Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Skynetic 64mm Neptune EDF Jet Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you are ready, let's talk about the parts layout in the tiny battery compartment.

Comment

I'm thinking the 40amp ESC that comes with the newest version Neptune might be OK. It's rated for 4s operation. I'll put everything through my amp meter to make sure it doesn't pull more than about 38 amps. If it pulls more than that, I'll use a 60 amp ESC I have laying around.

Comment

Originally posted by Falkoner View Post
        Hi all,
        let me give a short introduction so you get a clue about my interest and idea why I'm planning to get this RC-Wing and where my hopefully not too stupid questions are coming from....Sorry for the long post and looking forward for ANY useful hints, suggestions and ideas! :-)

Best regards,
        Andy
        All the birds around our flying field are terrified of the sound RC planes make. They stay well clear of anything in the air.

Comment

deleted.

Comment

Took my Neptune out to our Charlotte Aeromodellers field yesterday and it was a big hit. I think a couple guys went home and ordered them. Some were talking about using it for FPV, but I don't think there is enough room for the gear in that tiny fuselage compartment.

Comment

What power setup did you end up using? Can you post a picture of the innards ?

Comment

Here is mine with a 4S2200 pack - very tight. 55 Amp ESC on the left, receiver on the right. You need to get the antennas away from the battery to avoid loss of signal, preferably outside the compartment and on the wing. I had to cut bigger air vent hole over the ESC and add a scoop to force air by it and enlarge the outlet hole. As I build the next one, I may move the RX out of the battery compartment and embed it in the wing.
                Others in our club have stuck the ESC through the hatch with the heatsink sticking out.

Comment

No picture necessary of my innards. Everything is just crammed into that tiny compartment under the canopy.

Got the same 4s EDF as you on order, but delivery is running really slow. I'm thinking I will mount my 60 amp ESC outside on top, just in front of the EDF when I install everything. That will help it cool and will make more room inside the fuse.

I'm thinking also thinking about addressing what you said about the battery interfering with signal to the receiver. I'm using an AR620 which has never given me signal troubles in the past and it's too bulky to mount outside. So not sure what I'll do there.

Comment

I'll look at the ESC placement again. You only need 3 channels, so something smaller than the AR620 will work. The new AR410 and AR620 were tested by a HH Team friend of mine and they do have very good range.

Comment

Comment

Haha, that's from the 1970's - but I still have it and I fly all size gliders and sailplanes. Also speedy hotliners, scale, sport, UMX, indoor and occasionally freeflight.

Oops, that would be my RCG profile with a glider. The Squawk profile is a SAM model, a 2X size Airborne.

Comment

Originally posted by Louierc View Post
                          Haha, that's from the 1970's - but I still have it and I fly all size gliders and sailplanes. Also speedy hotliners, scale, sport, UMX, indoor and occasionally freeflight.
                          Man, you do it all! Looking more closely, I see that is not a glider in your pic. I fly mostly 3D but dabble in other things. I have been flying a Vista Grande when conditions are right for thermals and really enjoy the hunt for lift.

Comment

Nope, no helis, only small indoor quads, no real 3D.

Comment

The 4s setup made a huge difference in the way my Neptune flies. Only a little faster, but much more thrust and power. As Louie said, the plane will take directly off of our grass field without having to toss it. Guys at the field were talking about how cool the ground take-off looked, mine will get off the ground in about 15 feet. It will taxi a little too.

Mounting the bigger ESC on top of the plane, in front of the EDF, worked out well too. The ESC ran perfectly cool up there and it made a lot more room under the canopy for the bigger 4s battery. The ESC doesn't look as bad as I expected sitting on top of the plane like that either.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Good deal ! I may try the ESC there.

Comment

Good deal ! I may try the ESC there.
                                  It sure made life easier.

Comment

Here is my version. I smoked one 55 Amp ESC because I couldn't get the heat out of the battery compartment. On this one I cut a recess in front of the fan as deep as possible without getting into the finger holes, with the flat heatsink on top and pockets for the bumps on the circuit board. I had a 60 Amp Eflite ESC so I lengthened the battery leads on the ESC and shortened the motor leads to the nub. I drilled in the power leads on both sides of the hatch magnet and slit the servo lead in the foam from the top.

I bedded the ESC in a bunch of 5 minute epoxy.

Now I have good airflow over the ESC heatsink, room for the 4S battery and AR410 RX without crowding.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is my version. I smoked one 55 Amp ESC because I couldn't get the heat out of the battery compartment. On this one I cut a recess in front of the fan as deep as possible without getting into the finger holes, with the flat heatsink on top and pockets for the bumps on the circuit board. I had a 60 Amp Eflite ESC so I lengthened the battery leads on the ESC and shortened the motor leads to the nub. I drilled in the power leads on both sides of the hatch magnet and slit the servo lead in the foam from the top.

I bedded the ESC in a bunch of 5 minute epoxy.

Now I have good airflow over the ESC heatsink, room for the 4S battery and AR410 RX without crowding.
                                      Looks great! Now you have room under your canopy and a cool ESC!

Comment

Has anyone used an Admiral RX600SP in this wing, the photos I've seen it looks a little tight.

Comment

Originally posted by harrispat View Post
                                          Has anyone used an Admiral RX600SP in this wing, the photos I've seen it looks a little tight.
                                          The compartment is very tight - 4S2200 seems be a popular battery which takes up most of the area. Those of us that have moved up to 4S use a higher current ESC, That requires more cooling unless you move it outside.
                                          I can't see the need for a stabilizing receiver, this wing flies smoothly and is not twitchy.

Comment

Working...
                                          X