X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick227 View Post
    Well #2 had the expiration date come sooner than I'd like.....hazy day and got a little too far out as I was setting up for landing...disoriented and lost her......don't think I will get another one.....it's just too small for me to see .....getting old I guess....
    I have found that flying at dusk or at dawn with good navigational lights actually makes it easier to keep track and tell the orientation of the plane. I have found the GT Power light kit available from MRC to work really well.
    Just make sure to put the red and green LEDs on the wing tips facing forward and the blinking white strobs on the rear of the wing tips. That way when the plane is flying away from you only the white stobes and red tail light can be seen. And when the plane is flying towards you, you see the solid red and green LEDS.

Me and a friend were able to fly further away with more confidence with full navigational lights at night than during the day.
    I will see if I can add a pic or video of my T-28 latter to show how it looks.

Comment

I'm a little late to this plane, but I am becoming a big believer in Freewing jets.

I am wrapping my plane with Oracal 751 series vinyl film. It will add about 90-95 grams overall once I am done.

I have most of the rear half of the fuselage complete. I'll post more if this works as planned;-)

Comment

How is the spring that closes the nose gear door attached to the door? It looks like a press fit and I can't see any glue on it, but for the life of me I can't get it loose. I'd like to remove the door for painting.

Comment

A Navy Reserve pilot was rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard after his F-5 Tiger II crashed off the coast of Key West, Fla., a Coast Guard spokesperson told USNI News on Wednesday afternoon. According to the Navy, the pilot went down about 20 nautical miles off the coast south east of Key West at about 12:38 p.m. EST during a training operation. “The watchstanders diverted a Coast Guard Air Station Miami MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew and an HC-144 Ocean Sentry airplane crew to conduct a search,” read a statement from the Coast Guard. “The helicopter crew arrived on scene

Comment

Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
            How is the spring that closes the nose gear door attached to the door? It looks like a press fit and I can't see any glue on it, but for the life of me I can't get it loose. I'd like to remove the door for painting.
            You just pull it off. It's a tight fit

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post

You just pull it off. It's a tight fit
              Thanks Alpha10. I finally got it pried loose.

Comment

Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post

Thanks Alpha10. I finally got it pried loose.
                Suckers on their tight man! Ha! I normally just cut the spring and press it back on with a little CA...

Comment

Yeah, that's why I asked about it. I was worried that I was going to damage the door trying to get the spring loose. It also had some type of contact cement applied to it.

I looked but didn't find an "Official" Freewing F-5 thread, so I guess this thread is it.

I have flown mine twice now and I like it. Much more stable than I expected it to be. As someone else said, it flies like a larger plane. I modded mine to pass as a T-38. It is still not a great representation, but it is different than the other F-5s at my club, and looks pretty cool in the air.

Comment

Very cool! Most people wouldn't notice the different nose, but this looks great! Outstanding job.

Comment

Well now, got my F-5 transfered over to a new radio (Futaba 8FG) from a 7C and flew it to get it all set up the way I like it, the take off was all over the place and when I landed it was like a squirrel trying to keep it straight. Of course it was nothing to do with the new radio but it got me wondering if some new rubber tires would help, oh yeah guys, put some new rubber tires on it and wow what a difference, tracked down the runway like it was on rails and when I landed it stayed put, the foam tires were my problem all this time, it will still skid if you turn it to fast but nothing like those foam tires would do, you guys having trouble might want to try some rubber tires. I found some rubber Hanger 9 wheels about the right size, don't look the best but they work, going to find some better looking rubber tires for it, I do think the front nose wheel from the 90mm F-16 will work and fit good for the mains, nose wheel might be harder to find, haven't shopped for any yet, I had these Hanger 9 tires in my parts bin. :Cool:
                      Attached Files

Comment

I flew my FMS 70mm Avanti with my buddies F-5 this past weekend. I am ordering a new set of retract assemblies and will have all new stuff soon. All of the flying had worn out my gear... so it will be back in the air soon...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Working...
                        X