X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom View Post
    There were two goals for this model: 1) Make it fast, 2) Make it scale.
    Personally, I could care less about fast. Agility (thrust vectoring!) is much more exciting. Fast gets boring fast.

Comment

The 6S version and 8S version inrunner motors and EDF units are 100% new. We will have them on Motion RC soon. This is the 8S:

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	363810​​
      Tom, I know about the new 4068 line of motors. I ordered one already to put in my F18.

BUT, the pictures and info on Freewing's site show a different EDF with a plastic housing and a 3668 motor. Haven't seen any info on this EDF until today.

Comment

The Eufi manual contains specs of the 6s unit. I‘m happy to see that a realistic voltage number has been taken! It would be great to get the 8s specs as well.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Tom. Always a please dealing with you and Motion.

The 6S version and 8S version inrunner motors and EDF units are 100% new. We will have them on Motion RC soon. This is the 8S:

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	363810​​

Comment

I have some specs for the 8S. I don't have quite as many details as those in the manual for the 6S. Here is what I know about the 8S version:
            4075-1350Kv inrunner motor
            90mm 12B EDF with metal frame
            Weight of EDF + Motor = 558g
            Current 105A - 110A
            Wattage 3100W
            Thrust 5500g - 5700g

Comment

Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

Tom, I know about the new 4068 line of motors. I ordered one already to put in my F18.

BUT, the pictures and info on Freewing's site show a different EDF with a plastic housing and a 3668 motor. Haven't seen any info on this EDF until today.
              The 6S version uses an all new 3668 motor (all new motor and all new plastic EDF).
              The 8S version uses an all new 4075 motor (all new motor and metal EDF housing). I posted 8S specs above

Comment

The 6S version uses an al new 3668 motor (all new motor and all new plastic EDF).
                The 8S version uses an all new 4075 motor (all new motor and metal EDF housing). I posted 8S specs above
                Thanks for the info Tom!!

Comment

I have some specs for the 8S. I don't have quite as many details as those in the manual for the 6S. Here is what I know about the 8S version:
                  4075-1350Kv inrunner motor
                  90mm 12B EDF with metal frame
                  Weight of EDF + Motor = 558g
                  Current 105A - 110A
                  Wattage 3100W
                  Thrust 5500g - 5700g
                  Thanks, Tom!

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Let me first congratulate MRC and Freewing for essentially bringing to life one of my wettest dreams. There are a couple of things I'd have preferred to see done differently but overall this looks like it's going to be one of the best Freewing EDFs ever and it looks glorious on most accounts!

Here's a quick review:

Gorgeous looking Spanish 'Ala 14' special livery (Nato Tiger Meet 2018).

Full ordnance, with 10 hardpoints:
                    - 4x fuselage mounted hardpoints for missiles
                    - 6x wing mounted rails for missiles / bombs / fuel tanks

Really scale looking and include decals.

Functioning scale airbrake, operating on a linear electric actuator (not yet clear if proportional or binaric operation).
                    Very scale looking nozzles too (no thrust vectoring though).

There's plenty of space for 6S batteries but not clear if the jet will be easy to mod to include 4S batteries aft of the compartment as it was often done with the previous version. It remains to be seen how easy it is to move CG around on this one, but judging from the leaked videos, it seems like it's pretty decent as it is. I assume there's space under battery tray to add some additional electronic components.

The canard horns are plastic instead of CNC... but hey!

Looks like it's gonna be a bit cramped there, but that's kinda to be expected on the Eurofighter. Compartment design looks pretty decent.

My biggest gripe with the new Euro is that they didn't implement full-span elevons, but looking on the bright side, they enlarged the surface of the existing elevons and hinged them in a more scale way similar to the F-22 and MiG-29 scale-looking hinges that don't leave a gap. Also, unlike the Gripen, the screw retainer for the wing sits forward enough to allow an easy mod to make the elevons full-span for diehards like me :)

Gear doors don't leave gaps, giving the best scale looks, so that's amazing too! :D

And the fuselage hardpoints appear to be detachable, so that's great too, plenty of options to configure ordnance loadout! :)

New EDFs promise to be really powerful judging by the leaked video and promise of 194 kph top speed on clean configuration.
                    This jet will probably achieve over 1:1 T/W ratio or be very close on stock 6S setup judging by this, but we'll see.

It's also noteworthy that unlike the previous iteration of the FW Euro, this one uses a single wing spar. This will improve airflow and performance.
                    - V1 Euro had none, also no cheaters and but had TV which also hindered airflow.
                    - V2 Euro had two spars, one ahead EDF, one behind. This didn't just affect efficiency but messed the thrustline. V2 also didn't have cheaters and the added landing gear doors totally messed up the ducts internally. I really hope the new euro is better in that regard. And it had TV as well.
                    - NEW EURO has a single spar ahead of EDF, so despite affecting airflow, it won't mess up with thrustline as V2. Belly and top fuselage cheaters will help a lot though, and hopefully the gear doors have been redesigned in a way to be less intrusive.

Canards have aligning marks which is great to set a common reference point and CG markers were actually pretty good on the original Euro, I wonder if they went for the same or updated the CG position. One way or another, it's cool to have the marks as reference points for measuring and comparing CGs :)

That's surprising... the new Euro has reverse-thrust function to brake during landing!
                    This will come handy for asphalt runway users.

Notice also this time the jet accurately represents wing twist, judging by the wingtip rails orientation. Maybe it's just the rails and not the wings, but here's to hoping! At the very least we got the scale looks of it :)

Spring loaded top cheaters to open only when necessary through pressure difference.
                    (+ NACA-duct style bottom cheaters)

A switch allows to control gear door operation (whether they close back after extending the landing gear to protect
                    the doors). This is a big deal to be able to protect gear doors on grass runways but easily turning them back on for 'scale looks' when flying from paved runways. I wish there was an option too, to switch between strobing nav lights and fixed nav lights but guess that's asking too much, haha! :D

Truly scale looking CNC landing gear, grey-painted and with nose gear slightly tilted forward which in addition to scale look, improves impact resistance:

Functioning navigation lights, scale (2x) landing lights (one on each main landing gear door) and FORMATION LIGHTS! WOW!

HIGHLIGHTS:

Wing twist accurately represented with tips not aligning with fuselage (hell yeah!).

Some of the molded and plastic scale details include IRST pod, refueling probe 'bulge', AoA vanes, tail hook, antennas, vortex generator plates (aft of canards).​

Comment

8s, reverse and airbrake ...................... that does it for me. I can even get used to the kittie cat on the tail if it comes with those 3 things. No VT? That's fine by me. It got old real quick while speed never gets dull.

Comment

My wife- "buy it!"

Me- "I can't!!"

Comment

Anyone notice it had two cheater holes on top of the fuselage?, not happy about that, but hey we got to gripe about something or its just no fun here, I don't hang around here much anymore so I have to complain about something to keep this thread alive until March...

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            8s, reverse and airbrake ...................... that does it for me. I can even get used to the kittie cat on the tail if it comes with those 3 things. No VT? That's fine by me. It got old real quick while speed never gets dull.
                            For once I'm okay with the kittie on the tail, never had one jet with it, will be the first for me....

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                              Anyone notice it had two cheater holes on top of the fuselage?, not happy about that, but hey we got to gripe about something or its just no fun here, I don't hang around here much anymore so I have to complain about something to keep this thread alive until March...
                              OK, so we save the wing leading edge shape and the German nomenclature at the speed brake for later!

Comment

Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

OK, so we save the wing leading edge shape and the German nomenclature at the speed brake for later!

Comment

Delete

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                    My wife- "buy it!"

Me- "I can't!!"
                                    The more typical scenario ....................................
                                    Me - "I'm gonna buy it."
                                    Wife - "I don't think so, Tim!"
                                    They're spring loaded, so closed when not needed.
                                    For once I'm okay with the kittie on the tail, never had one jet with it, will be the first for me....

I have several. Too much kittie litter.

Comment

Man, those spring loaded air intakes are pretty dang cool if you ask me!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

Man, those spring loaded air intakes are pretty dang cool if you ask me!
                                        See, someone else is happy, no wonder we drive all the people in charge of development nuts....

Comment

I'm so hyped for this new Euro, I've started editing my pending V2 Eurofighter videos, lol, hahaha!

Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                                          X