X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Arrows twin 64mm Mig-29 on 6s power

Since it looks like the flaps can be used as aileron in pictures I'm planning on not doing the rudder air brakes but am doing full span ailerons and full span flaps. I'll have each servo going direct to a separate receiver channel except the rudders, I'll list them below. On my DX18 I turn on dual aileron, flaps elevator, and rudders. I also mix the steering servo in to the rudder stick.

I have normal ailerons, flaps, elevators and rudders on mode 0. I do have ailerons mixed to left elevator for tailerons when I have my aileron triple rate on high. This is on in all three modes.

Mode 1 turns on fulls span flaps.

Mode 2 turns on crow with appropriate elevator compensation. Crow is ailerons up and flaps down.

The channels (may not be in my actual order);

Throttle
    R Aileron
    R Elevator
    Rudder
    Gear
    R Flap
    L Aileron
    L Elevator
    L Flap
    Steering
    And the last thing is the wings are not matching, the left one has a pretty severe twist.
    Headed out to maiden now...
    Attached Files

Maiden done balanced at 100mm is good. Flies well. Even with firmed up nose suspension it’s too soft.

After a handful of flights 105mm would be better. 100 needed a touch of down trim. At 100 throws are good. I have tailerons mixed to ailerons and on all high rates it does okay snaps. 3:30 is all I can get out of a 3500 with mixed flying. It’s an okay plane. Not up to FreeWing 90mm F-22 or similar. About the same as EFlites big SU.

Oh and turn the steering down to 50%.

Comment

Did the twist in the left wing require some aileron trim?

Comment

Yes

Comment

With 20 flights this little plane is moving up to a top 3. My 8S Avanti and L-39 are also up in the top 3. Just below are my 8S Thrust Vectored F-22, 8S F-18 and always fun hotted up Mirage.

If I was flying this built per the manual on a 4000 pack it would be lucky to be still in my hanger. The extra weight would require a lot of up trim and that would cause all sorts of flying issues, crap corkscrew rolls, tons of up elevator to land and that up elevator causes a lot of drag. Also the soft front spring and having the crazy steering throw using the 3 way Y would cause horrible landings.

If you build it stock balance it at 100mm and reduce the throw in the nose steering mechanically to about 50-60%. And add a spacer to stiffen up that nose suspension, 1/4 to 3/8" spacer.

But that fixes the basics, landings, steering and elevator authority. The little MiG also needs more roll. The flaps only go down so full span flaps are out. The alternative is tailerons. Pull the Y off the elevators when you build it and use extensions to plug each servo into it's own slot. This gives you the roll rate this plane should have. Even then it does have a slight corkscrew to it with the stock stab incidence. To get a much better roll I also added a down mix when I give roll commands. With this and the extra speed you get having a better balanced plane it is a fairly fast plane with a really good roll rate.

Flying is not the only thing I really like about it. The size point is awesome. The price is good, the foam quality is great, overall appearance is great. AND NO BLUE BOX. Top 3 material.

I think I'll get a spare for Fathers Day.

Comment

Do-it-yourself afterburners in mine.

Roll rate is rather slow, planning to go to tailerons.

Comment

Are you guys using 100% travel on the tailerons? Are you using the stock elevator servos or has anyone changed them out?

Comment

Working...
              X