You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will Freewing come out with a F-4 Phantom II?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi ddsjoseph, welcome to Hobbysquawk! Thanks for your input on a Phantom. I too had an LX Phantom once. It wasn't my favorite bird, either. The old Fly Fly F-4 was more to my liking, especially after a Jepe optimization kit.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Alpha-I'll take two Starships....thanks!!! ;)

Comment

You want to talk livery for Legacy Hornets? VFA-113 SuperBee, and yes it was the real deal Twin 80 or 90 and I'd hand you my wallet...
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
          Death Rattlers is a neat livery. Any reason in particular why you're fond of that squadron's markings?
          As far as VMF-323, well my coousin was in and he was 323 in the early to mid eighties. My dad worked on A-4 s in the early 60's(second on wishlist) would love to get one of his VMA-223, he's been waiting for me to call and say I got an A-4. I did 2 weeks with VMFA-323 (f-18) for ojt before my orders came through for hueys & cobras. I learned to love them, but F-4 still my all time favorite.

Comment

Oh BTW when I saw the F-7F decals have USMC scheme, makes me want to pick it up too ;)

Comment

Alpha,
              I understand your business model and MotionRC is my go-to hobby shop. If you produce a quality F-4 Phantom II, I will be the first to buy them!
              Thank you!
              TPS

Comment

The LX model is currently residing in my attic, and the spiders and bugs are taking turns pretending that they are flying. The thought that I had for this carcass, since it is still in one piece, is to cut it up and use it to make a fiberglass fuselage off of. Then I can have foam cores cut for the wings and stabs, and VIOLA!! Pretty new Phantom!! Anybody else tried anything like this? I am doing a B-1B in much the same way, except I am having to carve that one!!

PS: YES PLEASE FREEWING F-4E PHANTOM II!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                  The F-14 was a "unicorn" for many people, and for years we've all read the countless posts from people proclaiming they'd buy a big F-14 in a heartbeat. Long story, we made a big F-14, and a year later it's still a great seller (one of our top five), but I must also recognize that many of those who said they'd buy one, didn't. Obviously we don't take it personally, this is a fact of life in consumer products.
                  I was really excited for the F-14 but was disappointed when I learned that it needed 4000 mAh batteries, I have 4500 and 5000's. I couldn't justify spending a bunch of money on another battery size for that plane, that's what killed it for me. I drool every time I look at the plane. I offer this as a data point as to why maybe some planes don't sell as well as expected based on users saying they want it.

Comment

I have it the other way,3300-4000 batteries. Don't want to buy 5000, hence my desire for a 80mm -90mm single F-4

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

I was really excited for the F-14 but was disappointed when I learned that it needed 4000 mAh batteries, I have 4500 and 5000's. I couldn't justify spending a bunch of money on another battery size for that plane, that's what killed it for me. I drool every time I look at the plane. I offer this as a data point as to why maybe some planes don't sell as well as expected based on users saying they want it.
                      there are many owners who use 5000s in it.. thats what I will be using in mine.
                      www.TSHobbies.com
                      Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

I use 4400s without any issue in my F-14. Chris (The RC Geek) uses 6000s with a few minor mods, so there should be no problem running 4500s or 5000s.

Comment

I prefer 4000s, but have used 5000s and 5800s. The 5000s are simple to fit, simply unscrew the top wood plate. No cutting needed anywhere, no modifications.

We purposely design a wide battery range for aircraft where possible. But, in the same way Eflite recommends a 3s 1800 pack for their PZ T-28 yet we all know it can fly a 3s 3000 just fine, manufacturers will often spec the lightest possible arrangement because in general planes fly better when lighter. Not all planes, but it's a good general rule.

Any twin 80mm we make, for the record, will be capable of fitting and balancing with 4000 and 5000, because we design them to fit/CG from the start. So, don't let that dissuade you from owning an F-14D ;)

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

Hey Dave, All that I ever flew in mine were 5000mAh Turnigy Heavy Duty 65C. I upgraded it to the 1820kv inrunners, kept it on the stock ESCs, and she is a joy to fly! I have recently re-painted her in the VX-4 Evaluators Black Bunny scheme with decals from www.callie-graphics.com. Looks AWESOME!!

Comment

Sign me up for a Phantom by FW...My goodness, a quality F4 80mm/90mm EDF done properly would be a home run.
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I don't want to derail this thread but regarding the F-14 the website says 4000 batteries and someone asked this question on the website "Will admiral 4500 mah batteries fit in this model?" and the Motion reply was "No it is too big for the space allotted for batteries."

If that is not the case I'd suggest removing that question or changing the answer.

This is the ONLY reason I did not buy the F-14, I have set battery sizes and a lot of each size so I can fly a bunch when I go out.

I've now moved past the 4500's (I have two left) and using 5000's in my EDF's (all Admiral brand).

Comment

Dec 21, 2016 marked the end of an era as the final USAF F-4 Phantoms were officially retired.

Comment

Phantom Pharewell!

Comment

Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
                                      Dec 21, 2016 marked the end of an era as the final USAF F-4 Phantoms were officially retired.
                                      The F-4 might be retired from active duty but there is one in flying condition in civilian hands with the Collins Foundation. They offer rides or training to actually fly the F-4. It cost $12,500 to ride in it. It might be pricey but it is still less than going to Russian to fly in a Mig-29, which by the way cost $14,940 not including a ticket to get there. If I ever get a hold of a large amount of money I am going for a ride in the mighty F-4 Phantom!

The Collins Foundation also has a TA-4J Skyhawk that they also offer rides in for $8,000

Take Our Word For It... These Are SERIOUS Rides...As someone who has been fortunate enough to log time in both the F-4 (with the US Marine Corps) and in a nu...

Comment

Amazing to see that they were still being used today with all the newer tech airframes in service.
                                        I can remember back in the mid 70's when the last Navy F-4's flew off the Nimitz when replaced by the F-14.
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

That would be amazing but wow that's steep! I think I'll pass and go for the Bucket List P-51D Mustang flight from Stallion 51 for $2,500 instead. :D
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X