puts it at the leading edge of the wing but on this forum they are saying 60mm aft of the leading edge .I am confused on where to put my C of G .Need to sort this out before I fly mine HELP
    Hi CaptainMoron, see James' post on the previous page for better clarification and photos:

Click image for larger version Name: Views: 0 Size: 144.5 KB ID: 194114 attachment Shipment on the water.... Pre-Order now! https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...mm-edf-jet-pnp (https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-f-35-lightning-ii-v3-70mm-edf-jet-pnp) Motion RC and Freewing are excited to announce our all

I balance my finger where his are in his picture according to those markings, and that's where I've been flying the majority of our test flights.

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    Cool, have you flown it yet?

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
    I put the 80mm Mirage 9 blade and 100A ESC in mine :Silly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190602_234029922_iOS.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	198049

Name:	20190603_185314151_iOS.jpg
Views:	1282
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	198047

Name:	20190603_185252524_iOS.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	198048

Name:	20190603_185232818_iOS.jpg
Views:	1260
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	198050

Name:	20190603_192237311_iOS.jpg
Views:	1223
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	198051

Leave a comment:

• Captain Moron
    replied
    So what C of G did you fly yours on .The manual puts it at the leading edge of the wing but on this forum they are saying 60mm aft of the leading edge .I am confused on where to put my C of G .Need to sort this out before I fly mine HELP

Leave a comment:

• RCjetdude
    replied
    Good news is your Hawk has lasted, right?
    Yes the hinges have held up. Even through a vertical fin separating in flight because I failed to install the screws that secured it after having to remove it for transport. :Loser: Even with that though I have found foam hinges are fairly easy to fix with a little Foam Tac and some Blenderm. If they get really bad then nylon hinges are the answer but so far I haven't had to resort to any.

Leave a comment:

• TiredIronGRB
    replied
    I put the 80mm Mirage 9 blade and 100A ESC in mine :Silly:

Name:	20190602_234029922_iOS.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	198049

Name:	20190603_185314151_iOS.jpg
Views:	1282
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	198047

Name:	20190603_185252524_iOS.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	198048

Name:	20190603_185232818_iOS.jpg
Views:	1260
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	198050

Name:	20190603_192237311_iOS.jpg
Views:	1223
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	198051

Leave a comment:

• fredmdbud
    replied
    From the many screwdrivers included in previous kits (Su-35, 64mm F/A-18E, T-45), it was no biggie for me. That the screwdrivers were also magnetized (from the handle) sure came in handy. :)

Leave a comment:

• Russ
    replied
    Good news is your Hawk has lasted, right?

Leave a comment:

• Quickstop
    replied
    What? no screwdriver....then I'm not getting one!:Silly: oops never mind, I already did!

Leave a comment:

• RCjetdude
    replied
    The 70mm Hawk did not.

Leave a comment:

• Russ
    replied
    RcJetDude,

My 64mm Freewing Panther uses nylon hinges stock. $90 plane.

Here is what they say on Motion RC site:
    Nylon hinges on all control surfaces (superior to a foam hinge)

I've had the Panther for many years now.

Leave a comment:

• RCjetdude
    replied
    Click image for larger version Name:	F-35 trunk.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	198000Click image for larger version Name:	F35 bottom.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	198001Click image for larger version Name:	F35 Cockpit bottom.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	198002Click image for larger version Name:	F35 Almost completed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	198003Click image for larger version Name:	F35 Cockpit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	198004Click image for larger version Name:	F35 Fuselage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.4 KB ID:	198005Click image for larger version Name:	F35 Rudder installed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	198006Click image for larger version Name:	F35 wing bottom.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.5 KB ID:	198007Click image for larger version Name:	F35 Wing install.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.4 KB ID:	198008Click image for larger version Name:	F35 Completed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	198009

I just completed my F-35 in EXACTLY one hour during my lunch at work!

No radio setup just build of pieces in the box.

Impressions:

PROS:
    1. Drop dead gorgeous finish!
    2. No-glue build is easy and no alignment issues. (Although I'm kinda iffy on those plastic elevator hinges for longevity)
    3.Had an owner's manual with mine, all the basics were there but not much more. Most of you won't need it.
    4. All hardware included but it would have been nice if they included a phillips head screwdriver cos I don't have screwdrivers at work

5. Retracts and landing gear look good and substantial
    6. Perfect fit in the trunk of my Nissan Altima !!!

CONS:
    1. No screwdriver included
    2. Hinges were not installed at factory
    ...cmon Freewing that was lame! All my other Freewing come with em installed. Also, that sheet of plastic hinges looked terrible...I would never use them...I'll put in my own good quality ones (after a successful maiden)
    3. Underside paint flakes off easily...I barely touched it with a fingernail while installing horizontal stab and a little piece flicked off. Easy fix and I will be putting several coats of WBPU on there for sure.
    Looking forward to setting up the electronics and flying her sometime soon.
    Here are some build pics...

Russ, to my knowledge none of the 70mm Freewing offering has come with anything more than molded foam hinges. The spare hinges that come with it are intended as repair hinges if ever needed and have come with many other kits in this size range. Use them or use something else if you wish. Again they are a plan B. Personally I haven't missed the screwdriver. Mine came with a damaged nose cone which I have already repaired.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X