Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deadbug View Post
    8S Maiden Report:

Late this afternoon I completed the maiden plus two additional flights.

CG exactly on factory marks with gear down (since nose gear retracts forward)
    All control horn positions moved in towards servo by two holes--using the third on from the end.
    All control deflections matched the manual settings except elevator in HIGH (100%) . As I suspected, book deflections, especially the elevator were way too much for this type of jet. Flap settings are per the manual.

Maiden = 2X SMC 4S 5900 HCL/HVP
    2nd Flight = 2X SMC 4S 6200 HCL/HVP
    3rd Flight = 2X SMC 4S 5900 HCL/HVP

RX =Spektrum AR8360T SMART with AS3X and SAFE (maiden conducted gyro-off)

Observations:
    I was actually pleasantly surprised with how the airplane flew once I got it trimmed up. With my gyro off, I conducted stalls clean and in the landing configuration with full flaps, upright and inverted spins, attemped snap rolls with only pitch inputs--no rudder--upright and inverted. Also tried inverted loop--was successful in low rate elevator (who wants to do that though)--but in 100% high rates (remember I moved my elevator control horn out of the "3D" factory position) she definitely snapped out of the maneuver. Not dramatic but definitely wants to snap pushing forward on the stick. I can imagine if Evan used full book elevator why that got his attention When my gyro was in the AS3X flight mode, it was noticeably more resistant to snaps.

I noticed no unusual behavior during the full aft-stick stalls in any configuration--nothing different than other sport jets (other than the Avanti) and definitely much more tame than the Havoc Xe.

I was really surprised that I did NOT notice any nose-down tendency when pushing up power to full during a go-around or low pass.

Landings really reminded me of the Havoc--my first few were purposely fast, then I started slowing them down and even tried holding it off until the stall (but just an inch or two above the runway) Unlike the Havoc, which would drop a wing if you breathed to hard during the flare, I couldn't get the wing to drop even when running the 2 X 4S 6200's. I wouldn't try holding it off though unless you could keep it within an inch or so of the runway.

At the CG marks--I found that I did NOT need the down flap/elevator mix the manual gives. I got rid of them on the second flight. Flew on final so much better and the flare was nicer. Note my stab trim at Book CG in pic below. I am feeling compelled to move it back as I just don't like the up elevator trim required at that CG.

Thrust Reverse - Well I was disappointed--it helped a bit, but not as effective for braking as other jets I have. I have a mix set with the reverse channel mixed with throttle, so all I have to do after touchdown and in idle is hit my "G" switch full up and it goes to 100% reverse power.

All in all I like the jet and will continue to explore her performance envelope. Oh, I did have a broken cloud layer a little bit of haze and I did find the airplane a little difficult to see when I was high and the sun wasn't shining on the plane. When it did--it stood out nicely. The upper fuse EPO above the intakes is softer than I'm used to--put a nice thumbprint dent on it as I was rotating the airplane off the stand.

I didn't do any speed runs today--I was more interested in exploring the flight characteristics. Those are easy and will be later. Hope this helps those who are waiting to maiden theirs.
    DB​

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeus elevator trim.jpg
Views:	1492
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	390062
    Great report! What flight times are you getting on 8S? Favorite batteries?

Comment

Flight time is totally dependent on your throttle management style. I have my timer (throttle output+25%) set for 3:30 but monitor telemetry flight pack voltage as the real landing decision. When not doing any speed runs and using mixed throttle for acro I am getting 4 mins or so till I hit storage voltage (30.4) inflight at or near idle…and land. Multiple speed runs and I'm at 3-3:30.

i only use SMC LiHV flight packs charged to 4.35V per cell (see maiden report you quoted above),
      DB​

Comment

I'm a turbine guy, not well versed on EDF. Have a ton of 6s 5000 packs, are most of you guys just adding a 2s 5000 to get to 8s? I see someoene above was using two 4s packs.... Does either combo have an advantage?

Comment

No advantage. Go with what makes sense money wise.

Comment

Hello, did the ZEUS 8s will re-stock soon on Motion EU ? I wanted to order for Christmas but it is month that is out of stock...

Comment

Just received my Zeus 8s ...what a great model.Someone is reporting on socials that he have crashed it due to a failure of the. stock esc especially on excess timing of the motor and a bad Bec ,he suggest to put an external one to be safe .Did you have any failure on your zeus due to electronics ?

Comment

The Zeus electronics, ESC with the BEC have proven very reliable. The new 120A 8S reversible ESC is now in all the 90mm FreeWing plane, both 6S and 8S. Could there be a bad one, sure, but...

Comment

Others says that on Zeus 8s the problem is the motor timing that exceed the max amps on the esc... I want to be sure before my maiden.Thanks for your replay !

Comment

Are you changing the timing? Have you put a watt meter on it to see?

Again I don't know of anyone saying they have had a problem with the ESC failing even using HV batteries. If people make modifications or change settings I could see problems arising but haven't heard of any.

Do you have a link to these reported failures?

Comment

No I havent change the timing ...If I put my watt meter how can I see the timing of the motor on it ? These reported failure are on Facebook on motion rc customer community.

Comment

The Watt meter tells you amps and watts, not timing. If timing is increasing the amps to a dangerous amount you can see it with the watt meter.

Again I haven't heard of any problems with this ESC. I do know a lot of people swap out ESCs or add external BECs in general, some use a LiFe receiver battery. A lot of people swap out all the servos too. Some go to HV servos. If you are worried do what ypu want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          The Watt meter tells you amps and watts, not timing. If timing is increasing the amps to a dangerous amount you can see it with the watt meter.

Again I haven't heard of any problems with this ESC. I do know a lot of people swap out ESCs or add external BECs in general, some use a LiFe receiver battery. A lot of people swap out all the servos too. Some go to HV servos. If you are worried do what ypu want to do.
                          I'll certainly will do.Thank you for your advises.

Comment

There is no issue with the amps using the stock 8S fan and default esc timing settings. Yes the timing is quite high at 20 degrees but will not exceed the rating using std voltage , 4.2V lipos.
                            Even using 4.35V lipos, the amps peak at 122 before quickly dropping below 120A.

Comment

Getting to know my Zeus, but not loving the paint scheme (why they would make a plane the color of the sky is beyond my pay grade to figure out). So, I had to make it look like a Vulcan, best I could. This thing pops in the sky!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Getting to know my Zeus, but not loving the paint scheme (why they would make a plane the color of the sky is beyond my pay grade to figure out). So, I had to make it look like a Vulcan, best I could. This thing pops in the sky!
                                Attached Files

Comment

I’ve read here that I should be pulling around 120amps wide open throttle on a fully charged 8s lipo.
                                  Best I read on my watt meter is 87amps static on the bench. Timing is set at 20*, throttle calibrated with 2 x Zee 4s 6000 fully charged packs.
                                  where am I going wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Pearson View Post
                                    I’ve read here that I should be pulling around 120amps wide open throttle on a fully charged 8s lipo.
                                    Best I read on my watt meter is 87amps static on the bench. Timing is set at 20*, throttle calibrated with 2 x Zee 4s 6000 fully charged packs.
                                    where am I going wrong?
                                    I'm concerned regarding the amp draw with my Freewing Zeus. I bought the Zeus with the 6s fan and motor setup which when i checked it draws 135amps! it drops to 125amps as the battery's settle in but its still a lot and at the very least don't like to push my packs that hard.. I queried this with Motion RC and they said that this was normal for the Zeus? not sure why they would supply a 120amp ESC if that was they knew this setup draws more than its spec but it would soon have been returned if it blew. I now have the 8s fan and motor from Motion installed, same ESC as advised by Motion RC but it still draws a little less at 130amps again dropping to 120 as the pack voltage settels, still a lot higher than I feel comfortable with. I have read on the web that the timing with the ESC in the Zeus may be set a little high at the factory? Recommended for these 4pole motors I believe is 5deg but have had reports of them being shipped with up to 20deg. I asked Motion which program card do I need to at least check and if necessary change it. Unfortunately they don't stock anything themselves (strange). They did recommended though the "Hobbywing Multifunction LCD Program Box" so £30+ later I have one but it seems incompatible, the box is on the latest software but its not recognising this ESC or any of the ESCs that Freewing use for that matter, I have quite a few Freewing ESCs and have tried them all with no luck. Which program card are you guys using?

Comment

I'm using the one that has two square looking display at the top of it. I was having a hard time getting it to work. Until, I followed the picture diagram. I think the literatur instruction is different and confusing from the picture diagram. Plug it up exactly like how it is in the picture diagram.

Comment

Setting up my 8s Zeus now. Only getting 7 short beeps before the long one from the ESC when plugging in. Is this correct? I verified the ESC and the motor are the 8s version. When I go into the programming to manually change the cell detection it only gives me options up to 6s. I tried multiple packs. All SMV HV wired in series at storage voltage. My 8s F-22 counted the same packs correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                        X